Made the leap..Thanks to all of you! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CtrlAltElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me first say, thanks for all the feedback and help with looking for a starter home audio system. Listened to a ton of manufactures in the last 3 days. People are not lying when they say "listen to them" before you buy. Today I spend 4 hours in my local HT store and left very satisfied. Listened to speakers from, Polk & Klipsch (two different HT shops) to Monitor, B&W, KEF and everything in between. Different music, Metallica, GnR & Adele, than scenes from Fantastic Four and Tron. What a difference in sound between all those Brands. All very good but one set blew me away. Here is what I settled on.

Fronts: Paradigm Mini Monitors (sound was simply amazing)
Center: Paradigm Cinema 400, (needed something slim-depth wise, to fit a on fireplace mantle) would have liked to go with full size center but didn't have the space.
Sub: Paradigm PDR-100 (only part im worried about. Sounded good, but not sure it has enough to fill my 15x20 room)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SVX-40 (didn't have budget for Yamaha Advantage or Marantz)

Everything cost around $1500. Could have saved some probably by ordering some stuff online, but CS was excellent and its super close. Nice to have local people who care.
CtrlAltElite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
mannoiaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

Let me first say, thanks for all the feedback and help with looking for a starter home audio system. Listened to a ton of manufactures in the last 3 days. People are not lying when they say "listen to them" before you buy. Today I spend 4 hours in my local HT store and left very satisfied. Listened to speakers from, Polk & Klipsch (two different HT shops) to Monitor, B&W, KEF and everything in between. Different music, Metallica, GnR & Adele, than scenes from Fantastic Four and Tron. What a difference in sound between all those Brands. All very good but one set blew me away. Here is what I settled on.

Fronts: Paradigm Mini Monitors (sound was simply amazing)
Center: Paradigm Cinema 400, (needed something slim-depth wise, to fit a on fireplace mantle) would have liked to go with full size center but didn't have the space.
Sub: Paradigm PDR-100 (only part im worried about. Sounded good, but not sure it has enough to fill my 15x20 room)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SVX-40 (didn't have budget for Yamaha Advantage or Marantz)

Everything cost around $1500. Could have saved some probably by ordering some stuff online, but CS was excellent and its super close. Nice to have local people who care.

Looks good, my only concern is the same as yours... that subwoofer. If you could return that piece and get an ID subwoofer, I think you'd be super happy with the setup.
mannoiaj is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The sub does not have to be from the same speaker line to match, so yes you could get better value by taking it back and getting an ID sub.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
Jay1 is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CtrlAltElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmm. That sucks. Let me ask this: Are there better subs on amazon or newegg that are better for the price or slightly higher in price? I haven't picked the sub up yet, so I don't have to take it.
CtrlAltElite is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
mannoiaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

hmm. That sucks. Let me ask this: Are there better subs on amazon or newegg that are better for the price or slightly higher in price? I haven't picked the sub up yet, so I don't have to take it.

What are you paying for that subwoofer?
mannoiaj is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

hmm. That sucks. Let me ask this: Are there better subs on amazon or newegg that are better for the price or slightly higher in price? I haven't picked the sub up yet, so I don't have to take it.

Is there a reason you dont want to buy from an ID brand?
Jay1 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CtrlAltElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was built in a package format and discounted. Breakdown was I believe $375 for the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Is there a reason you dont want to buy from an ID brand?

Not specifically, other than the fact I like to read the reviews on certain things. Going to a website to purchase something with nothing else to go on other than someones word, is iffy.
CtrlAltElite is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
ingramba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas, East of the Pecos!
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ctrl, I was in same boat as you. These guys talked me out of a store sub and into buying ID. I now have a SVS PB12-NSD and could not be happier! Got it last Thursday after only a 3 day wait. There are so many ID options that will complement your new system. Good Luck and Happy Sub Hunting!
ingramba is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

It was built in a package format and discounted. Breakdown was I believe $375 for the sub.

Not specifically, other than the fact I like to read the reviews on certain things. Going to a website to purchase something with nothing else to go on other than someones word, is iffy.

Nothing wrong with the id subs. Check the sub section to see user reviews

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
mannoiaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd back out of the sub purchase. It's 120 watt amplifier with a 10 inch driver. It's not going to have much output. It probably cost Paradigm ~$100 to make.

You've done great so far, listening to speakers before you purchase. With a sub, listening isn't so important. Actual performance and specs are. Get a 12" ported subwoofer with a bit more amp and output to the low 20's in hz.
mannoiaj is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I don't think you would have done a lot better for the price. Depends on how musical the Paradigm PDR-100 is. There are certainly good HT 12" subs for that price that will greatly exceed the volume output of your sub. But you probably could have gotten something close to equivalent in a 10" sub for a little bit less money.

The big benefit would have been spending more for the Rythmik FV12 or the Epik Legend. Definitely much better choices for your room size and for HT usage.

cel4145 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

It was built in a package format and discounted. Breakdown was I believe $375 for the sub.



Not specifically, other than the fact I like to read the reviews on certain things. Going to a website to purchase something with nothing else to go on other than someones word, is iffy.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/18...er-test-review


You need to up your budget about $200 to step up the performance.
Jay1 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
mannoiaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't think you would have done a lot better for the price. Depends on how musical the Paradigm PDR-100 is. There are certainly good HT 12" subs for that price that will greatly exceed the volume output of your sub. But you probably could have gotten something close to equivalent in a 10" sub for a little bit less money.

The big benefit would have been spending more for the Rythmik FV12 or the Epik Legend. Definitely much better choices for your room size and for HT usage.

I disagree. I believe one could do MUCH better for the price than the paradigm for all listening endeavors. Subs aren't just musical or for HT...
mannoiaj is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

I disagree. I believe one could do MUCH better for the price than the paradigm for all listening endeavors. Subs aren't just musical or for HT...

So why didn't you suggest any? It's likely that the Energy S10.3 is better in SPL and low frequency range, but without knowing anything about how the PDR-100 would compare on SQ, I wouldn't suggest he take it back and lose the discount on the setup for the difference. There are better 12" subs for HT use, but he's liking how his setup sounds for music. No guarantee that something like the BIC PL-200 would sound better. What do you suggest specifically (not just get another sub) without knowing how that sub sounds and the discount he's getting on the package?

cel4145 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CtrlAltElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

I disagree. I believe one could do MUCH better for the price than the paradigm for all listening endeavors. Subs aren't just musical or for HT...

well I appreciate your thoughts. I would have thought the same thing. But with the amount of time listening, they sounded the best with the budget I had for the music I listen to. I actually brought in cd's of the music I listen two and compared that way.
CtrlAltElite is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Member
 
haargerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pretty sure I'm about to pick some some Mini Monitor's tomorrow as well. Still struggling between them or the Atom's. The Atom's would make for great surrounds later down the line..
haargerman is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CtrlAltElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by haargerman View Post

Pretty sure I'm about to pick some some Mini Monitor's tomorrow as well. Still struggling between them or the Atom's. The Atom's would make for great surrounds later down the line..

I actually liked the Atoms a fraction more. But I have a 15x20 room with a staircase leading up, a opening to the dining room and a large opening leading to the hallway. Thats why I went with the Larger Mini's, which aren't really that mini. Both were fantastic though.
CtrlAltElite is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pronghorn/az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You did well on your purchase. This is hard to make a decision to spend your money. But I have to agree with the others here. Even if you lose the package deal, your money will be better spent on an ID sub. Your call, your money. But you will get more oompf for your money with most ID companys.

Jeff
pronghorn/az is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off