Best bookshelf speakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Best bookshelf speakers

Speakers

Veda's Avatar Veda
11:11 AM Liked: 44
post #31 of 36
04-21-2012 | Posts: 2,340
Would you say the Sierra is superior to the Ushers?
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24
11:59 AM Liked: 92
post #32 of 36
04-21-2012 | Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

How are the Arx A1b compared to other bookshelves with dome tweeter? Any comparisons or reviews?

I've listened to a lot of bookshelfs and towers. I did direct side by side with the Arx A2 LCR and the Arx A1 (not A1b which is the newer revision with a deeper tune and slightly deeper cabinet, 8.7" deep vs 10.25" deep and 60hrz +/-3db vs 52hrz +/-3db) and Axiom M22 and M2.

I never noticed any ringing with the Axioms until I listened to the planar tweeters. The Axioms have a slight excess ring to them, which could be the tweeters or the mid drivers breaking up.

I noticed right away that the planars have more definition with strings like guitar and really sound more natural.

The woofers are light years ahead of the Axioms IMO. XBL2 and splitgap really makes this woofer compariable to 6.5" and maybe even some 8". The distinct lack of distortion actually gives a sound characteristic unlike traditional woofers. I really didn't like the sound at first but going through old cds and dvd audios and it really grows on you. Drum kicks are done perfectly using the A2s as mains and center they have great impact to them. Much more so than the M22s or M2s could hope for, the M22 need a much high crossover like 100hrz or 120hrz or they sound strained and frail IMO.

Quality compared to the Axiom is way better. Grills on the Arx uses black painted mdf frames wrapped in fabric with chrome metal inserts. The Axiom uses flimzy cheap plastic frames, the Arx also has a center brace on the grill that runs under the tweeter and above the woofer.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Billy p's Avatar Billy p
12:37 PM Liked: 215
post #33 of 36
04-21-2012 | Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Would you say the Sierra is superior to the Ushers?

Here is some info....I recall reading this some time ago when I first considered going with the Ascends...it took me a few years to finally get there....lol...

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2933

Btw...how are you liking the new Towers....
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd
01:27 PM Liked: 1027
post #34 of 36
04-21-2012 | Posts: 7,340
I've recently got a used set of Ascend Sierra-1s for my L/C/R. Yesterday got some Ascend 170SEs that I've installed as L/R surrounds. Have Ascend 200SEs as front height speakers that with the center had previously tried as L/C/R but just too big a room for them. I'm using some Energy Takes as rear surrounds but have a feeling they'll be 200SEs soon enough. Very sweet sounding and was nice on the wallet. If you can find a used set of Sierras they'd be closer to your price point but compared to several other speakers of this price range I've heard they are very impressive, really nice soundstage they throw up there with good separation of instruments...just close my eyes and I'm there (listening now to some old Doors in 2.1). Great bang for the buck IMHO.

Otherwise new I'd also think about Ascend 340SEs across the front for a little more than your current budget...

Yes, I've become an Ascend fan....
Veda's Avatar Veda
06:13 PM Liked: 44
post #35 of 36
04-21-2012 | Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Here is some info.... Btw...how are you liking the new Towers....

Thanks, I'll check it out. The towers... My CD player broke down after a few tracks so I'm running an el cheapo DVD to the amp right now. Probably not the best setup so I can't comment much other than it seems to be super accurate top to bottom. Yes need a sub in my super large bedroom but the sound is one of the best I've heard from traditional design towers AT ANY PRICE. Amazingly enough it is also slimmer than those other towers. And the piano black finish on bamboo, heck it's smoother than my vintage piano which was made back when they made "real" pianos. Then there's the ultra minimalist design with the lack of cheap plastic binding post terminal... the days when ID brands are seen as highly technical but DIY aesthetics are certainly over! Totally worth the $500 shipping I paid for If the non-RAAL towers are 80% as good, they are insanely amazing going for $2k. Actually I'd be interested in seeing the option of a cheaper ribbon for the towers like perhaps a Fountek. Might be just as accurate as the SEAS softdome but faster.

Btw, Be-718's are going around here for $1k used if they are indeed better than the Sierras and you can get them that cheap then I suggest that route.
LL
Veda's Avatar Veda
03:47 AM Liked: 44
post #36 of 36
04-22-2012 | Posts: 2,340
gtpsuper24, comparing the Arx to Axioms would be a totally unfair comparison
Now if it goes against let's say CBM-170SE that's similarly priced, it would be interesting...

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread