Aperion 6T vs BW CM8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just purchased a pair of BW CM8s. they sound great, however I have deal on some Aperion 6Ts for about half what I paid for the BW and I am just wondering about switching them out? I bought them at BB so I have about 3 weeks to return them if I dont like them...

about 50/50 Music/HT

tried to search but didnt come up with these particular one and thought i would ask opinions...

I have a Pioneer SC 35 Receiver.

Thanks for opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered the 6Ts since they were the last two. I will compare both and send the loser back.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Silly question. what is the best way to compare these two speakers side by side? I mean should I run the setup program in my Pioneer for each when I am comparing them? or just switch between the two?
post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Side by side and run with Pure Direct, maybe? Bypass any MCACC etc.?

I have 6T's, so very interested in what you think. I have never heard/seen BW CM8.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

thats kinda what I was thinking but wasnt sure

thanks

I just lucked out with the 6Ts they were open box on Aperions site so i grabbed them. I was interested in them for a long time but didnt have the money back then... I just got the CM8s about 2 weeks ago. I do like them , but somehow they seem a little too bright to me anyways... and i got the 6Ts and center for about half what I paid for the BWs and Center.

Plus they have a trade in program so if i do like them i can still trade up to the VG if i choose...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/CM8.html

these are the CM8s, mine are rosewood. they look fantastic.

I was reading on the Aperion forums that some people bypass MCACC altogether so maybe I will try that. though not sure how to manually set it up...
post #6 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Although the purest mode will obviously eliminate any coloring done by the receivers processing, I'm not sure it would be how I would audition them. I just replaced my front 3 Klipsch speakers of 17 years with B&W CM9's and a CMC2. The Klipsch's benefited greatly from the Audyssey room correction. So would it be fair to compare the B&W's without? The point being that each speaker is different and each room is different. Speaker A may have minimal problems with your room. Speaker B may have several. However after running a calibration algorithm, like Audyssey, speaker B may be the clear winner. So if you will be running the speakers with a correction algorithm in place for your normal use, then I would take the time to audition both calibrated using a wide variety of source material.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

great advice.... I can certainly see your point. I have about 2 weeks left to audition them, so about 10 days with both together before I have to either keep the BWs or send them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

Although the purest mode will obviously eliminate any coloring done by the receivers processing, I'm not sure it would be how I would audition them. I just replaced my front 3 Klipsch speakers of 17 years with B&W CM9's and a CMC2. The Klipsch's benefited greatly from the Audyssey room correction. So would it be fair to compare the B&W's without? The point being that each speaker is different and each room is different. Speaker A may have minimal problems with your room. Speaker B may have several. However after running a calibration algorithm, like Audyssey, speaker B may be the clear winner. So if you will be running the speakers with a correction algorithm in place for your normal use, then I would take the time to audition both calibrated using a wide variety of source material.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Just to update this thead in case someone else may be searching for some answers...

I got the 6Ts on Friday and set them up next to the CM8s... they are defiantly bigger! Not an issue for me, but maybe for some..

I spent the weekend going through as many combination's as possible...

I ran the calibration for both sets and gave each its own memory ie Mem 1 and Mem 2 so I could switch between them, I bought a SPL Meter from RS and used that... but the results I got were very close to what the Receiver calibrated.

In all honesty it was pretty close between the two except for the Bass in the CM8s which was not very good. I think because the range only goes to ~69 or so... Other then that they both sounded very clear and natural, at least to me Like I said I ran w sub/ wo sub EQ no EQ best for Music seemed to be Direct w EQ. the main difference for me came down to cost. The CM8s were 999each and the 6Ts, used were ~500 each. So on that basis I am sending the B&Ws back to BB.

I will say the B&Ws were MUCH prettier especially with the grills off.

i probably will upgrade to the VG towers at some point, but really the 6Ts were pretty impressive.

The center for the B&W seemed a bit weak to me, but the next one up was a grand... too much IMO. the 5C i got sounded better. and was about ~300...

Anyways it was fun to play around with the speakers and do side by side tests in my own home with my own equipment...
post #9 of 9 Old 04-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback.
I am not surprised. Had a small 'gathering' at my place this past weekend, and stayed up much later than I am use to.

It was the first time some of my Buds got to sit and actually have a good listen to my system (always so much going on with people over).

I really put them through their paces (the speakers I mean ), for the first time since relocating the sub and running SVS eq1 again, and I was proud, and still loving them after a year and a half.

The concerts (BD/DVD) really sucked everyone in and had them focused/enthralled. Just what I had in mind when I got back into 'hi-fi'.

Enjoy!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page