Recommended 5.1 Speaker Budget/Brands/Models for My HT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All - I've reecently completed putting my HT system together, all except for the speakers. The key elements are:

Sharp Elite TV
Pioneer Elite SC-57 AVR
Oppo 95 blu-ray player

With these core components, what would you suggest for:
1) the budget for the 5.1 speakers?
2) the ideal speaker brand(s)/models? (and ideally, a low profile center speaker)

I'm currently using some entry-level PSB's, which I suspect can't live up to the quality of the core components above.

Please note that the WAF absolutely limits me to a 5.1 set-up!

Thanks,
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think it would be easier if you told us what your ideal budget is.

You spent a grand on the Oppo, correct? What are you using it for? Do you intend to use the analog outs for music? Is it just for HT?

What size is your room? A little more info would be helpful.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Towers, bookshelf? You have some nice core components. I would pair some pretty nice speakers with them. When you say WAF, what are her restrictions?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Hey JD - I'm an Oppo owner too, but with a fairly powerful HDMI based AVR like the SC 57, I'd suggest returning the 95 and getting a 93, add the 500 to your speaker budget, if that's an issue.

The HDMI sound processing from both is (to me) the equivalent of the 95. Unless you're using some great older gear, I think you're not getting the best bang for your buck.

You can get better advice if you can tell us a few things:
  1. What is your maximum budget
  2. Your room size in length, width, height
  3. Are floor standers possible, bookshelves or monitors
  4. How many subs can you have
  5. Your use: % use of the system for - music, movies, games
  6. The Oppo has very high end disc capabilities, are you using or will use SACD/DVD-A/FLAC/high quality CDs

As an example:

I have a pretty good Energy system right now (7.2), with the Pioneer Elite vsx-33 for an apartment setup. It is by no means the most expensive thing around (the Energys are a bargain right now) for a living room that is about 14 X 17 X 8. It is very good for my purposes.

My listening preferences are 50% music, 50% movies, so good resolution of sounds at the speakers and subs is important. I live in an apartment, so can't drive a 15" sub the way I would want to, so I have twin 8" subs. I have towers and a good sized center for the fronts, good sized bookshelves for surrounds, and small speakers (rc-minis) for back surround duty.

I use FLAC/SACD/DVD-A's/ bluray concerts very often, so music duty for the system is important. If I did more movies or mostly movies, my choices in speakers may have been different.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 259
If you want an absolutely wonderful-sounding system, and can afford it, I would recommend that you build the system around the PSB Image T6 speakers, which I have had for about a year and are the best that I could find for under $2000. They give me 90% of the sound quality I have at my other home with Vandersteen 3A speakers ($4300). Very very nice, and amazingly good for only $1300!

Put the Image T6 speakers ($1300), with the C4 center speaker ($299), and the B5 speakers for the rear ($450), and you will have a system that will be hard to beat without going well over $3000.

Actually, since you already have some PSB speakers, you might want to start by getting the T6 and C4 speakers, and using the ones you have for the rear speakers for a while to see how that sounds. I don't know which ones you have, so it is hard to say how those would compare to the B5 speakers, which you can always add at any time.

The T6 speakers have substantial bass, and I would try them without a subwoofer to start with and see how that sounds to you.

The Rythmic FV12 subwoofer is $499, and would be a recommended addition at some point. I am using the NHT B12D subwoofer ($700) with my T6s. I selected the NHT sub because of its compact size relative to its high performance.

The sound quality of the OPPO BDP-95 is off the charts; I strongly recommend that you stay with it. It is in a class by itself, and would be worth $3000 if that was its price (it sounds better than my $6000 Ayre C5xe/MP with both CD and SACD!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Hi All - I've reecently completed putting my HT system together, all except for the speakers. The key elements are:

Sharp Elite TV
Pioneer Elite SC-57 AVR
Oppo 95 blu-ray player

With these core components, what would you suggest for:
1) the budget for the 5.1 speakers?
2) the ideal speaker brand(s)/models? (and ideally, a low profile center speaker)

I'm currently using some entry-level PSB's, which I suspect can't live up to the quality of the core components above.

Thanks,
JD

Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Considering what you've spent so far, your 5.1 speaker budget should be at least $6k. If that sounds over board send that receiver and BD player back and start over with your max budget in mind.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:

Based on what you spent so far -
Focal Electra
http://www.musicdirect.com/c-729-foc...-s-series.aspx

PSB Synchrony 2
http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...hrony_Two.html

Atlantic Technology
http://shop.avscience.com/Atlantic-T...stem_p_91.html

Hsu sub
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15.html

Rythmik sub
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F15HP.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies. To answer hernanu's specific questions:

1) Maximum budget:
- I'd asked for budget suggestions because I thought there may be a consenus speaker cost % of the overall system cost, which I could use as a guideline
- I have no doubt that there would be some ultra high-end gear that would be wildly beyond my budget, but I'm willing to spend enough for speakers that would do the rest of my system justice
- short answer: $10 k (I like the fact the system is modular and that I don't have to necessarily get everything at once so I can spread the cost out over time)

2) Room Dimensions: roughly 18 ft L x 12 ft W x 10 ft H

3) Available Speaker Types (what do you mean by "monitors"?):
- floor standing for fronts
- potentiall SMALL floorstanding for rear surrounds but, ideally, bookshelves
- I'd prefer a lower profile (smaller) center for WAF

4) Number of Subs: 1

5) System Use:
- primarily movies (and some limited gaming) for now: 80%
- some music for now: 20%
- music % will likely increase over time (I wouldn't mind building in the capability now for future use)

6) Use of High Quality Audio Source Material:
- a long time ago I was a pretty serious audiophile with a $20 k + system: Maggie 3's, VPI turntable, Classe pre and power amp, etc.
- I'll likely include some higher-quality audio source material to my system (hence the Oppo 95 over the 93) over time and even include a turntable at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Hey JD - I'm an Oppo owner too, but with a fairly powerful HDMI based AVR like the SC 57, I'd suggest returning the 95 and getting a 93, add the 500 to your speaker budget, if that's an issue.

The HDMI sound processing from both is (to me) the equivalent of the 95. Unless you're using some great older gear, I think you're not getting the best bang for your buck.

You can get better advice if you can tell us a few things:
  1. What is your maximum budget
  2. Your room size in length, width, height
  3. Are floor standers possible, bookshelves or monitors
  4. How many subs can you have
  5. Your use: % use of the system for - music, movies, games
  6. The Oppo has very high end disc capabilities, are you using or will use SACD/DVD-A/FLAC/high quality CDs

As an example:

I have a pretty good Energy system right now (7.2), with the Pioneer Elite vsx-33 for an apartment setup. It is by no means the most expensive thing around (the Energys are a bargain right now) for a living room that is about 14 X 17 X 8. It is very good for my purposes.

My listening preferences are 50% music, 50% movies, so good resolution of sounds at the speakers and subs is important. I live in an apartment, so can't drive a 15" sub the way I would want to, so I have twin 8" subs. I have towers and a good sized center for the fronts, good sized bookshelves for surrounds, and small speakers (rc-minis) for back surround duty.

I use FLAC/SACD/DVD-A's/ bluray concerts very often, so music duty for the system is important. If I did more movies or mostly movies, my choices in speakers may have been different.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll probably be bombarded with recommendations shortly, as that is a very healthy budget. Do you only have room for a single sub? Dual subs can offer significant SQ advantages, something to consider. Anyway, I'll get started with an uber $10k single sub system

Salk Veracity HT3 $6k

Salk HT2C $1700

Salk HTS MT surround $1200

HSU VTF-15 $1k

I'm pretty comfortable saying you're not going to get better music performance from any other recommendation compared to the Salk HT3, though I dont know how well that pioneer receiver will do.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There are far more knowledgeable people on here than I, but if I had that much money to start a HT with, the first place I would call would be Seaton and order a SubM HP.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks everyone for your replies. To answer hernanu's specific questions:

1) Maximum budget:
- I'd asked for budget suggestions because I thought there may be a consenus speaker cost % of the overall system cost, which I could use as a guideline
- I have no doubt that there would be some ultra high-end gear that would be wildly beyond my budget, but I'm willing to spend enough for speakers that would do the rest of my system justice
- short answer: $10 k (I like the fact the system is modular and that I don't have to necessarily get everything at once so I can spread the cost out over time)

Budget levels I think are malleable, but recommendations vary according to the budget. My speakers cost about $2000 for L/C/R,surrounds, back and two subs (discounted heavily from MSRP).

At 10k, much more is possible for speakers, so like was mentioned, you'll get a slew of recommendations. Does that budget include subs?

Quote:

2) Room Dimensions: roughly 18 ft L x 12 ft W x 10 ft H

Not huge, but good sized. I assume not an apartment, so good sized subs are possible?

Quote:

3) Available Speaker Types (what do you mean by "monitors"?):
- floor standing for fronts
- potentiall SMALL floorstanding for rear surrounds but, ideally, bookshelves
- I'd prefer a lower profile (smaller) center for WAF

Sorry - monitors / bookshelves sometimes interchange in my mind. Can you do a floorstander as a center?

Quote:

4) Number of Subs: 1

Might look at upping that to two to get more movie impact.

Quote:

5) System Use:
- primarily movies (and some limited gaming) for now: 80%
- some music for now: 20%
- music % will likely increase over time (I wouldn't mind building in the capability now for future use)

Pretty standard. The Oppo's music capabilities will drive that upward, but good mix of use. In that case (possible music use later), you want a sub that can handle music well as well as hitting the movie lows.

Quote:

6) Use of High Quality Audio Source Material:
- a long time ago I was a pretty serious audiophile with a $20 k + system: Maggie 3's, VPI turntable, Classe pre and power amp, etc.
- I'll likely include some higher-quality audio source material to my system (hence the Oppo 95 over the 93) over time and even include a turntable at some point

The only reason for my recommending the step down to the 93 is the receiver's ability with HDMI and the fact that the HDMI handling is identical for both the 95 and 93. If you plan on using analog signals, then the 95 is the way to go.

Sounds like you're going to have a great system, I would also recommend looking at room treatments, since those are high in the bang for the buck parade:

(To me, in decreasing importance for audio quality):

Speakers > Room treatments > Receiver > Sources > amps > wiring, et al.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

There are far more knowledgeable people on here than I, but if I had that much money to start a HT with, the first place I would call would be Seaton and order a SubM HP.

Agreed. Or at least a JTR Captivator. Read about these two subs in the AVS subwoofer forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=759877
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186832

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jay1 - those are some serious looking speakers! I'm not familiar with the brand, but I have been out of the loop for a while now (back in my day Infinity speakers were considered pretty high end). One thing I noticed was they were all rated 4 ohms - do you think that could be an issue for the SC-57?

The fronts also seem to have good bass response. Where do you think the sub crossover should go with those babies? The MCACC forum crowd seems to almost always recommend either 80 hz or 100 hz regardless of fronts.

I'm afraid I would be limited to a single sub (unless you can just jam two side-by-side!).

- JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

You'll probably be bombarded with recommendations shortly, as that is a very healthy budget. Do you only have room for a single sub? Dual subs can offer significant SQ advantages, something to consider. Anyway, I'll get started with an uber $10k single sub system

Salk Veracity HT3 $6k

Salk HT2C $1700

Salk HTS MT surround $1200

HSU VTF-15 $1k

I'm pretty comfortable saying you're not going to get better music performance from any other recommendation compared to the Salk HT3, though I dont know how well that pioneer receiver will do.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yes - it's a house. I'm almost certain I'd be limited to 1 sub (can you just jam two side-by-side?) and the speaker budget would include the sub within the 10 k.

I can't do a floorstander for the center. And I prefer not to have to raise up my TV wall mounting to fit in a larger center on the mantle (plus there is the WAF issue). So I'd prefer a lower-profile center if possible (< 7 inches high).

I hear you on the room treatments, but the WAF definitely eliminates the possibility of doing any.

Any specific recommendations for the speakers?

- JD

Quote:

Budget levels I think are malleable, but recommendations vary according to the budget. My speakers cost about $2000 for L/C/R,surrounds, back and two subs (discounted heavily from MSRP).

At 10k, much more is possible for speakers, so like was mentioned, you'll get a slew of recommendations. Does that budget include subs?

Not huge, but good sized. I assume not an apartment, so good sized subs are possible?

Sorry - monitors / bookshelves sometimes interchange in my mind. Can you do a floorstander as a center?

Might look at upping that to two to get more movie impact.

Pretty standard. The Oppo's music capabilities will drive that upward, but good mix of use. In that case (possible music use later), you want a sub that can handle music well as well as hitting the movie lows.

The only reason for my recommending the step down to the 93 is the receiver's ability with HDMI and the fact that the HDMI handling is identical for both the 95 and 93. If you plan on using analog signals, then the 95 is the way to go.

Sounds like you're going to have a great system, I would also recommend looking at room treatments, since those are high in the bang for the buck parade:

(To me, in decreasing importance for audio quality):

Speakers > Room treatments > Receiver > Sources > amps > wiring, et al.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just double-checked: I've got the Image T45 floors, Image B15 surrounds, Subseries 1 sub, and a Def Tech ProCenter 1000.

I should mention that overall I'm pretty happy with the sound of the current set-up, especially for movies. But then again I haven't been shopping around to hear anything top-of-the-line for comparison.

I like the sound (excuse the pun) of that NHT B12D subwoofer since you mention it's compact.

- JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

If you want an absolutely wonderful-sounding system, and can afford it, I would recommend that you build the system around the PSB Image T6 speakers, which I have had for about a year and are the best that I could find for under $2000. They give me 90% of the sound quality I have at my other home with Vandersteen 3A speakers ($4300). Very very nice, and amazingly good for only $1300!

Put the Image T6 speakers ($1300), with the C4 center speaker ($299), and the B5 speakers for the rear ($450), and you will have a system that will be hard to beat without going well over $3000.

Actually, since you already have some PSB speakers, you might want to start by getting the T6 and C4 speakers, and using the ones you have for the rear speakers for a while to see how that sounds. I don't know which ones you have, so it is hard to say how those would compare to the B5 speakers, which you can always add at any time.

The T6 speakers have substantial bass, and I would try them without a subwoofer to start with and see how that sounds to you.

The Rythmic FV12 subwoofer is $499, and would be a recommended addition at some point. I am using the NHT B12D subwoofer ($700) with my T6s. I selected the NHT sub because of its compact size relative to its high performance.

The sound quality of the OPPO BDP-95 is off the charts; I strongly recommend that you stay with it. It is in a class by itself, and would be worth $3000 if that was its price (it sounds better than my $6000 Ayre C5xe/MP with both CD and SACD!!).

Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want a sealed sub, look at the Rythmik sealed subs. They'll have better low end bass extension than the NHT, and they are generally considered the most musical/accurate you can buy at their price. Also check out the offerings from SVS.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Jay1 - those are some serious looking speakers! I'm not familiar with the brand, but I have been out of the loop for a while now (back in my day Infinity speakers were considered pretty high end). One thing I noticed was they were all rated 4 ohms - do you think that could be an issue for the SC-57?

The fronts also seem to have good bass response. Where do you think the sub crossover should go with those babies? The MCACC forum crowd seems to almost always recommend either 80 hz or 100 hz regardless of fronts.

I'm afraid I would be limited to a single sub (unless you can just jam two side-by-side!).

- JD

That receiver will drive 4 ohm speakers, and it's only the front 3 LCR that are 4 ohm. You would still want an 80hz x-over to reduce power demands on the receiver (sub bass is very demanding). The 10" woofer still covers the mid-bass, so it's not like it's going to waste. You could also always add a 2-channel amp at a later time for those HT3's, or at least find one to try out and see if it makes a difference.

Salk is relatively new to the speaker world, but they're highly regarded by anyone who's seen/heard their speakers. Do some searching around.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Now that I've looked around a bit and given it some serious thought there are 2 significant problems I'll have with upgrading:

1) it looks like high-end center speakers are just bigger than I had aniticipated
- as I mentioned, the TV is wall mounted above a fairly high fireplace mantle (4.5 feet) and I don't want to raise it any higher to accommodate a taller center
- I could consider mounting the center on the front of the mantel, but that may not work from an acoustics perspective, might really be ugly from an interior design perspective, and the WAF may make that a non-starter anyway
is anyone aware of a stand that might work for this situation? (I know - WAF alert!)

This may be HT heresey, but maybe I could just upgrade the fronts, and sub for now, and demote the PSB floors to function as surrounds, and just kind of keep my eye out for a suitable, low profile center? Or would you defintely upgrade the surrounds at the same time?

2) hearing any of these speakers before buying them
- I know this is a general issue wih the Salk's as they have no dealers and I guess it's the same for Rythmik and HSU and SVS
- there just aren't all that many good audio/home theater dealers in my city

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to audition some Monitor Audio gear and maybe some B&W speakers before buying. What does everyone think of each brand's products in my price range? Actually, I can probably work a pretty good discount on the Monitor Audio stuff. What's a typical/good % discount off MSRP for high-end speakers (I got 20% off or better on the TV and AVR)?

Thanks again, everbody.

- JD

Quote:

That receiver will drive 4 ohm speakers, and it's only the front 3 LCR that are 4 ohm. You would still want an 80hz x-over to reduce power demands on the receiver (sub bass is very demanding). The 10" woofer still covers the mid-bass, so it's not like it's going to waste. You could also always add a 2-channel amp at a later time for those HT3's, or at least find one to try out and see if it makes a difference.

Salk is relatively new to the speaker world, but they're highly regarded by anyone who's seen/heard their speakers. Do some searching around.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

- JD

The SC-57 is rated down to 6 Ohms but not 4. I emailed Pioneer with the same question and that was their response.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Now that I've looked around a bit and given it some serious thought there are 2 significant problems I'll have with upgrading:

1) it looks like high-end center speakers are just bigger than I had aniticipated
- as I mentioned, the TV is wall mounted above a fairly high fireplace mantle (4.5 feet) and I don't want to raise it any higher to accommodate a taller center
- I could consider mounting the center on the front of the mantel, but that may not work from an acoustics perspective, might really be ugly from an interior design perspective, and the WAF may make that a non-starter anyway
is anyone aware of a stand that might work for this situation? (I know - WAF alert!)

- JD

I have similar issues. I'm using a Vienna Waltz for my CC, it sits on top of the mantle, it's only about 7 inches high and about 5 inches deep.
Since we rarely use our fireplace, I'm thinking about going with identical stand-mounted monitors for the LCR, leaving room for a bigger screen eventually. I figure I can always pull the CC out a little or to the side for the rare occasion the FP is used.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This may be HT heresey, but maybe I could just upgrade the fronts, and sub for now, and demote the PSB floors to function as surrounds, and just kind of keep my eye out for a suitable, low profile center?

Not just heresy. A "suitable" center needs to be from the same manufacturer, and typically even the same speaker line, for a smooth front sound stage. It needs to be timbre matched to the front L/R, so much so that many people on AVS would rather run without a center than the wrong center.

Then again, the BEST timbre match is the same speaker as the front L/R. Maybe you can get permission to use three towers for your front three speakers

So figure out your center solution first.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

The SC-57 is rated down to 6 Ohms but not 4. I emailed Pioneer with the same question and that was their response.

Measured 215 watts x2 @ 4ohm 0.1% distortion, 254 watts 1% distortion

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...-57_Review.pdf

I'm guessing the AVR would struggle with 9 channels @ 4ohm, but the front 3 will be fine.

jd_alpha, yes you can get a stand for the center

http://www.gwizpro.com/stands/prodde...?prod=SCStands
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This may be HT heresey, but maybe I could just upgrade the fronts, and sub for now, and demote the PSB floors to function as surrounds, and just kind of keep my eye out for a suitable, low profile center? Or would you defintely upgrade the surrounds at the same time?

2) hearing any of these speakers before buying them
- I know this is a general issue wih the Salk's as they have no dealers and I guess it's the same for Rythmik and HSU and SVS
- there just aren't all that many good audio/home theater dealers in my city

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to audition some Monitor Audio gear and maybe some B&W speakers before buying. What does everyone think of each brand's products in my price range? Actually, I can probably work a pretty good discount on the Monitor Audio stuff. What's a typical/good % discount off MSRP for high-end speakers (I got 20% off or better on the TV and AVR)?

Thanks again, everbody.

- JD

1) One possibility would be putting the center over the TV, if there's room and WAF buy in. It's not ideal, but would work.

on 2) internet direct companies usually have a month or so return period to allow auditioning of speakers, your expense would be return shipping. This lets you audition them in your space, which is the best thing to do IMO. If you go to a dealer, you're still listening in their space, not yours - at your budget, you want them to sound great in your area.

The SC-57 has full pre-outs, so if there's any concern over the 4 ohm speakers, I'd just get some amps and tie in the front three through those. Ideally though, their amp section is pretty nice, so should be able to handle them.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks hernanu - I'll consider putting the center over the TV. That positioning is inferior in terms of acoustics to below the TV?

And I didn't know the SC-57 could output anything to power amps - cool! Although I would prefer to keep it simple and just use the AVR to power all the speakers (cost & WAF!).

After poking around a bit, I noticed that Spendor has a pretty small center - the C5.2 - and the brand has some good reviews as audiophile quality speakers. Their fronts may also handle being positioned with their backs close to the wall better than most speaker from the little I've read (which will definitely be a factor in my set-up). These are another brand that I may have a chance of auditioning at a local dealer before buying them.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Monitor Audio, B&W, or Spendor speakers in my budget range?

I haven't researched the PSB recommendations either - anyone else like those particular PSBs?

- JD

Quote:

1) One possibility would be putting the center over the TV, if there's room and WAF buy in. It's not ideal, but would work.

on 2) internet direct companies usually have a month or so return period to allow auditioning of speakers, your expense would be return shipping. This lets you audition them in your space, which is the best thing to do IMO. If you go to a dealer, you're still listening in their space, not yours - at your budget, you want them to sound great in your area.

The SC-57 has full pre-outs, so if there's any concern over the 4 ohm speakers, I'd just get some amps and tie in the front three through those. Ideally though, their amp section is pretty nice, so should be able to handle them.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks hernanu - I'll consider putting the center over the TV. That positioning is inferior in terms of acoustics to below the TV?

And I didn't know the SC-57 could output anything to power amps - cool! Although I would prefer to keep it simple and just use the AVR to power all the speakers (cost & WAF!).

After poking around a bit, I noticed that Spendor has a pretty small center - the C5.2 - and the brand has some good reviews as audiophile quality speakers. Their fronts may also handle being positioned with their backs close to the wall better than most speaker from the little I've read (which will definitely be a factor in my set-up). These are another brand that I may have a chance of auditioning at a local dealer before buying them.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Monitor Audio, B&W, or Spendor speakers in my budget range?

I haven't researched the PSB recommendations either - anyone else like those particular PSBs?

- JD

Cant say I've heard it, but that design doesnt inspire much confidence. 4.5 khz crossover for an MTM center is going to have all kinds of off axis problems.

Maybe check out DefTech Mythos. Mythos 10 is 6 1/16"

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...hosSeries.aspx
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:

I can't do a floorstander for the center. And I prefer not to have to raise up my TV wall mounting to fit in a larger center on the mantle (plus there is the WAF issue). So I'd prefer a lower-profile center if possible (< 7 inches high).

The PSB center in post #7 is a little over 7" high (7-3/8)

The Monitor RX Silver center is a little over 7" high (7-5/16)

Check them out.

To me, Monitor Audio from the Silver series up - is one of the best performers out there.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

OK - so I've got lightbulbs going on now. The Mythos 10 can be positioned vertically or horizontally or both, hence L/C/R.

Dammit though Jay1 - now maybe the Mythos system is a contender. What does everyone think of the SuperTowers with the integrated powered subs? It appears as though the LFE input is optional so you only need to hook up 1 speaker cable per tower? How about the Gem XL surrounds - any good?

Cheers,
JD

Quote:

Cant say I've heard it, but that design doesnt inspire much confidence. 4.5 khz crossover for an MTM center is going to have all kinds of off axis problems.

Maybe check out DefTech Mythos. Mythos 10 is 6 1/16"

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...hosSeries.aspx

Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK - so I've got lightbulbs going on now. The Mythos 10 can be positioned vertically or horizontally or both, hence L/C/R.

Dammit though Jay1 - now maybe the Mythos system is a contender. What does everyone think of the SuperTowers with the integrated powered subs? It appears as though the LFE input is optional so you only need to hook up 1 speaker cable per tower? How about the Gem XL surrounds - any good?

Cheers,
JD

You might try the DefTech owners thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=def+tech
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed there was a actually a Mythos thread too, thanks.

The message I've been hearing is that going with the Mythos ST's (or Golden Ears) involves a bit of sacrifice in terms of quality on music. The mids for music just aren't as good as with other, more conventional towers. But they are really fantastic performers in terms of movies (although purists might argue you can always do better with a seperate sub(s) rather than having them integrated into the towers).

I should be able to get to a local dealer for an audition of some DefTech stuff in a home theater set-up within the next few days. So I'll see if I agree with the standard thinking.

Again, I can't give the fronts or rears a lot of breathing space in my room, so I'm hesitant to go with any dipolar speakers. But I have seen some great reviews of the DefTech bipolars.....

-JD

Quote:

You might try the DefTech owners thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=def+tech

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:

- JD

For an HT system, you really should not worry about the bass response of the speakers. The sub/subs should be handling 80hz and down. If you want an HT system that can provide clean dynamics, then look at speakers with higher sensitivity. With your budget, I would look at the Heritage line by Klipsch. Three Klipsch La Scala II's across the front would make for a great system for HT and music. If you have not heard the Heritage line, you really should. Another good choice would be Triad Gold LCR's or Gold Monitors. If you truly wanted a system that is stellar with HT and music, you could start piecing together a system using Triad Platinum.

As far as subs go, you can place two subs side by side or stack them. If you would like to discuss this farther, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .