In Wall Speaker Suggestion Niles IW 2550 LCR or Cambridge ws 30's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

im currently building a new house and looking to do something with HT in our media room. I currently have the following set up

Polk Audio RT10 ( L/R)
Polk Audio Center
Missions M7ds

Powered by a Marantz sr 770 + DP 870

The new house is 5m x 5m square room. Entry from the middle of the left hand side.

Windows on the right hand side, with the front and being large long walls.

Attached is a house plan, he media room is the square room with double doors entering into it. In US sizing i think this is 16.5 foot x 16.5 foot. speaker positions would also be appreciated.

Im looking at trying to reduce the number of visible speakers and was looking at a set of Nile IW 2550 LCR to replace my fronts LCR, and Nile IW650FX for the rears.

My local store has sugggested Cambridge WS30's ( 6 - 3 front 3 or 4 rear).

Im wondering if anyone has any opinion on these in wall units or on wall units based on the current gear i have which they will replace.

Any comments would be greately appreciated, the Niles units i can get at a very good price as they were a demo set.

Hopefully someone has some opinions to share.

P.S this is my first post on the forums, i have read ALOT especially for tv reviews and comments, a most useful site..
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
What is your budget?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have the niles iw770fx and have been impressed with their audio performance even though I have not yet actually installed them in the wall. I assume the 650s performance would be pretty similar. You can find the 650s for under $300 NIB and the 770s for under $400 NIB. PM me if you need the source.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Budget is difficult as I'm in new Zealand not US. Right now the price and exchange rates, I'm looking around 1200 USD for all speakers (OCR, and 2 rears). If I was buying outside of NZ (which I'm happy to do if the seller would ship) then that 1200 would still be my top price and would need to include shipping. I'm not against a used quality set either.

Right now if I buy locally I only have the models listed above to select from which is why I was particularly keen on feedback on those.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

I have the niles iw770fx and have been impressed with their audio performance even though I have not yet actually installed them in the wall. I assume the 650s performance would be pretty similar. You can find the 650s for under $300 NIB and the 770s for under $400 NIB from. PM me if you need the source.

Hi Dave, I'll send you a pm, the store I was going to demo the 650 at said out of the wall they don't sound too great, but in wall are much better, so it interesting to hear your comments, are you comparing these to other non in wall surrounds you have had before.?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhaboobi View Post

Hi Dave, I'll send you a pm, the store I was going to demo the 650 at said out of the wall they don't sound too great, but in wall are much better, so it interesting to hear your comments, are you comparing these to other non in wall surrounds you have had before.?

Their comment doesn't make much sense to me as the 650s are fully enclosed speakers and should sound pretty similar in and out of the wall. Bass may be a little better installed due to the wall boundary.

Also those niles are dipole/bipole selectable so they are very flexible.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

No one else have any comments on these? i see a few people have used these in their builds, and would really love some feedback especially around their suitability of replacing my floor standers.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any in-wall speaker will replace your floor standing speakers. But you need to look at the whole set up. L/C/R inwalls would not compete with a L/R floor standers + centre set up alone at that price point. Add in some capable subwoofers (2-4) set up correctly and then it becomes more equal.
Iv'e used Polk RTS inwalls, Def Tech RLS inwalls both with sealed back boxes with some very capable subs (2 x 18" 2500wattts) crossed at 80-100hz with very good results.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra View Post

Any in-wall speaker will replace your floor standing speakers. But you need to look at the whole set up. L/C/R inwalls would not compete with a L/R floor standers + centre set up alone at that price point. Add in some capable subwoofers (2-4) set up correctly and then it becomes more equal.
Iv'e used Polk RTS inwalls, Def Tech RLS inwalls both with sealed back boxes with some very capable subs (2 x 18" 2500wattts) crossed at 80-100hz with very good results.

Ok thanks for that feedback, i accept some subs will be required with the in walls, ( not sure i need 4 )... The niles units seem like a decent option given they are enclosed units, and my Polks are around 15 years old, i would have thought some improvements in speaker technology would see the inwalls gaining similar performance to the specific polks i have or the mission m7ds units in the rears.. perhaps thats not the case..
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page