New Receiver or Mains 1st - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I finished my HT last november. I have a nice projector (sony hw30) and a pretty decent sub (definitive technology supercube I), but i want to start upgrading the rest of my equipment. I want to upgrade the sound 1st so i'm debating what will get me the most bang for my buck, receiver or speakers. I currently have a pioneer vsx 1020k. I haven't had any problems with it but i know it is under powered. I picked up a set of polk speakers on craigslist. They work fine but i know there is much better out there. The Polks are RT800i with matching center. So should i upgrade the brains first (receiver) or the speakers?

My room is 11x22x10, a little over 2000 cubic feet. I don't mind buying used but don't really want to spend more than $800 bucks on a good receiver/ set of front speakers.

What is the best upgrade path?

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post

I finished my HT last november. I have a nice projector (sony hw30) and a pretty decent sub (definitive technology supercube I), but i want to start upgrading the rest of my equipment. I want to upgrade the sound 1st so i'm debating what will get me the most bang for my buck, receiver or speakers. I currently have a pioneer vsx 1020k. I haven't had any problems with it but i know it is under powered. I picked up a set of polk speakers on craigslist. They work fine but i know there is much better out there. The Polks are RT800i with matching center. So should i upgrade the brains first (receiver) or the speakers?

My room is 11x22x10, a little over 2000 cubic feet. I don't mind buying used but don't really want to spend more than $800 bucks on a good receiver/ set of front speakers.

What is the best upgrade path?

In your case I think the Pioneer, while it might be a little underpowered, is still capable of HD audio and has calibration software and HDMI inputs. Therefore, its a very servicable receiver. So I would go with new speakers. JMO.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #3 of 4 Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I agree about the receiver.

I don't know those Polk but their web site implies it was high-end (Our best non-powered floor standing loudspeaker. Real wood. Real high performance.) and retailed for around $900 and sold for around $600. You might not do much better with an $800 budget.

The sub (definitive technology supercube 1) is not a fantastic HT sub. A quick web search says its output drops just below 30 Hz in spite of the 13 Hz claim on their web page. I'd be tempted to start there.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Agreeing with everyone that your receiver and speakers are fine based on your upgrade budget. How about some monitor 30's for surround channels, and a new sub to replace that puny deftech.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page