Best 5.1/7.1 speaker setup for $5-8k - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK. You guys are great and I have learned a ton on these forums.

Budget is $5,000 to $8,000 for LCR and surrounds. I already have a sub, SV Sound PB13 Ultra, 1000 watt.

I am looking to add a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speaker setup for 75% HT, 20% PS3 and 5% music. My room is a dedicated HT and is 23x18x9 ft. There are no windows and the walls are black. The floors have carpet. Speaker appearance is not terribly important and clearly comes second to sound quality.

I prefer new over used and would consider internet direct. I will drive the speakers with a Wyred 4 Sound MC3x500, 2x250 amp and Pioneer SC57 pre/pro. I can use the Pioneer to power 2 surround channels to make 7.1.

I plan room treatments after speaker purchase. I am moving up from BIC Venturi. I have had them forever.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Check out Salk sound, their song series is in your price range.
Philharmonics may be an even better buy for the mains, they would pair well with Salks
The Ascend Sierra towers would also be at the top of my list.
post #3 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
With such an emphasis on home theater I am going to say look into
JTR
Klipsch Ultra series
Triad Gold LCR

On top of other recommendations

I would also not rule out adding a second matching SVS
post #4 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Budget is $5,000 to $8,000 for LCR and surrounds. I already have a sub, SV Sound PB13 Ultra, 1000 watt.

I am looking to add a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speaker setup for 75% HT, 20% PS3 and 5% music. My room is a dedicated HT and is 23x18x9 ft. There are no windows and the walls are black. The floors have carpet. Speaker appearance is not terribly important and clearly comes second to sound quality.

I prefer new over used and would consider internet direct. I will drive the speakers with a Wyred 4 Sound MC3x500, 2x250 amp and Pioneer SC57 pre/pro. I can use the Pioneer to power 2 surround channels to make 7.1.

I plan room treatments after speaker purchase. I am moving up from BIC Venturi. I have had them forever.

Thanks for your input!

What is your goal? What do you like for sound?
post #5 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
If that was my budget, there is no question what I would buy:

Vandersteen 3A speakers with the VCC-1 center speaker; around $5000.

Vandersteen 1C speakers for surrounds; $1150/pair.

Vandersteen has making some of the world's best speakers for over 30 years, and those of us who have them know them and love them. They are also 100% designed, manufactured and serviced at their factory in California, which is kind of nice if you ever want support or an upgrade.

According to an article published by Stereophile a couple of years ago, the Vandersteen 2 speaker is the all-time best-selling hi-end speaker in the history of the industry, so more than a few people are big fans...lol.

Moving from BIC Venturis to Vandersteens is going to be a bit like moving from an old Yugo to a Ferrari or a Bentley; that's some change!

Quote:

Thanks for your input!

post #6 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

With such an emphasis on home theater I am going to say look into
JTR
Klipsch Ultra series
Triad Gold LCR

On top of other recommendations

I would also not rule out adding a second matching SVS

I agree with this. Primary focus is HT, so something high efficiency is a good idea. I'll also add Seaton Sound and Chase Home Theater.

If music was the focus I'd concur with the Vandersteen, Salk or Philharmonic recommendations, but this sounds like a dedicated theater type situation to me, and generally those types of scenarios will require the ability to achieve reference levels without distortion or compression.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #7 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I agree with this. Primary focus is HT, so something high efficiency is a good idea. I'll also add Seaton Sound and Chase Home Theater.

If music was the focus I'd concur with the Vandersteen, Salk or Philharmonic recommendations, but this sounds like a dedicated theater type situation to me, and generally those types of scenarios will require the ability to achieve reference levels without distortion or compression.

Seaton is a great one for this budget.

And MKTheater might know a thing or two with regards to home theater sound And he raises a good point. A lower sensitivity speaker may be just fine depending on what the OP's expectations are.
post #8 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Depending on your expectations, I would also look at
Atlantic Technology systems, minus the subs.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

What is your goal? What do you like for sound?

Hmmm. Watch mainly action movies, play Modern Warfare 3, and for music, I like everything from George Winston to DJ Tiesto, so club/dance music, rock, piano, classical and alternative music.

Since purchasing the new components, I find myself listening to more music than previously. Although music is not my main focus.

My goal, I think, is clear dialogue, indistinguishable sound origin (is this imaging?), and to feel like I am in the movie.
post #10 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! Interesting that I have not heard almost anything from the hometheater.com top picks aside from Klipsch. That is why I asked... had a feeling there were possibly better picks for the money.

I do have a local Klipsch dealer. The Ultra would be better than RF7II's for mains?

I was thinking about using the same 3 speakers for LCR. Is that better than center channel designated speakers?
post #11 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm. Watch mainly action movies, play Modern Warfare 3, and for music, I like everything from George Winston to DJ Tiesto, so club/dance music, rock, piano, classical and alternative music.

Since purchasing the new components, I find myself listening to more music than previously. Although music is not my main focus.

My goal, I think, is clear dialogue, indistinguishable sound origin (is this imaging?), and to feel like I am in the movie.

How far back is your seating position from the speakers, and how loud do you typically listen?
post #12 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Curious, by high efficiency, does that mean they are very sensitive and easy to drive? I thought my Wyred 4 Sound would be able to drive almost anything. Or at least I had hoped so.
post #13 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How loud do you listen and how far back do you sit? You want to make sure you get the sound you want but also with no compression and little disortion. Depending on your room, listening levels, and distance you may get away with many different speakers. I can not and need high sensitivity if I want any kind of dynamic swings.
post #14 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How far back is your seating position from the speakers, and how loud do you typically listen?

I sit 14 feet from my Stewart 130 inch screen and 11 feet back from the speakers. I probably run SPLs around 85 dB for movies. Games maybe 60 SPL.

Not sure if my speaker placement is optimal or not. It is a work in progress.
post #15 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I sit 14 feet from my Stewart 130 inch screen and 11 feet back from the speakers. I probably run SPLs around 85 dB for movies. Games maybe 60 SPL.

Not sure if my speaker placement is optimal or not.

Is that 85dBs for the dialog or peaks on explosions?
post #16 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
For movies and music I have to recommend triad's gold lcr offering. Heard them at a friends dedicated theater and was blown away by them!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #17 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

For movies and music I have to recommend triad's gold lcr offering. Heard them at a friends dedicated theater and was blown away by them!

How much are they?
post #18 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if my speaker placement is optimal or not.

Not to get too offtopic, but have you ever considered the switch to an acoustically transparent screen? I made the switch and I don't think I could go back. It allowed for optimal speaker placement, and it allowed me to get a matching vertical speaker to my left and right speakers which resulted in better dialogue, especially off-axis.

Aside from that, it really sounds to me like you should be looking for higher sensitivity speakers that have lower distortion.

MKTheater is a very good resource on this and has a speaker shootout thread that you may want to read through.
post #19 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

How much are they?

About $2K apiece. I am also eyeing them and considering the Klipsch Ultra's for my next upgrade.
post #20 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About $2K apiece. I am also eyeing them and considering the Klipsch Ultra's for my next upgrade.

Go for it won't be disappointed

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #21 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are the Klipsch Ultras better (and more expensive) than the Triads... Hence the next upgrade?
post #22 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not to get too offtopic, but have you ever considered the switch to an acoustically transparent screen? I made the switch and I don't think I could go back. It allowed for optimal speaker placement, and it allowed me to get a matching vertical speaker to my left and right speakers which resulted in better dialogue, especially off-axis.

Aside from that, it really sounds to me like you should be looking for higher sensitivity speakers that have lower distortion.

MKTheater is a very good resource on this and has a speaker shootout thread that you may want to read through.

No, not really interested in switching screens now. Just got this screen a little while ago.
I have read some of the speaker shoot out. I must admit, I do not understand sound measurements.
post #23 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are the Klipsch Ultras better (and more expensive) than the Triads... Hence the next upgrade?

The Klipsch Ultra are cheaper (about $500-600 or so per speaker), and I am not sure if I would say they are better.. I was just very impressed with their sound compared to other Klipsch speakers I had heard in the past. They would be more efficient and easier to drive than the Triads, but I don't listen to levels even as high as you so I don't think the Triads would be an issue at all for me since they are rated the same sensitivity as my current speaker.

The Klipsch and Triads are very different speakers and you would want to listen to them both, but I really like the sound that Triad produces.

I have read that the JTR speakers also have a very clean and clear sound which might be a good fit for you concerning dialogue and imaging.

I demoed a pile of speakers less than a year ago and would have bought the Triads, but was finishing a 1100 or so sq ft basement and ended going over budget in other areas, so it cut into the speaker budget

In about 3 years I would like to upgrade to Triad or another brand I like my current speakers based on my budget, but would have preferred the Triad's. You may also want to look at Procella P8's which is another speaker on my list to demo.
post #24 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Klipsch Ultra are cheaper (about $500-600 or so per speaker), and I am not sure if I would say they are better.. I was just very impressed with their sound compared to other Klipsch speakers I had heard in the past. They would be more efficient and easier to drive than the Triads, but I don't listen to levels even as high as you so I don't think the Triads would be an issue at all for me since they are rated the same sensitivity as my current speaker.

The Klipsch and Triads are very different speakers and you would want to listen to them both, but I really like the sound that Triad produces.

I have read that the JTR speakers also have a very clean and clear sound which might be a good fit for you concerning dialogue and imaging.

I demoed a pile of speakers less than a year ago and would have bought the Triads, but was finishing a 1100 or so sq ft basement and ended going over budget in other areas, so it cut into the speaker budget

In about 3 years I would like to upgrade to Triad or another brand I like my current speakers based on my budget, but would have preferred the Triad's. You may also want to look at Procella P8's which is another speaker on my list to demo.

I was estimating 85 SPL for movies. I suspect it is less. I will have to trial the Klipsch from my local dealer.
post #25 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I couldn't afford triads for my future dedicated build so I bought some old atlantic techs which sounded very similar to my friends triads

post #26 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

If that was my budget, there is no question what I would buy:

Vandersteen 3A speakers with the VCC-1 center speaker; around $5000.

Vandersteen 1C speakers for surrounds; $1150/pair.

Vandersteen has making some of the world's best speakers for over 30 years, and those of us who have them know them and love them. They are also 100% designed, manufactured and serviced at their factory in California, which is kind of nice if you ever want support or an upgrade.

According to an article published by Stereophile a couple of years ago, the Vandersteen 2 speaker is the all-time best-selling hi-end speaker in the history of the industry, so more than a few people are big fans...lol.

Moving from BIC Venturis to Vandersteens is going to be a bit like moving from an old Yugo to a Ferrari or a Bentley; that's some change!

I like Ferraris
post #27 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Any idea which line of Triad? Just looked at their website. Platinum looks nice! Cannot tell what the prices are from the website. Also, will have to look for a dealer.
post #28 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any idea which line of Triad? Just looked at their website. Platinum looks nice! Cannot tell what the prices are from the website. Also, will have to look for a dealer.

Gold !

post #29 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like Ferraris

Hmmm..I hope you're not making reference to something else... lol

post #30 of 148 Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Hmmm..I hope you're not making reference to something else... lol

Sticking to speakers. Cars are in a different forum.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page