Polk rti-28 or polk monitor 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a pair of polk rti-28 bookshelves for $50 on craigslist but I like the sound of my polk CS1 a little more than the sound of the rtis. Also they have a weird sort of crossover and play too much bass. I have been tinkering with them a bit but I am thinking I should sell them for around $150 and just buy monitor 40s to match my CS1. Good idea or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Not enough information.

Are you using a receiver and how is it set up? Are you using room correction or not? It is VERY unlikely that they have a "weird crossover", so the excess bass is either your placement/room acoustics or something in the receiver setup.

It is also strange that they could put out excess bass at all since they only have single 5-inch drivers and are only rated to go down to 60 Hz!

Are you using a subwoofer? Try them with no subwoofer and see how much bass there is.

The Monitor 40 has significantly more bass than the RTi-28 and is a better speaker in general IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox305 View Post

I got a pair of polk rti-28 bookshelves for $50 on craigslist but I like the sound of my polk CS1 a little more than the sound of the rtis. Also they have a weird sort of crossover and play too much bass. I have been tinkering with them a bit but I am thinking I should sell them for around $150 and just buy monitor 40s to match my CS1. Good idea or no?

post #3 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 347
What makes you think you can get $150 for the Rti28 when you paid $50 for them? They've been around since 2002-03.

The Rti28 was replaced by the RTi4 and Fry's just had those on sale for $99/pr last week.

Afro GT
post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your input.

I fixed the odd sounding bass problem by attaching rubber feet to the speakers. They were both on plastic surfaces that were amplifying the low vibrations. I also adjusted the crossover and volume of the sub to 150HZ and finally found a perfect balance. As for the price, I based that on other ebay auctions that I saw for the rti 28s.

Finally, maybe someone could recommend a quality satellite speaker pair to replace my insignia surrounds (result of a Best Buy gift card).

I have a pioneer vsx-921 receiver by the way.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page