post #91 of 99 Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

What kind of rationalization does it take to buy a completely superfluous product when you don't have a job? I guess the aristocracy don't have jobs. Are you an aristocrat?

Wow. None of your business, there buddy.

He's asking questions about a fairly inexpensive set of speakers with the option of upgrading his older setup. Lighten up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I may have missed the answer to this very basic question:

Does the Yamaha know, via the setup menu, that there are only two speakers connected? What's being described seems suspiciously like what you'd get from the only the mains in a system that thinks it's feeding five speakers.

If you run YPAO. For some reason the OP wont plug in the mic and hit start.
post #93 of 99 Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
+1

post #94 of 99 Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Could be that the old stereo was simply better than the new one. I learned that a long time ago.

I bought an old speaker set that sounded better than the new speakers, the new speakers will be shipped to a pawn broker

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #95 of 99 Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Liked: 10
I may have missed it and I think that someone alluded to it, but make sure that if you don't have your sub hooked-up that you tell the receiver that there is no sub in addition to telling it that the fronts are big. That's what I had to do to my A710 when I got it recently. I'm not sure about yours. The new Yami does as well as far as I can tell as my old NAD which powered the same speakers.
post #96 of 99 Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM

Liked: 10
I prefer quadrophonic sound.

My last receiver Onkyo TX-SV717PRO.
NO HDMI, digital audio, component video, XM or Ipod.
NO problems.
post #97 of 99 Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

What kind of rationalization does it take to buy a completely superfluous product when you don't have a job? I guess the aristocracy don't have jobs. Are you an aristocrat?

This is a completely unnecessary question, and quite frankly, none of our business. He came to the boards for help, not a questioning of his lifestyle decision making.

After skimming the thread, I think you are going to find something wrong with the receiver. Can you return it? Exchange it? Forgive me if this was already asked. Usually, Polk speakers have decent sensitivity and can be run by any mid-line receiver. While you may not get blown away sound from them, or even get better sound than your old speakers, you should not be completely disappointed either.

I like Ice Cream!
post #98 of 99 Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Liked: 15
One old guy to another, you had a mid-high end system your used to and now you have a fairly low end system with just surround sound added. You may not be able to make your new stuff sound as good as what you had, at least for music.

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

post #99 of 99 Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Liked: 12
I would run the auto caibration program (YPAO) so you can know your speakers are set up correctly. There is absolutely no reason not to. It doesn't matter if you don't have all of your speakers set up. Doesn't matter if you haven't finished the room. Doesn't matter if you are going to move everything around tomorrow. There's absolutely no excuse for not running the auto calibration program. You want to test it in direct? Run the calibration program so that the settings are correct and then test it in direct mode with no processing. Just run YPAO to rule out setup issues.

I wouldn't draw any sweeping conclusions about modern gear vs vintage gear, assume any of the equipment is broken or not up to snuff until you actually get it set up correctly. I mean to set up your first modern receiver without a subwoofer and complain about a lack of bass and complexity of settings while refusing to run the calibration software that would handle most of the settings automatically is just very strange to me.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page