Best bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, what would be the best bookshelf left,right and center speakers for 100% movies and television?looking to spend around $800 for everything. my room is 10x20 and my receiver is a denon 2112, my sub is a HSU vtf2mk4. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Best is a vague term. No one can tell you what you would like best. You can be given options though.

For 100% movies and TV Klipsch would be good. A pair of RB51s and an RC52 center would work well. This is my lazy choice. Klipsch are easy to buy and listen to in various big box stores.

There are many, many other options though. Best if you can go out and demo some.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Come on people I need some suggestions. Pls help
post #4 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Rclcr + rc 10s? Or hsu hb1s

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

3-Arx A2.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
ARX A1b or the regular A1. I have all ARXs and freaking love them!
post #7 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 388
3 ea - Boston E60 speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...4279608&sr=8-1

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky View Post

Come on people I need some suggestions. Pls help

I think Kini62 gave you pretty good advice for 100% HT. If we can help you with selection, give us a shout.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9 of 36 Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

3-Arx A2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

ARX A1b or the regular A1. I have all ARXs and freaking love them!

Yeah i'm loving the Arx speakers. 3 A2 LCRs across the front has huge output and has great midbass punch too them.
post #10 of 36 Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Rclcr + rc 10s?

Or Energy Veritas V5.1s and a 5.2C. Or just 3 of the Energy RC-LCRs.

post #11 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Yeah i'm loving the Arx speakers. 3 A2 LCRs across the front has huge output and has great midbass punch too them.

How are the Arx A1b compared to other bookshelves with dome tweeter? Any comparisons or reviews?
post #12 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
HTD's Level 3 LCR.

I have them and love them
post #13 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
To add to your list...

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE and CMT-340SEc center.

Hsu Research HB1-MK2 and HC1-MK2 center

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #14 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Curtis do you have experience with the Ascend? A friend has asked me to help with a 5.1 setup with bookshelf speakers, I'm just beginning to put a list of possibilities together.

post #15 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Curtis do you have experience with the Ascend? A friend has asked me to help with a 5.1 setup with bookshelf speakers, I'm just beginning to put a list of possibilities together.

Did you read my sig?

I help moderate Ascend's forum, and I am very familiar with their products.

Add the Ascends and Hsus I suggested and try and get a listen.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #16 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Hi all, what would be the best bookshelf left,right and center speakers for 100% movies and television?looking to spend around $800 for everything. my room is 10x20 and my receiver is a denon 2112, my sub is a HSU vtf2mk4. Thanks

If you want a natural and SMOOOOOOTH midrange I'll also agree on the Ascend 170's.........basically "Kef lite". Very good no frills bang for the buck speaker. They sound much better than they look, and thats a good thing.

Also you can score some nice Kef speakers in that price range as well too. Q100 monitors and a matching Q600c center channel can be easily had within your price range. Also Kef's older iQ30's and matching iQ60c center can be had brand new from Ebay still and probably for a bit less money than the newer Q's. THey perform just as well if not better too if a nice natural smooth midrange is a trait you like in a speaker.
post #17 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

To add to your list...

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE and CMT-340SEc center.

Hsu Research HB1-MK2 and HC1-MK2 center

x2 ^^^^^^. That would be where I would start.

post #18 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm ordering the CBM-170SE to replace my $2600 Usher Be-718's. It's hard to get any more accuracy from bookshelves short of probably using ribbons
post #19 of 36 Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

I'm ordering the CBM-170SE to replace my $2600 Usher Be-718's. It's hard to get any more accuracy from bookshelves short of probably using ribbons

Not sure I would do that. The Ushers are better.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #20 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

Did you read my sig?

I help moderate Ascend's forum, and I am very familiar with their products.

Add the Ascends and Hsus I suggested and try and get a listen.

Hah! Sorry, I use mobile app more often these days, which doesn't show signatures. But I do now remember that

post #21 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Would the cbm-170se be a HUGE improvement over the infinity primus 162?
post #22 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

Also you can score some nice Kef speakers in that price range as well too. Q100 monitors and a matching Q600c center channel can be easily had within your price range.

I heard that setup yesterday. Picked up a pair of Q100's because of the audition. I don't know if they'll be fatiguing in the long run (the cabinet doesn't exactly make efforts to reduce diffraction), but they provide a better window into the recording than a few $20k+ speakers I've heard. (Though that's because it seems that few of the players in the five-figure speaker market actually know how to design a crossover, or control tweeter directivity at the bottom of its passband. There are exceptions: Revel, Tannoy, KEF, Gradient, Gedlee, etc. But most five-figure speakers perform worse than well-engineered cheap speakers.)

In stereo, they sounded astoundingly similar to a pair of current Quad ESL's, though without the delicacy of the Quads on material such as solo oboe. To my ears they were clearly superior in every respect except for upper bass dynamics to a pair of Wilson Benesch ARC's. (Same room, same electronics.)

The "matching" center, however, just isn't. For movies I suppose it would be fine (movie sound isn't terribly important, and fine details of loudspeakers are obscured by visual stimuli) but on more serious material ("Tommy" on DVD-A, "Wish You Were Here" on SACD, Dmitri Kitayenko conducting a Cologne orchestra through DSCH 8 on SACD), the mismatch between the mains and center was glaring and obvious.

A far higher-fidelity option would be to use three Q100's across the front.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #23 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I agree. I love my Arx speakers for the price I don't think they can be beat. The ribbon tweeters are fantastic and the split gap motors are incredible. Personally I would go with the Arx 100%. Cant wait for the A5s! Lol
post #24 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

I heard that setup yesterday. Picked up a pair of Q100's because of the audition. I don't know if they'll be fatiguing in the long run (the cabinet doesn't exactly make efforts to reduce diffraction), but they provide a better window into the recording than a few $20k+ speakers I've heard. (Though that's because it seems that few of the players in the five-figure speaker market actually know how to design a crossover, or control tweeter directivity at the bottom of its passband. There are exceptions: Revel, Tannoy, KEF, Gradient, Gedlee, etc. But most five-figure speakers perform worse than well-engineered cheap speakers.)

In stereo, they sounded astoundingly similar to a pair of current Quad ESL's, though without the delicacy of the Quads on material such as solo oboe. To my ears they were clearly superior in every respect except for upper bass dynamics to a pair of Wilson Benesch ARC's. (Same room, same electronics.)

The "matching" center, however, just isn't. For movies I suppose it would be fine (movie sound isn't terribly important, and fine details of loudspeakers are obscured by visual stimuli) but on more serious material ("Tommy" on DVD-A, "Wish You Were Here" on SACD, Dmitri Kitayenko conducting a Cologne orchestra through DSCH 8 on SACD), the mismatch between the mains and center was glaring and obvious.

A far higher-fidelity option would be to use three Q100's across the front.

Kef's are fantastic speakers. The Q100's are no exception either. Killer bang for the buck. Anytime you have a point source driver setup your gaining a natural advantage. The Q100's are very nice. The center your correct, its tuned differently due to the enclosure. RUn pink noise through it and measure with an RTA you will see a big difference in the lower midrange being heavily bumped. If you have a decent EQ in your AVR or processor you can tune this out and match up the frequency to the mains well. If not, yes I agree that 3 Q100's across the board is the way to go........some people though want that slimline horizontal laying speaker for the center channel for differing reasons.........
post #25 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:

If you want a natural and SMOOOOOOTH midrange I'll also agree on the Ascend 170's.........basically "Kef lite". Very good no frills bang for the buck speaker. They sound much better than they look, and thats a good thing.

Also you can score some nice Kef speakers in that price range as well too. Q100 monitors and a matching Q600c center channel can be easily had within your price range. Also Kef's older iQ30's and matching iQ60c center can be had brand new from Ebay still and probably for a bit less money than the newer Q's. THey perform just as well if not better too if a nice natural smooth midrange is a trait you like in a speaker.

I agree with the smoothness of the Ascends. I had the Sierras and 170s in a 5.1 system and loved the sound. It would be much different than the Klipsch though...not in a bad way....the Klipsch wouldn't be as "laid back" is maybe the best way to describe it.
post #26 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

***The center your correct, its tuned differently due to the enclosure. RUn pink noise through it and measure with an RTA you will see a big difference in the lower midrange being heavily bumped. If you have a decent EQ in your AVR or processor you can tune this out and match up the frequency to the mains well ***

To be clear, the difference I observed in is not the upper bass/lower mids. If it were, that would be fairly easy for a decent room correction system (ARC, Trinnov, Audyssey, etc.) to fix, as you correctly stated.

The difference is in the upper midrange, at the top of the male voice/bottom of the female voice. The center, compared directly to the Q100 (or the Quads, for that matter), sounds quite recessed and nasal. I don't know if it's just because of the different diffraction signature, or interference between the Uni-Q and flanking woofers. Maybe that sonic signature is actually better for movies. I've never bothered to find out because anything that detracts from reproduction of music is in my mind a step backwards.

But if one must have a "slim" center, a Q100 turned on its side is a better-sounding choice than the "matching" center for multichannel music, at least.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #27 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

To be clear, the difference I observed in is not the upper bass/lower mids. If it were, that would be fairly easy for a decent room correction system (ARC, Trinnov, Audyssey, etc.) to fix, as you correctly stated.

The difference is in the upper midrange, at the top of the male voice/bottom of the female voice. The center, compared directly to the Q100 (or the Quads, for that matter), sounds quite recessed and nasal. I don't know if it's just because of the different diffraction signature, or interference between the Uni-Q and flanking woofers. Maybe that sonic signature is actually better for movies. I've never bothered to find out because anything that detracts from reproduction of music is in my mind a step backwards.

But if one must have a "slim" center, a Q100 turned on its side is a better-sounding choice than the "matching" center for multichannel music, at least.

Well I wouldnt be using a Q600c or any center channel for music regardless.....especially if its response has not been properly tuned. My XQ50c is the same, has a bump in the lower midrange/upper bass as well. I EQ'd it out and now it sounds natural. The diffraction off the front face is not why its tone is different. Its due to enclosure and driver array differences, and when you couple this with the fact many/most people have their center channels abutted against a back wall or confined space it amplifies the issue. Again though, it CAN be EQ'd and smoothed out properly IF you have the proper equipment to do so. One reason why I emply Rane DEQ 60l's for my audio systems. Gets rid of anomolies of the response curve due to room/boundary interactions and cabinet/driver array designs. Not everyone wants to go this route though......but if your AVR or HT processor has a decent EQ built in and you have an RTA w/ pink noise, then you can dial in your audio system pretty darn good to your room and setup.
post #28 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Would the cbm-170se be a HUGE improvement over the infinity primus 162?

I just saw this post. I moved from Ascend to the Primus line. I'm using (3) 351's across the front and (8) 153's for wides, heights , and surrounds in an 11.2 home theatre. My previous rig was for both movies and music which is why I was using Ascends...very smooth and non fatiguing. Now that I have a dedicated theatre I wanted something a little "brighter". I have to admit on some movies (LOTR) at very high volumes the sound gets a little too "crisp" for my taste. I still haven't been able to really choose which I like better...but its hard not to like the sweetness of the Ascends.
post #29 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure I would do that. The Ushers are better.

You need to be more specific when talking to me otherwise we'll end up with the same engagement all over again. Better in what way?
post #30 of 36 Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

You need to be more specific when talking to me otherwise we'll end up with the same engagement all over again. Better in what way?

OK...I had the Ushers in my room and compared them to other speakers.

The Usher is a much "bigger" sounding speaker...deeper bass for sure, highs are excellent, maybe not super airy, but still very good, and open midrange....and great balance. It is also not a "small" speaker. I think the Sierra-1's are bit more clear/crisper, with excellent imaging.

The CBM-170SEs are also very good...great balance as well, but at least a step down from Usher is all respects. I think it sets a mark in under $400/pr speakers though.

I guess it boils down to what you expect from the speakers and how you are going to use them.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page