Question about multiple mid-range drivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wondering if having multiple drivers (MDM) on a bookshelf speaker is going to improve the overall sound of my room or possibly make it worse. My system in a medium size triangular room (15x20x25) and the closest speaker is about 5 feet from the listening position. I have a Polk CS1 center, rti 28 L/R bookshelves, and two pairs of terrible insignia bookshelves for the surrounds.
I don't know if I should go for two Polk monitor 30s for the front and some Polk OWM3s for the surrounds or monitor 40s for the front and OWM5 for the back (or possibly another combo? 40s/OWM3?). My main goal is to play music and have it sound great throughout the entire room when I have people over for parties. Also I have a subwoofer so bass response is not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
The Monitor 40 is a much better speaker than the Monitor 30. Go with the 40 for your fronts. They don't cost much more especially when on sale.

Use Monitor 30's or OWM 3 or 5 for your rear surrounds and the RTi28 for your side surrounds. Leave the Insignias out of the mix.

Afro GT
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!

But why are the 40s SOOO much better (besides lower frequency response). Are having owm3 speakers going to match the monitor 40 as well as the owm5? Anyone wanna throw some physics at me?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I would get the Monitor 40 speakers for the front and use the Rti28s to replace the Insignia speakers. The Monitor 40 speakers will do a much better job in that rather large room. Note that the Monitor 40s are rated to operate up to 250 watts of power and the Rti28 are only rated up to 125 watts.

The larger speakers can put out greater power with lower distortion; two 5" drivers in a larger enclosure move more air much more efficiently than one, in general.

Also, the Rti28 speakers are really only fully effective down to about 70 Hz; Front speakers for a room like you have really should be able to go down to around 50 Hz for proper multi-channel mid-bass sound, and the Monitor 40 speakers will do that. When you say that bass response is not an issue you are 100% wrong.

Remember that a subwoofer is MONAURAL, and is no substitute for having front speakers that go fairly low and using them fully. The subwoofer is there ONLY to produce the lowest frequencies that your front speakers CAN NOT put out. Why have 5 speakers and then allow a significant part of the sound to be monaural when it should be stereo? How much sense does that make?

I think that you will find that the Monitor 40s will be a great improvement, and that the bass they put out will be make the sound much better in the room. Having the larger front speakers to produce that critical mid-bass from 50 to 70 Hz will be a huge improvement in the way your system sounds IMO. I have seen this kind of change totally transform a system over and over. Front speakers that are too small are a big problem that too often goes unrecognized, and it is certainly the problem in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox305 View Post

I am wondering if having multiple drivers (MDM) on a bookshelf speaker is going to improve the overall sound of my room or possibly make it worse. My system in a medium size triangular room (15x20x25) and the closest speaker is about 5 feet from the listening position. I have a Polk CS1 center, rti 28 L/R bookshelves, and two pairs of terrible insignia bookshelves for the surrounds.
I don't know if I should go for two Polk monitor 30s for the front and some Polk OWM3s for the surrounds or monitor 40s for the front and OWM5 for the back (or possibly another combo? 40s/OWM3?). My main goal is to play music and have it sound great throughout the entire room when I have people over for parties. Also I have a subwoofer so bass response is not an issue.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that detailed description now I am excited about the monitor 40s. I found a pair on craigslist new for $100.

Now I have a pioneer vsx-921 and I am running a 7.1 setup. Should I go for OWM3s for the Surrounds and Surround back or use the rti-28 for all four surrounds. The OWM series was designed by polk to blend perfectly with the monitor/tsi series and might sound better. Also I am not sure I have space to mount the rti-28s but if they will really make the system alot better than OWM I will try.

Also I realize that the subwoofer is not stereo which is why I was going to try to put together a 7.2 setup
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Check your receiver manual and see if it allows you to set per speaker crossover or one setting for all. If the latter, then note the OWM3s are rated down to 80hz. It's possible that they'll really need a little bit higher crossover than that just for them, essentially limiting the entire setup. In that situation, the Rti28s make more sense. You should be able to set the crossover at 80hz for all your speakers with them as the rears.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

My receiver does not have adjustable crossovers for individual speakers. I could get an equalizer but usually you should set your crossover at 70% below your speakers minimum value. My rears right now (crappy insignias) only go down to 150Hz so the OWM3 should be a big improvement. OR I could go for the OWM 5s which go down to 60Hz but they are twice as much so I don't think its worth it.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page