My challenge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i have read about hundred posts and found amazing material but not quite what i need. Here's my deal. I am new to this keep in mind...
I have two nht 1.1's currently with replacement dayton drivers. I am a college student working on a stupidly low budget but willing to use ebay audiogone or any other source to get good gear. I am looking for an 80% music 20% movie set up. I want a center channel and am looking at the matching nht center channel. For a sub i have read conflicting posts..what I am leaning toward now is a lava lsp08. I think it would pair well with my existing set up without overpowering it. It is for a small room (apartment). Also i would like receiver ideas. Doesn't have to be the most up to date, just put out great sound and not take a 4 year degree to set up (sony-es). One last thought i had was a carver amp for my nht speakers. they sound great loud but not so good quiet and i thought that may help to clean it up a bit.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
ok novice, I'll give it a shot...
never heard the nht's you mention, but with different drivers in them, even looking up the original specs would be pointless, they're different now. Speakers are designed as a sum of drivers, enclosure, and crossover, and changing one can throw it all off.
low budget... that's not helpful in this hobby... but what exactly do you NOT like about what you already have?
for 80% music, what's the need for a center channel? just use 2 channel. what's the sub? what's the receiver? room size? listening habits?
Lava subs? never heard them. Can't even compare without knowing what you have now, and what you want from any potential 'upgrade'. It may be a sideways step with no benefit except a thinner wallet.
Good receiver? Lots.
4 year degree needed? NO. My 14 year old has read and understands every manual for every piece of gear I have... been great including him in the process... and it is an ongoing process.
Carver amp ? really? big $$ thrown at an unexplained problem there. I can tell you, it wont help with sound quality at low volumes. It may give you more volume at the top end, but living in an apartment? why?
I really don't mean to offend, but you haven't given nearly enough info for anyone to make any recommendations, esp. since you're unclear in your goals. Methinks that's why you haven't gotten any replies. I'd say reading a few hundred more posts is the first step. (man that sounds harsh, and it really isn't intended to, but you've given us so little to go on).
And I'll be the first to say there are many, MANY more knowledgeable peeps here, but if noone else will say it..... your question is un-answerable as posted.
help us help you, please
Joseph

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Wlhungdude is right. It would be helpful to explain what your current gear is. Also, I agree. Now that you changed out the drivers in your towers, the matching NHT center may no longer match.

If you can afford it, the Outlaw Audio M8 on B-Stock at $225 is a better choice than the Lava 8". See the discussion in this thread.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you and sorry for the lack of details. The speakers in question are NHT super ones from 1996 that read model 1.1 on back and had seen them referred to as both names. As far s the drivers in them...they are as close to the originals per spec's as possible. For room size i am moving soon but am sure it will either be in a bedroom (about 110sq.ft. with an 8 ft. ceiling so 880cubic feet)or a slightly larger main room but should be close to that size. I love the way my system sound currently but it is a little week on bass and i am considering turning it into a 5.1 system. As far as what i dont like
1. To little bass
2. Sounds great loud...not so happy with it at normal late night apartment levels

As far as a budget i am doing everything in steps so $300 for a sub, $200 for a center(should be closer to 150) and again $300 for a receiver (The one i have Is trash)

For a sub I need something forgiving with placement and that will sound good without listening at very loud levels. Thank you again
Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
For an under $300 sub I dont think the Energy S10.3 can be beat. For a receiver you definitely want to look at one with Audyssey MultiEQ, which is among the many other nice features of this Marantz NR1601.

I think if you want to turn this into surround sound you would be much better off buying a new L/C/R, and moving your current speakers to surround. That would of course push your budget a little.

Here's a good starting point for speakers

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

For an under $300 sub I dont think the Energy S10.3 can be beat. For a receiver you definitely want to look at one with Audyssey MultiEQ, which is among the many other nice features of this Marantz NR1601.

I think if you want to turn this into surround sound you would be much better off buying a new L/C/R, and moving your current speakers to surround. That would of course push your budget a little.

Here's a good starting point for speakers

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

I'd back up Jay here on the S10.3. For the price and your sound area, a very good deal for a musical sub, which is no slouch on HT.

You might want to look at the clearance area at Vanns, as an example this is one of the AVRs available refurbished with full warranty. I'm a Pioneer guy, so I liked it, but there are plenty of HK's, Denons and Onkyos from a good retailer with full warranties to select from.

On the speakers, I'd agree that you want a matched set of L/C/R; that won't happen for 200, so for the best match, get another NHT 1.1 as a center for 200. Three matched speakers for the front is a good situation.

Don't overspend on the receiver, speakers are the biggest bang for the buck.

So... 250 for the sub (S10.3), 300 or less for the receiver on clearance (?) and one NHT 1.1 for 200 gets you a 3.1 setup which will fill your current room nicely.

Then as you save money for a good front trio, the sub will fill in nicely for your NHTs on the low end, move the fronts back for a 6.1 when you're ready.