Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Polk LSi series are quite good. "Probably" good enough to be considered generally "audiophile."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Youtube comments are probably the last place I'd look for advice anywhere in the entire world. I would attempt to glean wisdom from **** smeared on bathroom stalls before taking Youtube comments to heart.
squeakybirnbaum likes this.
post #33 of 49 Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

Youtube comments are probably the last place I'd look for advice anywhere in the entire world. I would attempt to glean wisdom from **** smeared on bathroom stalls before taking Youtube comments to heart.

Now there is a post where 100% of the people would agree with!!
post #34 of 49 Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Untill you made your first million, esoteric audio means nothing to you..

Or learn how to use power tools, operate a soldering iron and read diagrams and simple circuits.
post #35 of 49 Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Liked: 12
I don't consider Polk to be audiophile grade at all. There was a time in the distant past when two-channel reigned supreme and Polk had something called the SDA-SRS. These were audiophile grade, though the purists still scoffed at their abilities. Today, a restored and upgraded pair of Polk SDA-SRS 1.2TL's are a speaker that I would put up against anything in the 5k/7k range and it would be one hell of a shootout to see which one came out on top.

Polk is attempting to restore their heritage with the new LSiM 707... These are the best built speaker Polk has yet assembled... period. Sound-wise, the mids and highs are among the world's best, but I did find the bottom end to be a bit bloated, muddy and somewhat lacking in definition.

If you want to enter the realm of the audiophile, Magnepan make the best sub-2k speaker you can get IMHO... the Magnepan MMG. This little gem performs far above it's 599.00 pricepoint, and with the right sub in the mix, you would be hard pressed to do better for under 2k.... But that's just my humble opinion.
post #36 of 49 Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

Or learn how to use power tools, operate a soldering iron and read diagrams and simple circuits.

Assuming those tools are available. Not everyone has a garage filled with tools or has the time for such projects.
post #37 of 49 Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

Assuming those tools are available. Not everyone has a garage filled with tools or has the time for such projects.

You really don't need as many tools as you think. A router, tape, skill saw (table saw or band is better) and a drill as well as some glue and an clothes iron. Owhh and a BUNCH of clamps. Or there are many companies out there with CnC mills that will route out cabinet pieces for you and flat pack them. Considering what the cost of some speakers are you could outfit that entire garage, have an amazing home theater and have a short weekend getaway with your wife.
post #38 of 49 Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Looks like everyone has there own opinions but I Personally dont think Polk are Audiophile speakers......There Good, but Not Great.......

I currently Own the Rti A9 and Csi A6.......( and have Owned ) Paradigm Studio 100's V5 and CC-690( I AGREE NOT a Fair comparison ) .......9 1/2 out of 10 People would Probably choose to have the Paradigm as their 2 channel set-up.......

Compared to the Lsi Series IDK.....Maybe they'd give the Paradigm a run for thier Money........But then again your reading a Post from someone who thinks Speakers are way Overpriced in the first Place........
post #39 of 49 Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^^ I'm the 1 in 10 I don't particularly care for anything less than Paradigm Signature for 2 channel listening, and chose LSi9 over Paradigm Monitors. Not that I'm fighting for that 'audiophile' badge or anything, 'cause it really doesn't matter.

post #40 of 49 Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Kuro80 View Post

I Personally dont think Polk are Audiophile speakers......There Good, but Not Great.......

I currently Own the Rti A9 and Csi A6...........

What are you driving them with? I've got mine (A9) bi-amped with 200wpc to the top and 300 to the bottom and in 2ch music is pretty incredible.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #41 of 49 Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Liked: 10
LSi9 owner here. Upgrade bug bit me recently, and I've spent a lot of time auditioning speakers. Over the past three weeks, I've had auditioning time with the Totem Hawks, Monitor Audio Rx8's, B&W CM9, Paradigm Studio 60 and 100, and the Sonus Faber Toy Tower (Just heard them today today actually).

I wouldn't go as far as say that the LSi9's bested the entire group, but they most certainly hold their own.....and given the price that you can pick the LSi's up right now, they are an awesome value. I haven't found a compelling reason to pull the upgrade trigger just yet.

In lieu of buying new speakers, I opted to have the cross-overs upgraded on these instead. Take all the audiophile snobbery away and look at the LSi's with an unbiased eye, and its hard to deny that its a quality bookshelf through and through (puny crossover components aside). Ring radiator tweeter, extremely well designed and braced cabinet (and heavy), cascade tapered array crossover.

That said, I do have the opportunity to pick up the Paradigm Studio 20 v5's from a friend for a good price, and will pit them against my modded LSi9's in a fight to the death (i.e. loser gets sold off!). Not sure how I feel about the Paradigm's based on what I've heard, but they are a very different speaker, do have qualities I like.
post #42 of 49 Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 52
personally i don't care if they're "audiophile" or not, they sound good to me & that's all that matters. i just purchased m70s, cs2, m40s last month & haven't looked back but then again, i'm not much of a label guy either lol. now if i win the lottery, i can be!

"To the journey..
Sony KDL60W630b; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #43 of 49 Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

That would be me So far I have built:

Zaph ZDT 3.5s
Zaph ZA14W08's (Center and MTM's incredible driver)
X-LS Encores
Two sealed TC Sounds DB500 Subs
Two Kappa Perfect ported Subs
The the Curt Campbells Statements. These I would put into the $10K or so range. Just an amazing speaker.

My investment in routers (1 table, 3 handheld), tablesaw, jigs, compressor and HVLP rig, have been paid off EASILY. I can build anything I want now.

You can also pick up the LSI-9's dirt cheap now. Pair them with dual subs and nice 4 ohm rated receiver (HK/Denon/Yamaha) and you will have a setup with some legs.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #44 of 49 Old 04-22-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

What are you driving them with? I've got mine (A9) bi-amped with 200wpc to the top and 300 to the bottom and in 2ch music is pretty incredible.

Im actually using my Old Onkyo/Interga 919 receivers amp section, Only along with integra Dtc-9.8..............Its 100 watts to the front 3..........Knowing already the someone would suggest that 100 was Not enough....I was Home 1 day and Cranked the stereo ( Listening to Ipod ) as Loud as it would go, I Admit that the louder you go the Better they sound, although, i could'nt sit through that for an entire Movie for that....
post #45 of 49 Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Kuro80 View Post

I Admit that the louder you go the Better they sound, although, i could'nt sit through that for an entire Movie for that....

Hey Kuro, thanks for the reply.

Well, at least you have some power going to them other than the receiver.

I could be wrong, but was thinking at least 200w to do justice to those tanks might give you some more headroom.

I was doing some 2ch listening Fri. night around -11, really good stuff.

Placement? I've got mine about 2' off the back wall and 3.5' off the side walls. 9' apart and toed in so the axis crosses at the back of the head (seating area), listening distance is 11'.

Placement and adequate power is key from what I can tell, in fact, one of the cons from a review I read prior to my purchase, was that the A9's need a good amount of power to sound their best.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #46 of 49 Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Liked: 10
I have Polk LSi9's powered by a Sherbourn amp. Let me just tell you that anyone who thinks they are NOT "Audiophile" grade is either:

1.) Ignorant
2.) a snob
3.) An elitist
4.) Misinformed
5.) Never listened to them
6.) All of the above.

These speakers are amazing.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #47 of 49 Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
An audiophile is a person with a strong interest in high-quality sound (usually music) reproduction.
That's the text book definition, but over the last 20 odd years it's morphed into something quite different, perhaps best exemplified by this:

audio_design.jpg

Are Polk audiophile grade? If you like listening to music and like how they sound, yes. If you think that the quality of the listening experience is directly proportional to how much you paid for your gear, no.
Mirthful Me likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #48 of 49 Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

bill, that pic NEVER gets old... biggrin.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #49 of 49 Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That's the text book definition, but over the last 20 odd years it's morphed into something quite different, perhaps best exemplified by this:
audio_design.jpg
Are Polk audiophile grade? If you like listening to music and like how they sound, yes. If you think that the quality of the listening experience is directly proportional to how much you paid for your gear, no.

So.......what are you saying????? Are you actually trying to say my gear was NOT designed by fairies and unicorns? Yeah right, and you probably believe they actually sent a man to the moon.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page