Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 148 Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

They are likely very awesome speakers, and since you're 75% HT they'll probably suit you very well. Harman makes great stuff in my opinion. I'd take them over the Triple 8's in a heartbeat.

Wow! Great recommendation! Thanks! Any concern that the sensitivity is not >100dB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Wow! Great recommendation! Thanks! Any concern that the sensitivity is not >100dB?

Not at all. Ultra high sensitivity is overrated, and those drivers don't sound very good for music anyway (in my opinion).

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #123 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not at all. Ultra high sensitivity is overrated, and those drivers don't sound very good for music anyway (in my opinion).

Thank you. As someone who cannot listen to multiple speakers lines, I appreciate all the feedback.
post #124 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

I have decided not to go with Triad Gold LCRs.

Not sure why you made this decision, but read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post22016548

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #125 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Not sure why you made this decision, but read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post22016548

Craig

I too was curious about that. For what it's worth, the Triad Gold's would be on my short list.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #126 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I too was curious about that. For what it's worth, the Triad Gold's would be on my short list.

I listened to the Triads and preferred the GTC 88s. Both auditioned within a week of each other.

Nuance, do you like the Triads better than the JBL LSR 6332s?
post #127 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I listened to the Triads and preferred the GTC 88s. Both auditioned within a week of each other.

Nuance, do you like the Triads better than the JBL LSR 6332s?

Well there you go - good answer. . I've not heard the JBL's; only read reviews and seen measurements. If you didn't like the Triads then that's all that matters. What are your current top choices?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #128 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Didn't you hear the triads in an untreated room vs the GTC in a treated?

Filecat (member here) has alot of experience with JBL stuff (everything he has is JBL I think). I'll see if he knows anything about the JBLs you're looking at

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #129 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Didn't you hear the triads in an untreated room vs the GTC in a treated?

Filecat (member here) has alot of experience with JBL stuff (everything he has is JBL I think). I'll see if he knows anything about the JBLs you're looking at

Yes the Triads were in a home where the owner said, "I like a live sound." Translation... No treatments anywhere and a hard wood floor. GTCs were in a treated room. (My current room is untreated.)

I heard the Triads as a LCR setup in a home theater driven by a Rotel 1095 amp. The demo material was a Rush concert BD.

The GTCs were 2 channel only and were driven by an Integra AVR. The demo material included my iPhone and a Kaleidescape assortment of BD audio.
post #130 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Filecat responded to my question on the JBL thread. He said the LSR 6332s are the best bookshelf/monitor JBL has ever made. They are the speaker in the Harman International Listening Rooms.
post #131 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Filecat responded to my question on the JBL thread. He said the LSR 6332s are the best bookshelf/monitor JBL has ever made. They are the speaker in the Harman International Listening Rooms.

There you go! That's your speaker to get

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #132 of 148 Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

How about 7 of these

http://www.selahaudio.com/id252.html

BTW, these are line arrays.

I'm still reading this entire thread, but these look good. Has anyone tested them? I'm also fascinated by the CBT line array kit on parts-express, but seems there is little info on them thus far.

post #133 of 148 Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I'm still reading this entire thread, but these look good. Has anyone tested them? I'm also fascinated by the CBT line array kit on parts-express, but seems there is little info on them thus far.

I recently heard those at Warpdrv's house; PM me if you'd like to chat about them. Otherwise you can visit the SE Wisconsin speaker GTG thread to get the impressions of a couple of the attendees.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #134 of 148 Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I recently heard those at Warpdrv's house; PM me if you'd like to chat about them. Otherwise you can visit the SE Wisconsin speaker GTG thread to get the impressions of a couple of the attendees.

Actually the CBT36 is a different design (I brought the CBT45 to Wisconsin). Both will be at the upcoming Newport Beach,CA show in a few weeks.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #135 of 148 Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Craig View Post

Actually the CBT36 is a different design (I brought the CBT45 to Wisconsin). Both will be at the upcoming Newport Beach,CA show in a few weeks.

My bad Rick - thanks for clearing that up.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #136 of 148 Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Rick...I plan on being at the show one day. Will be good to meet you!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #137 of 148 Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

I took some time to go over the SE Wisconsin GTG thread. Good stuff. I could tell that the design was different than the CBT36, but it still looked stellar. Is there major performance differences between the CBT36 and the CBT45?

I've read the presentations put together by Don Keele and see small differences on beteen his various designs on paper, but are they audible to the average Joe such as myself?

The more I learn about Line Arrays, the more inticing they become. I'm really looking for some first hand impressions before I take the dive though. Some crazy person on the Parts Express Answering Team mentioned that the CBT36 was capable of 140db with enough power? Can anyone verify??? That seems a touch unrealistic, but achieving such numbers while maintaining it's composure would be a true feat in my opinion.

The CBT36 seems like a good starting point and if line arrays actually please my senses I'm going to shoot for the stars. Maybe something alone these lines:

The guys over at Audiogon seem to take things to a while other level...

post #138 of 148 Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I took some time to go over the SE Wisconsin GTG thread. Good stuff. I could tell that the design was different than the CBT36, but it still looked stellar. Is there major performance differences between the CBT36 and the CBT45?

I've read the presentations put together by Don Keele and see small differences on beteen his various designs on paper, but are they audible to the average Joe such as myself?

The more I learn about Line Arrays, the more inticing they become. I'm really looking for some first hand impressions before I take the dive though. Some crazy person on the Parts Express Answering Team mentioned that the CBT36 was capable of 140db with enough power? Can anyone verify??? That seems a touch unrealistic, but achieving such numbers while maintaining it's composure would be a true feat in my opinion.

The CBT36 seems like a good starting point and if line arrays actually please my senses I'm going to shoot for the stars. Maybe something alone these lines:

The guys over at Audiogon seem to take things to a while other level...

The specifications for the CBT36 were done by Don Keele plus I helped him do the response measurements. Don is a perfectionist when it comes to specs/measurements so you can rely on whatever he says. For those who don't know he was the main speaker reviewer for Audio magazine for many years as well as the one behind the CEA-2010 subwoofer test guidelines. He also has many other credits such as an Academy award for his work with JBL theater horns.

The CBT36 is engineered to provide good output in a vary narrow profile cabinet. After hearing it I talked with Don and Marshall Kay (both are with Audio Artistry) and discussed what I wanted to do with a design for my customers. The first thing they came up with was a large (around 6 ft. tall) array geared towards large dedicated theaters or music/theater systems where extreme output was desired. It has twelve 5" woofers and forty-eight dome tweeters per speaker. I really liked the tonality and dynamics but knew that the cabinet size would be too imposing for some situations. So I expressed some ideas I had and Marshall did a CAD drawing of a prototype. Don gave his approval and we built the prototype pair which I recently showed at the AK Fest.

Trinnov will be showing the CBT45 ("GameChanger") at the upcoming California show and Audio Artistry will be next door with the CBT36. Rather than give you my opinion I'll wait a few weeks for you to read the show comments. Granted the systems will be different but this will give you an idea of which might work out best for you.

Selah Audio

post #139 of 148 Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rick...looks like I misunderstood. You won't be in Newport Beach, but the speakers will....and in the Trinnov room! I have been using Trinnov for the past month...very impressive.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #140 of 148 Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Rick...looks like I misunderstood. You won't be in Newport Beach, but the speakers will....and in the Trinnov room! I have been using Trinnov for the past month...very impressive.

Right now I have my mom in the hospital so I have suspended any travel plans; however, you'll be able to meet Don Keele and Marshall Kay of Audio Artistry. The Trinnov folks expressed interest in the CBT technology for showcasing their system so I'm happily sending the demo pair in my place.

Selah Audio

post #141 of 148 Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right now I have my mom in the hospital so I have suspended any travel plans; however, you'll be able to meet Don Keele and Marshall Kay of Audio Artistry. The Trinnov folks expressed interest in the CBT technology for showcasing their system so I'm happily sending the demo pair in my place.

Sorry to hear about your mom. You two will be in my thoughts.

It will interesting to hear how CBT and Trinnov work together from the 2D and 3D spatial correction standpoint.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #142 of 148 Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The LSR 6332s are my current top choice but have not heard them. I will likely need to add 1-3 more subs.
post #143 of 148 Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The LSR 6332s are my current top choice but have not heard them. I will likely need to add 1-3 more subs.

Any chance you will be able to hear them? You need to do what you need to do, but I don't recommend making a speaker purchase without actually hearing them first.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #144 of 148 Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Any chance you will be able to hear them? You need to do what you need to do, but I don't recommend making a speaker purchase without actually hearing them first.

I am going to be in the Detroit area in a few months and I think Harman Intl has a listening room in that area. I was going to try and schedule a tour and listen to them. Not really sure how to go about that... do I just call or does it help to shoot Sean Olive a PM via avs forum?
post #145 of 148 Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

Not at all. Ultra higuh sensitivity is overrated, and those drivers don't sound very good for music anyway (in my opinion).

The Triple 8 don't sound very good for music? Or any ultra high sensitivity driver?

post #146 of 148 Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

The Triple 8 don't sound very good for music? Or any ultra high sensitivity driver?

My comment was concerning how many people push high sensitivity as if it's the only type of speaker that can satisfy for HT and music. I totally disagree with that claim.

I just heard the Triple 12, comparing it to six other speakers, of which you can read about in the SE Wisconsin Speaker GTG thread. A speaker's sound is subjective, so only you can answer your question regarding whether it sounds good for music. My own experiences have not been good with ultra high sensitive drivers, but that doesn't mean yours will be the same, nor does it mean there isn't a good high sensitivity design out there. I think the Seaton Catalysts are the best high sensitivity design I've heard in a long time (heard them in April), and would consider it a very good speaker. To each their own and YMMV.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #147 of 148 Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 403
The selah symmetrica is 98 dBs sensitive. I would not judge a speakers performance running full range when it was not design that way. They need subs for sure and you miss all the weight and energy from 80hz and below. It makes the music out of balance, period! I have heard speakers I like better than the triple 8's for music and HT but those had limits too. It all depends on the goals.
post #148 of 148 Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My comment was concerning how many people push high sensitivity as if it's the only type of speaker that can satisfy for HT and music. I totally disagree with that claim.

I completely agree.

The issue is even more exasperated when people pushing these designs don't ask the person looking for advice their environment and listening levels.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page