AVS Forum banner

Is listening to rap music on magnepan frowned upon audiophiles?

12K views 127 replies 53 participants last post by  keyboardcat 
#1 ·
I found this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQcOcJJk-E

A lot of people were giving him a hard time. I feel like they are his speakers. He should be able to listen to what he wants on them. I see a lot of people leave rude comments on youtube stereo videos.

For example,

If I was Magnepan I would do everything in my power to have this video removed.

EricShookRools

He probably stole them!!!

AudiophileTubes

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 /forum/post/21900932

I personally don't feel my favorite bands (Rush and Pink Floyd) are artistically dull, and each released a new DVD-A or SACD within the past year. I'm glad I'm not an audiophile

I agree there are some good titles like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, but for every good title there are probably a hundred obscrue artists that are uninspiring and bland. Just nothing out there that mainstream music lovers would waste their time on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine /forum/post/21901495

Just browsing the SACD selection at Amazon makes me sleepy. I really hate the snobbish prejudice that the only good music is music for old folks. Really gives me the impression that a lot of these self-described audiophiles are a bunch of pretentious twats.

I've been on a DVD-A, DTS CD, Dual Disc and SACD hunt lately and go through almost every page on Amazon and theres not much thats even remotely interesting. And the ones I do want are $150+ just for used title.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet motel /forum/post/21901925

i would think that the people here that enjoy their audio/video would try and avoid blanket statements about their peers? Everyone is an individual, we all have different tastes/preferences.

+1

#31 ·

Quote:
Audiophile - hi-fi enthusiast: somebody who has an enthusiasm for sound reproduction, especially high-fidelity music recordings

Anyone, can be an audiophile. Personally I think that everyone on this site in the speaker forum is an audiophile. We want our music to sound its best. We have an enthusiasm for audio. Whether its DTS-MA, DDTHD, DSD, PCM, 16/44.1, 24/192, etc.

We all want our movies and or music to sound its best; "like being there". Well then we are all audiophiles.

Any well recorded musical album would thus be audiophile music. It doesn't matter if its Strauss, Metallica, Miles Davis, White Stripes, Mahler, Notorious BIG, 2-PAC, Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, Eva Cassidy, Led Zeppelin, or Two Door Cinema Club.

Stereophile had an article once before, and the writer was talking about how as a kid, he loved to listen to music, didn't matter if it was his uncle's high end system or a ghetto blaster or a walkman. He loved the music. So that drew the question, what matters most? The music or the gear? Whos the bigger audiophile? The one with the gear, or the one that loves the music more?

Theres good and bad recordings of all types of music. There's compressed music from jazz, classical, rock/pop, and hip-hop. Theres good well recorded music from them all too. Someone said in here that there's the old and new audiophile. I guess Im a new audiophile. Cause I love music, and it comes from all the bands/genre's I listed above. My dealer thinks Im funny cause I bring in Dvorak, Foo Fighters, Miles Davis, John Mayer, Metallica and Ella Fitzgerald to my auditions. He says I have the largest musical tastes of any of his clients.

Theres some comments here that are just not needed. We all love audio, we are thus - enthusiast for sound reproduction, thus audiophiles. We just have different tastes. Its just like the threads like should I buy X or Y speakers. Doesn't matter, buy what YOU like.

#32 ·
Hey, I always want to hear references about "bitches and hoes" to be clear and detailed!

#33 ·
Very balanced response
I hope you can keep your attitude--the net needs more contributors like you. Don't ever change.

*That's to callas01 and most emphatically not to Elihawk.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/21902271

HA! I bought that album when I was in college. Kool Keith is a legend and a visionary to those who know, but Black Elvis was one of his lesser works.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk /forum/post/21902259

Hey, I always want to hear references about "bitches and hoes" to be clear and detailed!

then listen to Toby Mac, he raps about God. Can you tollerate that?
http://www.tobymac.com/

#37 ·
#39 ·
#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine /forum/post/21902287

...........but Black Elvis was one of his lesser works.

Not sure why you would say that. Of his solo stuff, it is one of the better ones. Regardless, my point was that it sounds great. Better than Dr. Octagonecologyst (which I also have), IMO.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/21902356

Not sure why you would say that. Of his solo stuff, it is one of the better ones. Regardless, my point was that it sounds great. Better than Dr. Octagonecologyst (which I also have), IMO.

Interesting! I thought you were just adding your voice to the chorus of "Rap sux LOL" that always wells up in places like AVSForum. After Doc Oc I found Black Elvis unsatisfying, but if your library includes stuff like this, then I think you're capable of having an informed opinion on it... do you know what I mean? As many of the RapSux chorus have never heard anything like this and don't know that it exists, and are basing their conclusions on whatever they heard some joker blasting in his car the other day.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/21902352

this is F-ing hilarious!

for some reason I can't stop playing the later.

There's a whole album if you like it: In a Metal Mood: No More Mr Nice Guy . I get a kick out of the Paradise City version. One of these songs would be great for a comedy movie soundtrack

#43 ·
Whatever you like to listen to is your choice...but if instruments are NOT used to create the sound and any voices are enhanced...is it really music?

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk /forum/post/21902423

Whatever you like to listen to is your choice...but if instruments are NOT used to create the sound and any voices are enhanced...is it really music?

Are we really at this point--trying to argue that music we don't like, can't be called music? For real? Dude, that's absurd.

#45 ·
I wasn't being completely serious...relax! To each his own!

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine /forum/post/21902393

Interesting! I thought you were just adding your voice to the chorus of "Rap sux LOL" that always wells up in places like AVSForum. After Doc Oc I found Black Elvis unsatisfying, but if your library includes stuff like this, then I think you're capable of having an informed opinion on it... do you know what I mean? As many of the RapSux chorus have never heard anything like this and don't know that it exists, and are basing their conclusions on whatever they heard some joker blasting in his car the other day.

Im not a big fan of most modern rap, like "Rack City Chick"... OMG I want to kick the radio when that comes one; however I do like some things like Outkast, 2Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Jay Z... Dre how can anyone NOT own Chronic? Even Music Direct sells that album. Maybe Im just old skool.

Most of my music is "indie rock", but I have a lot of older stuff to like classic rock, classical, Jazz, Blues, Heavy Metal, I just don't own ANY country... can't stand it.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21902399

There's a whole album if you like it: In a Metal Mood: No More Mr Nice Guy . I get a kick out of the Paradise City version. One of these songs would be great for a comedy movie soundtrack

haha... I don't think Id buy it... but its funny to listen to.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/21902545

haha... I don't think Id buy it... but its funny to listen to.

Yep. Definitely in the "fun to listen to on YouTube, but not to pay for category." Except as a gag gift for a friend that's into heavy metal (lol).

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/21902497

Im not a big fan of most modern rap, like "Rack City Chick"... OMG I want to kick the radio when that comes one; however I do like some things like Outkast, 2Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Jay Z... Dre how can anyone NOT own Chronic? Even Music Direct sells that album. Maybe Im just old skool.

Most of my music is "indie rock", but I have a lot of older stuff to like classic rock, classical, Jazz, Blues, Heavy Metal, I just don't own ANY country... can't stand it.

There are no bad genres, just bad artists who make bad art. I found some country that I really dig a lot ( Neko Case ) but purists--if there are country purists--probably frown on alt-country stuff like hers.

I love hip-hop and rap, but I can't listen to the mainstream stuff; I favor the underground scene (Def Jux Records! The new El Producto is supposed to drop in late May, can't wait, I'll Sleep When You're Dead and Fantastic Damage were two of my favorite albums of the last decade.)

I just came back from Of Montreal's set at Webster Hall. Paralytic Stalks is making me fall in man-love with Kevin Barnes, all over again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.