Apartment HT -- Difference btwn $400 Energys and $1250 Paradigms? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My setup:
I live in an 875 sq-ft 1-bedroom apartment. Building is a solidly-constructed high-rise apartment, has 'sound-reducing' panels in the walls between units. TV is a Sony 55HX929, in a 16x10' living room that has wall-to-wall carpeting.

My problem (or, well, let's call it an opportunity!):
I currently have no receiver or speakers, so I'm on the hunt for some. Will largely be used for watching sports on TV, movies and TV shows. Will rarely be used for music.

Advice I'm seeking from the AVS-forum brain trust:
I'm willing to spend up to $1500 or so on speakers, and another ~$4-500 on a receiver. Considering the Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.1 setup, but I'm wondering--since I'll be listening at a more moderate apartment-friendly volume level, and given that I'm mostly looking to use the setup to watch sports and movies, will I notice a big difference between the MillenniaOne speakers ($1250+sub) and, say, a ~$3-400 5.1 speaker system (such as the Energy Take Classics, for instance)?

Thanks in advance for your input--I'm so glad a place like this exists!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think most people will appreciate the difference.

Taking your examples, the Energy system is a good little system, and you could be pretty happy with it, but the M1 are better. I think you'll notice a difference in overall clarity, especially when it comes to vocal clarity when watching movies, the Paradigm tweeter is just higher quality and have flatter, more accurate response that can be compared to a larger expensive speaker. As a result, you'll notice the M1s will just plain sound better with music, there is a certain thinness to the sound of the T5 even when well matched to a sub. Dynamically the M1 and T5 are both suited to a smaller space like yours, but the M1 won't sound as constricted at a room filling volume.

Unless you are ready strapped for cash, investing more upfront in the speaker system is always a wise thing to do. It's the one thing that you probably won't need to change out as the technology improves. I have had my speakers for years now and I've changed displays twice since then.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #3 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Man $1250 is a lot for such small speakers.

You might want to throw 5 NHT SuperZero 2.0 speakers into the mix @ $99 each. And then add the subwoofer of your choice.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772

Or two pair of Cambridge Audio s30 @ $219/pr
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS30

And add the matching center speaker
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS50

That's under $650 for 5 speakers and you'll still have $$ for a nice sub.

Afro GT
post #4 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Energy's need a lot of sub to fill the void. I have a set of encores from 2004 and without the sub, bass is non existent. The dialog can be stale as well from th center. You may want to go the direction of beefier bookshelves with a sub instead.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

That helps a lot--thanks, warpdrive.

You mention that I'd notice a difference in music, but I'm curious...would there be a noticeable difference when watching a football or basketball game?

(I ask because I've never had the chance to compare a basic vs. higher-quality 5.1 system when watching sports or tv)
post #6 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Man $1250 is a lot for such small speakers.

I should have also mentioned that (relatively) small size is a priority for me. I am aware that that preference can in some ways conflict with my goal for good sound quality for moderate-volume listening.

Anyways, about your reaction to the price point I've (rather arbitrarily) set...are you saying that for moderate-volume tv/movie 5.1 purposes in an apartment setting, $1250 is perhaps a bit much?
post #7 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I tend to pick up differences - the preference and choice is yours to decide.
The Paradigm is a solid option and the reviews have spoken.

This is for an option to consider.
Focal Sib
http://www.abt.com/product/48234/Focal-SIBCUB51JB.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTDC View Post

I should have also mentioned that (relatively) small size is a priority for me. I am aware that that preference can in some ways conflict with my goal for good sound quality for moderate-volume listening.

Anyways, about your reaction to the price point I've (rather arbitrarily) set...are you saying that for moderate-volume tv/movie 5.1 purposes in an apartment setting, $1250 is perhaps a bit much?

$1250 isn't a lot if they are quality speakers. I liked the encores over the original takes. Although I never heard the M1s, people do rave about them.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

That helps a lot--thanks, warpdrive.

You mention that I'd notice a difference in music, but I'm curious...would there be a noticeable difference when watching a football or basketball game?

(I ask because I've never had the chance to compare a basic vs. higher-quality 5.1 system when watching sports or tv)

I think the difference would be much less profound with sports or just general tv watching.

I have the M1's and I chose them because I wanted the best micro-satellites I could find. The M1's are designed with that goal, they use the same tweeter drivers that Paradigm uses in their $800-2500 speakers, and they are designed to look good without giving up any sound quality. The difference between these and other satellites is their linearity, they sound accurate in the midrange, which a lot of satellites fall short of. This is heard as just more convincing sounding vocals, and spoken dialogue will be,on a whole, more clear and intelligible. To make another comparison, the M1's are still far more accurate sounding than something like the Superzero's mentioned above.

Like all things, there will be diminishing returns, but at the same time, I think the M1s will be something that you should never need to upgrade from unless you move to a much larger space and you need something that can play louder.

It's all relative, for *my* tv watching, my speakers are $1000 a pair, and I upgraded from speakers that were $500 a pair, and I appreciated the difference it made. Unlike some people on this forum, my budget is still rather limited, but I still like to invest in quality equipment when I know I will get good use of it.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #10 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Unlike some people on this forum, my budget is still rather limited, but I still like to invest in quality equipment when I know I will get good use of it.

And that, I presume, is what makes you a Class A Oxygen-Free Gold Plated AVS Member?

On a serious note, thanks for your detailed responses. It is helpful to hear your take especially since you own the M1s.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

No, what I was thinking is that you can get larger speakers for $1250, like regular bookshelf speakers. But if you have size limitations then maybe the Millennia One is the best choice.

Afro GT
post #12 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Small size, yet filling sound for HT, games. Seems like a good candidate for definitive technology speakers.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This might be an option...

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

Jeff
post #14 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How about the infinity primus 162 you can find them for around $85 a pop and they get great reviews! Although they are discontinued they are still available.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The biggest mistake people make when starting out is to buy a system with inadequate front speakers that don't have ANY mid-bass and inadequate overall output. Even a small room is too big for itty-bitty front speakers like those in most speaker "sets", including the Paradigm MilleniaOne. The front speakers are too small, the subwoofer is totally inadequate to produce any real bass without distorting, and the whole setup is incredibly overpriced. It is not going to sound very good at any volume level.

My suggestion;

Four of the PSB Image B4 speakers for the front and rear ($650 total), the Image C4 center speaker ($299), and the Polk PSW505 subwoofer ($300).

This system will give some some real hi-quality sound; FAR better IMO than than anything I have seen suggested here so far. It will cost $1250 and is twice the system of the Millenium.

Quote:

My setup:
I live in an 875 sq-ft 1-bedroom apartment. Building is a solidly-constructed high-rise apartment, has 'sound-reducing' panels in the walls between units. TV is a Sony 55HX929, in a 16x10' living room that has wall-to-wall carpeting.

My problem (or, well, let's call it an opportunity!):
I currently have no receiver or speakers, so I'm on the hunt for some. Will largely be used for watching sports on TV, movies and TV shows. Will rarely be used for music.

Advice I'm seeking from the AVS-forum brain trust:
I'm willing to spend up to $1500 or so on speakers, and another ~$4-500 on a receiver. Considering the Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.1 setup, but I'm wondering--since I'll be listening at a more moderate apartment-friendly volume level, and given that I'm mostly looking to use the setup to watch sports and movies, will I notice a big difference between the MillenniaOne speakers ($1250+sub) and, say, a ~$3-400 5.1 speaker system (such as the Energy Take Classics, for instance)?

Thanks in advance for your input--I'm so glad a place like this exists!

post #16 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I think the $1k home theater in a box systems and the speakers like the Paradigm system have really improved and some of them have become very comparable to what you can put together by buying individual pieces.

Having said that, I have not heard the Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.1 setup so I do not know how it compares to Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000's and a subwoofer.
I don't own them but I have listened to the DefTech speakers many times and I think they are pretty salty for small designer friendly speakers.
A 5 channel set is in the same price ballpark as the Paradigm speakers, but with a sub (which is needed) they would cost a little more.

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec.../dp/B000V41XII

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...223457-9514347

A couple of subs that are generally highly regarded that don't break the bank are.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
The Polk 505 sub is budget friendly and generally gets good reviews too.
For low to moderate listening levels any of these will probably get the job done.

Regards,
Charlie

post #17 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Liked: 148
There is a review of the MilleniumOne by a forum member who owns them...do a search for it. I was seriously looking to use them as my surrounds and front heights until I realized I needed eight speakers. At $250 a speaker it is $2000 and I just did not have that kind of money for just surrounds.

The reviewer LOVES the MilleniumOne, so I think you will to.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let me repeat myself infinity primus 162,very good sound in my opinion!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page