Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

For your budget, the RC-10's at 300, the RC-LCR (matching center) for 249. Total 549 if you can stretch your budget. I have both types, excellent laid back speakers.

Have read a lot of good things about the RC-10's, but because they have to sit so close to the wall, I'm afraid they won't have enough room to really open up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by haargerman View Post

Beautiful looking speakers. Do they have online retailers?

Unfortunately, not that I know of though I was able to get them at major discounts at the local distributor. But they're the only front ported bookshelves that are efficient and neutral enough for your applications.
post #33 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM

You can get Focals from musicdirect.com

I recommend the Kef Q300s as earlier recommended or even the Wharfedale Diamonds 10.2 , you can't go wrong with either of them. Once you hear a good quality speaker, be it book shelf or tower you will have a hard time listening to anything sub-par
post #34 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureiso View Post

They will reach lower than a bookshelf which is good for two channel audio w/ no subwoofer. However, for the same price range you can generally get a much better bookshelf speaker.

something to consider: http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...ead.php?t=4813

+1 most would agree that you'd get more out of better bookshelves than lower quality towers. Also make sure your center is a match to the L & R. Makes for a more seamless front soundstage, especially with panning effects.
post #35 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureiso View Post

Very similar.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104815.0

Very interesting.

post #36 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

I recommend the Kef Q300s as earlier recommended or even the Wharfedale Diamonds 10.2 , you can't go wrong with either of them. Once you hear a good quality speaker, be it book shelf or tower you will have a hard time listening to anything sub-par

I'd add the Monitor Audio RX-1s to that list, RX-2s if your budget and space allow.
post #37 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

Once you hear a good quality speaker, be it book shelf or tower you will have a hard time listening to anything sub-par

Gawd I wish it weren't so!

post #38 of 57 Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

Have read a lot of good things about the RC-10's, but because they have to sit so close to the wall, I'm afraid they won't have enough room to really open up.

I have a pair of RC-10s. I don't know why they would have more trouble "opening up" over other speakers. Now if very close to the wall, then you might have to worry about the mid-bass being a little strong or even muddy because of the port. But that can be alleviated using the included port plugs, the idea being that you then have a sub to pick up the mid-bass.

post #39 of 57 Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the Kef's are bit out of my price range. The Wharfedale look like solid speakers but have you heard them in person?
post #40 of 57 Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

the Kef's are bit out of my price range. The Wharfedale look like solid speakers but have you heard them in person?

Look into the iQ30, they are in the price range; I have iQ3 and they are excellent speakers (great value).

post #41 of 57 Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 353
You can get Kef Q300's from accessories4less.com in your price range.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rs-pair/1.html

Afro GT
post #42 of 57 Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I own Kef Q300s & I love them. They are within your price range, buy them for Accessories4less.com for $487.5 shipped. This was posted earlier in the thread as well. Or you can ask Vanns.com or onecall.com to match that price & they most likely will. I think onecall has sold them for as low as 450, not sure but you can try their "name your price" option.

I haven't heard the Wharfedale's but i haven't read anything negative about the Diamond series. Whoever owns them have been pretty happy & the reviews have been pretty good too.

I would think the Kefs & Wharfedales sound identical with the exception of bass, the Kefs make astounding bass for their size. Also they are front ported so if you actually decide to put them on a *gasp* bookshelf, you will be ok
post #43 of 57 Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I own Kef Q300s & I love them. They are within your price range, buy them for Accessories4less.com for $487.5 shipped. This was posted earlier in the thread as well. Or you can ask Vanns.com or onecall.com to match that price & they most likely will. I think onecall has sold them for as low as 450, not sure but you can try their "name your price" option.

I haven't heard the Wharfedale's but i haven't read anything negative about the Diamond series. Whoever owns them have been pretty happy & the reviews have been pretty good too.

I would think the Kefs & Wharfedales sound identical with the exception of bass, the Kefs make astounding bass for their size. Also they are front ported so if you actually decide to put them on a *gasp* bookshelf, you will be ok

All the ones on accessories4less are open box deals - Not really something I would trust to buy.

There is a local showroom that has Focals for audition - I might have to make a trip out there. There is also a guy down the street who has Paradigm stuff on display. Thinking it's important I go listen to a few things - although the Q300s are beautiful speakers, especially in cherry... but looks aren't everything, right?
post #44 of 57 Old 04-14-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Listened to some Monitor Audio mains today. RX1's and A10's. RX1's were nice, but not ideal - rear ported and a bit too pricey. The shop didn't have any BX1's in stock to listen to.

The A10's were absolutely within my budget but they just don't have the oomf; albeit they might make for pretty nice surrounds later down the road. If I went with the A10's I would have to pick up a sub as well - which is a pretty good possibility because I'm sure I would be happy with the sound in my condo.
post #45 of 57 Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I hear them all the time. I actually sell them. Both the 10.1s and 10.2s have lots of bottom end to them. The speakers impress my customers every time I demo them. The typical questions I get are: "Do you have a subwoofer on?", "Are any of the other speakers playing?" "Are you using processing?"

The truth to the matter is that these little affordable buggers simply rock the house. The 10.1s and 10.2s are our top selling speaker, and they sell themselves. Try to find a local dealer. I know the Wharfedales are also available online.
post #46 of 57 Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've seen a ton of good reviews on the Pioneer surround sound speakers. They don't sell them as a 5.1 system but you can buy all the components for them on Amazon or wherever.
post #47 of 57 Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 PM

a tip on those Q 300 kef's if you call accessories 4 less, they are not actually B stock, they just list them that way so they can sell them lower than MSRP, they are new in box 95% of the time (and you can ask before you order)

I have a full Q series setup, and the Q300s are an outstanding sounding speaker for the money
post #48 of 57 Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webomatic View Post

I hear them all the time. I actually sell them. Both the 10.1s and 10.2s have lots of bottom end to them. The speakers impress my customers every time I demo them. The typical questions I get are: "Do you have a subwoofer on?", "Are any of the other speakers playing?" "Are you using processing?"

The truth to the matter is that these little affordable buggers simply rock the house. The 10.1s and 10.2s are our top selling speaker, and they sell themselves. Try to find a local dealer. I know the Wharfedales are also available online.

Found a place nearby that sells the 10.1 and 10.2's. Will have to go check them out - what's the price point on those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream puff View Post

a tip on those Q 300 kef's if you call accessories 4 less, they are not actually B stock, they just list them that way so they can sell them lower than MSRP, they are new in box 95% of the time (and you can ask before you order)

I have a full Q series setup, and the Q300s are an outstanding sounding speaker for the money

I believe you, but I'd rather spend my money locally and hear them first.
post #49 of 57 Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Webomatic, is there a center channel speaker that might match with Wharfedale if used in HT setting? I'm to help a friend set something up in his home. Despite it being a rather large room he insists on bookshelf rather than towers.

Thanks much.

post #50 of 57 Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Webomatic, is there a center channel speaker that might match with Wharfedale if used in HT setting? I'm to help a friend set something up in his home. Despite it being a rather large room he insists on bookshelf rather than towers.

Thanks much.

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-611-center-channel.aspx
post #51 of 57 Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Found a place nearby that sells the 10.1 and 10.2's. Will have to go check them out - what's the price point on those?

I believe you, but I'd rather spend my money locally and hear them first.

The 10.1s are $349 per pair
The 10.2s are $449 per pair
post #52 of 57 Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Thanks much.

Wharfedale has 3 of them in the Diamond series.

The 10.CM has (2) 6-1/2" bass drivers along with a midrange and a 1" tweeter. It is a good size center channel and retails for $449

The 10.CS is a good match when using the 10.1 bookshelves. It uses (2) 5" mid-bass drivers and a 1" tweeter. It retails for $299

The 10.CC is the smallest center channel within the Diamond series. It uses (2) 4" mid-bass drivers and a 1" tweeter. It retails for $249
post #53 of 57 Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks much for the responses. I think I can talk him into ordering the 10s to audition, we'll take it from there.

post #54 of 57 Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

What's the general consensus on Paradigm Monitor Atom's?
post #55 of 57 Old 04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I have a pair of RC-10s. I don't know why they would have more trouble "opening up" over other speakers. Now if very close to the wall, then you might have to worry about the mid-bass being a little strong or even muddy because of the port. But that can be alleviated using the included port plugs, the idea being that you then have a sub to pick up the mid-bass.

I'd second this. I've used the RC-10's with port plugs when close to the wall, no problem there. The RC-10's are more than good enough for bookshelves and tied into a good sub, are an excellent system. Throw in the RC-LCR and you're in very good shape.
post #56 of 57 Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

I think it might be a toss up between the Wharfedale 10.1's and the Paradigm Atom Monitor. I haven't heard the Wharfedale, but am seriously considering purchasing them without hearing them. Advantage of Wharfedale's of being able to bi-wire them.

I eventually want to move whatever I buy now to the surrounds later down the road when I upgrade. I will also probably invest in a sub before a center channel.
post #57 of 57 Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

I haven't heard the Wharfedale, but am seriously considering purchasing them without hearing them. Advantage of Wharfedale's of being able to bi-wire them.

In all the years of listening to audio, No speaker had an advantage in
sound quality, because of bi-wire.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page