AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

Take a look at:

Pioneer S-1EX ($10,000), (don't let the brand fool you. It was designed by a man named Andrew Jones. Excellent designer & very nice guy.)

Revel Salon2 ($22,000)

TAD Compact Reference One ($37,000) (Few thousand over budget but it shouldn't be too hard to talk dealer down a few grand. Also designed by Andrew Jones.)

Those are my person favorite speakers. All measure very well.

Also look at Philharmonic Audio (Could save you lots of money. I just purchased the 2's )

Also look at Selah Audio. I've heard Rick Craig makes some SWEET Line Array.

Also, be sure to consider adding multiple subwoofers.

Just my. 002. YMMV.

I like your choices. Very similar to mine. I'm more of a full range tower person so prefer the full Reference One's myself though. The Salons and TADs are well over my budget, but I'd love to own a pair of either or both.

Didn't get a chance to audition the Pioneers, but even with an inside connection in Pioneer, they were above my budget so I had to "settle" for the Revel F52s.

Quote:

I looked yesterday, the SP-BS-41 ($100) off-axis looks better than the B&W 800D (20,000+). !!

Not too surprising since those were also designed by AJ. They do look like a piece of junk though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OT......Does anyone know a great omni-directional speakers in the Us? or any speaker designer who are in to this omni-directional speaker ?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercop View Post

OT......Does anyone know a great omni-directional speakers in the Us?

Linkwitz Lab is one.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked: 14
Hi :

I have listened to quite a few speakers in that price range at high end dealers all across New England althoiugh I could not afford to purchase them myself.

The speakers that I liked best in that price range were the Focal, JMLabs Utopia line in fact I think they were called Grande. Check them out at Focal .com. The Utopia Grande are concidered to be a reference. I have a 7.1 system all Focal (there lower end product offering)

There are many speakers in that price range. Go to several high end dealers and check them out. Most of the high end dealers will let you audition them in your home for the weekend. Take advantage of this.

Most high end dealers have 10 or 15 lines of speakers usualy in the halls and the whell them into the sound rooms for listening. They are typicaly hooked up to tube amps and all the sound rooms are all treated with sound panels on the walls. Better to hear them in your own home. (For that kind of money) If you live on the east Coast I could give you some recomendations although I expect if you are serious about this kind of purchase you probably have a good idea what you are doing.

Good Luck in finding what you are looking for and most of all enjoy what you finaly purchase. In a way I am a little bit envyous I buy maybe one piece of gear a year and than have to save for that. It took me years to collect what I have. For the kind of money that you are spending the speakers tend to sound exactly like live instruments and they should.

Best,

Norm L
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
To the OP:

I have recently listened to the KEF Reference 207/2 ($20,000) and KEF Blade (30,000) I enjoyed them both tremendously. I felt the Blade was more enjoyable to listen to. Personally, as I have stated before, I'd go for the Salon 2 for 13K as it is an amazing speaker.

Just wanted to throw out a few more suggestions!

Good luck and let us know what you pick!

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

To the OP:

I have recently listened to the KEF Reference 207/2 ($20,000) and KEF Blade (30,000) I enjoyed them both tremendously. I felt the Blade was more enjoyable to listen to. Personally, as I have stated before, I'd go for the Salon 2 for 13K as it is an amazing speaker.

It's really hard (impossible?) to beat the Salon2 at that price, or even at $14k or $15k. There was a time when I thought the Salon2 was the only attainable choice for me, and I would have been privileged to have a pair even at $20k, but I stumbled into a $44.4k pair of JBL K2 S9900 speakers at well under $30k, so that's the route I went, without any regrets.

Even if your upper range is $30k, don''t discount the possibility that you could grab a $35k or $45k pair of speakers within your budget at street prices. (I'm definitely NOT recommending grey market purchases.)

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

It's really hard (impossible?) to beat the Salon2 at that price, or even at $14k or $15k.

Not really. JBL's LSR 6332 midfield studio monitor is voiced very similarly to its Harman stablemate Revel Salon2, though there are some differences that in a modern system that frankly mostly favor the JBLs.* The JBL's cabinets are, however, not really suitable for display a domestic living room, whereas the Revels are well styled and finished.

So take the guts of the LSR 6332, and commission bespoke cabinetry that's acoustically identical to the factory box (same baffle dimensions, roundovers, etc.) but more suitably finished. That will likely cost several thousand dollars, depending on veneer/finish choices. But probably not $11-12k.

*The JBL's midrange driver is a bit better, probably. Likewise, unlike the Revel's woofers the JBL's woofers use Harman's flagship "Differential Drive" dual-opposed-voice voicecoils. The JBL is also markedly more efficient, making a smarter tradeoff between efficiency and extension for a modern system than the Revels. (Revels are sold by audio parts dealers, who are often a hidebound and reactionary lot. Therefore, their mains are designed to play deep into the bass, even though modern best practices is multiple subwoofers.)
The Revel wins a theoretical advantage in that its column of woofers is somewhat useful in randomizing excitation of the floor-ceiling mode in a room. Likely an advantage in terms of diffraction as well, because it has a more heavily sculpted baffle with no port near the midrange and waveguide. It's worth noting that Harman's mobile multichannel demo uses the '6332s, as well. Frankly, if I didn't have to look at them, I think the LSR 6332 is a better loudspeaker.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Not really. JBL's LSR 6332 midfield studio monitor is voiced very similarly to its Harman stablemate Revel Salon2, though there are some differences that in a modern system that frankly mostly favor the JBLs.* The JBL's cabinets are, however, not really suitable for display a domestic living room, whereas the Revels are well styled and finished.

So take the guts of the LSR 6332, and commission bespoke cabinetry that's acoustically identical to the factory box (same baffle dimensions, roundovers, etc.) but more suitably finished. That will likely cost several thousand dollars, depending on veneer/finish choices. But probably not $11-12k.

*The JBL's midrange driver is a bit better, probably. Likewise, unlike the Revel's woofers the JBL's woofers use Harman's flagship "Differential Drive" dual-opposed-voice voicecoils. The JBL is also markedly more efficient, making a smarter tradeoff between efficiency and extension for a modern system than the Revels. (Revels are sold by audio parts dealers, who are often a hidebound and reactionary lot. Therefore, their mains are designed to play deep into the bass, even though modern best practices is multiple subwoofers.)
The Revel wins a theoretical advantage in that its column of woofers is somewhat useful in randomizing excitation of the floor-ceiling mode in a room. Likely an advantage in terms of diffraction as well, because it has a more heavily sculpted baffle with no port near the midrange and waveguide. It's worth noting that Harman's mobile multichannel demo uses the '6332s, as well. Frankly, if I didn't have to look at them, I think the LSR 6332 is a better loudspeaker.

It appears the JBL 6332s are sold as left or right. As a newbie, what center would you pair with this for multichannel? Would you get 7 of these for a 7.1 setup?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

It appears the JBL 6332s are sold as left or right. As a newbie, what center would you pair with this for multichannel? Would you get 7 of these for a 7.1 setup?

I would get another Right LSR6332 speaker for the center. It just feels right.

Yeah, having seven LSR6332 for 7.1 would be awesome. It would feel like a Harman International Reference System.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To the OP:

I think the Salon2 is more like $15K and 207/2 is $13K.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

It's really hard (impossible?) to beat the Salon2 at that price, or even at $14k or $15k. There was a time when I thought the Salon2 was the only attainable choice for me, and I would have been privileged to have a pair even at $20k, but I stumbled into a $44.4k pair of JBL K2 S9900 speakers at well under $30k, so that's the route I went, without any regrets.

Even if your upper range is $30k, don''t discount the possibility that you could grab a $35k or $45k pair of speakers within your budget at street prices. (I'm definitely NOT recommending grey market purchases.)

K2's are very nice. Now there is a speaker that uses compression drivers that does an excellent job with music and HT.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I would get another Right LSR6332 speaker for the center. It just feels right.

Yeah, having seven LSR6332 for 7.1 would be awesome. It would feel like a Harman International Reference System.

A 5.4 LSR6332 setup would be absolutely orgasmic!! Although, there is really no need for LSR6332 as rears. I'd use one of his little brothers. Regardless, it would be SOOO BADASS! :P

I was just talking to a friend the other day about the LSR6332. It might be the next speaker I save for when my CSS build is finished.

HAVE:

Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

The JBL LSR 6332 a very good speaker, and I've had the opportunity to hear them in the room at Harman International in Northridge on occasion. That stellar system along with its multiple subs is very, very good.

Nonetheless, your "not really" comment is followed by so many special-case pleadings that I think you actually confirm my comment. The OP's original quest was for a pair of speakers, followed sometime later by an HT set up. But the emphasis was on a pair of speakers and focused on production models as indicated by his comments and responses.

So, you would be correct that the Revels are not hard to beat

if

...you buy a pair of JBL LSR 6332s;
...you remove (or pay to have removed) the drivers, network, speaker connectors, and port without any mishaps (assuming you don't want the ugly black baffle subassembly to be built into your new cabinets);
...you find a capable woodworker who can replicate the cabinet in a finish you like to a degree of satisfaction that you find acceptable;
...you find, purchase, and install appropriate stands to fit your mood or decor;
...you get them home without boxes and set them up without mishap on the stands;
...you purchase at least two subs to support the LSRs because they're -3dB at 54 Hz compared to the Salon's -3dB at 23 Hz;
...you feel there is no advantage of having a Be HF driver over a Ti HF driver ;
...you don't want grilles (I wouldn't) for your new, custom finish cabinets;
and
...you won't mind thinking about doing the same thing when you build out your system if you want it to have a similar fit and finish.

So as someone who has nothing but JBLs in his house, it is uncharacteristic of me to recommend the Salon2 over a very fine JBL speaker, but given the parameters as I understand them, the Salon2 is still the better choice.

I'm not saying your comment is without merit, because it has things to recommend it, but doing all that to save perhaps a thousand dollars or two (not including stands or subs or extra amp channels) is something most people spending up to $30k wouldn't want to deal with. They want to buy excellent, finished speakers, take them home, set them up, and listen to music. They do not want to manage a month-long project with an indeterminate outcome, in the hope of getting something just as good for less.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The JBL LSR 6332 a very good speaker, and I've had the opportunity to hear them in the room at Harman International in Northridge on occasion. That stellar system along with its multiple subs is very, very good.

They have 'em at Northridge!? I called and they said they don't have any finished products. I live down the street!

HAVE:

Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They have 'em at Northridge!? I called and they said they don't have any finished products. I live down the street!

They don't sell them there, but they are featured in the reference listening room:

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...reference.html

It's really quite wonderful.

The chairs were cloth when I was there, though, so no orgasmic experiences allowed. It looks like leather or vinyl in the photo.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They don't sell them there, but they are featured in the reference listening room:

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...reference.html

It's really quite wonderful.

I knew they didn't sell them but I was told they had no listening room! Fail! I'll stop by tomorrow. Can one just walk in?

HAVE:

Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by babak147 View Post

Finally moving to a house in July with a large room for office ( about 400sf ) , My budget for a pair of speakers is between 20-30K. Its going to be for critical listening, will be incorporated into a personal HT later. ( me only , family has a HT down stairs)
and No I have no electronics yet ( Amp, Processors,etc ) bought yet.
I live in Westchester NY. ( 25 miles north of NYC)
I have auditioned
-B&W 802 and 800.
-Adam tensor Gamma
-Wilson Sophia 3
But in different places with really different equipment and not even in the same day.
All nearby dealer hate Revels for some reason, They talk you out of buying them. ( I cant find a place to audition them, maybe I should go to city)
I plan to start with Peachtree grand integrated (400wpc) and upgrade electronics as I can afford it.
Please tell me what you think about speakers, I'm open to any suggestion.
Used or new doesn't matter. Aesthetics are not important. I mostely listen to classic rock and classical.
I'm a noob in HIFI audio but computer savvy.
I appreciate your input.
PS. I searched and couldn't find another thread with same question, pardon me if I missed it.

UPDATE:
Dear dealers, I will be happy if you PM me your price on the speakers that you have for sale, If you are not Local to Westchester NY or withing 50 miles please PM me your shipped price.

KEF Blades

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I knew they didn't sell them but I was told they had no listening room! Fail! I'll stop by tomorrow. Can one just walk in?

Security is pretty tight. Walk-ins likely will be turned away. It's normally used for dealer training, listener training, product testing, etc. It is also used for tours and special events.

One time I was there in association with an AVS group getting the complete tour. Another time I got an invite after buying a Synthesis® One Array complete system, and I got to hear the Everest IIs in their own room, too! I also bought some stuff off one of the JBL engineers, and took some expensive JBL gear in there for a factory retrofit to get a couple more shots at the room.

I believe our group will set up another meet that includes a visit to the reference listening room, so keep an eye on the LA Home Theater Group thread here on AVS. Last time, it included a trip to one of Revel's designer's home for a classic night of beer and loud music, Salon2s of course.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last time, it included a trip to one of Revel's designer's home for a classic night of beer and loud music, Salon2s of course.

That sounds epic!!!

Harman is sooo cool!

I don't know how I missed the LA thread! Do you meet and hold events often?

HAVE:

Old 05-09-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

I like your choices. Very similar to mine. I'm more of a full range tower person so prefer the full Reference One's myself though. The Salons and TADs are well over my budget, but I'd love to own a pair of either or both

Thank you, kind sir!

The Compact Reference One is full range. Same drivers and everything. Concentric Tweeter/Midrange and one woofer.

Quote:

Didn't get a chance to audition the Pioneers, but even with an inside connection in Pioneer, they were above my budget so I had to "settle" for the Revel F52s.

The Pioneers were very nice. I can't compare them to the Blade, 207/2, Salon 2, CR1, etc because I couldn't demo them all in the same room at the same time, but I'd be very happy with any of those speakers! The Pioneers are astonishing for their price range (as far as commercial loudspeakers go...)

Still have that connection at Pioneer?? :P I'd love to get my hands on the S-1EX! A dealer offered it to me for 5K. I will eventually go back and save up for it! In fact, I think THAT will be the next speaker I save for.

Quote:

Not too surprising since those were also designed by AJ. They do look like a piece of junk though.

They look awful! When I met AJ I told him I owned the SP FS-51 and he is very proud of them. He described them as "A fun speaker to listen to."

TO THE OP:

Sorry about derailing the thread. I'll cease to speak now. :P

HAVE:

Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Did you ever listen to the KEF 207/2?

I think it even measures just slightly "better" than the Salon2. The KEF 201/2 measures better than Salon2 as well, I think.

No one in a radios of 50 miles have 207/2s on display.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I predict the Salon 2 and the 207/2 are going to sound extremely similar. I've heard both of them but not in the same room, and months apart.

Did you end up hearing the Salon 2, my friend?

HAVE:

Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 View Post

Hi :

I have listened to quite a few speakers in that price range at high end dealers all across New England althoiugh I could not afford to purchase them myself.

The speakers that I liked best in that price range were the Focal, JMLabs Utopia line in fact I think they were called Grande. Check them out at Focal .com. The Utopia Grande are concidered to be a reference. I have a 7.1 system all Focal (there lower end product offering)

There are many speakers in that price range. Go to several high end dealers and check them out. Most of the high end dealers will let you audition them in your home for the weekend. Take advantage of this.

Most high end dealers have 10 or 15 lines of speakers usualy in the halls and the whell them into the sound rooms for listening. They are typicaly hooked up to tube amps and all the sound rooms are all treated with sound panels on the walls. Better to hear them in your own home. (For that kind of money) If you live on the east Coast I could give you some recomendations although I expect if you are serious about this kind of purchase you probably have a good idea what you are doing.

Good Luck in finding what you are looking for and most of all enjoy what you finaly purchase. In a way I am a little bit envyous I buy maybe one piece of gear a year and than have to save for that. It took me years to collect what I have. For the kind of money that you are spending the speakers tend to sound exactly like live instruments and they should.

Best,

Norm L

I live in Westchester NY, Plz PM me with your recommendations.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They sound just like the 201/2, except the 207/2 can play a lot louder if you desire and has a lot more bass.

So audition the 201/2 or another model in the Reference line.