Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
EJ
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After following a thread "biggest myths in audio..." I wrote that I remember reading a post about how , using wood outlet covers, and then staining and sanding the face could affect the sound.

After much searching, I found it in the archives...here ya go...

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hlight=sanding

Former USSB uplink operator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Liked: 17
Looks interesting, ill have to try it.

There was another one i found out about a while back where if one drops a 20lb bowling ball on their head it makes the skull resonate in such a way as to permanently increase the sense of sound. High's become more airy and you can hear things you never could before.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Oh my.

Quote:
Have you experienced (or experimented with) the difference in sound of between various manufacturers' electrical outlets? There is a difference in sound (and picture quality) even within any given manufacturer's line of outlets. So, the wooden outlet face plate's resonance will affect the outlet's sound because the two are mechanically connected and the outlet's resonance will affect the plug's resonance characteristics and so on down the audio/video chain.

Oh my!

*Note to self: tomorrow morning provide a donation to Planned Parenthood.

post #4 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
EJ
AVS Special Member

After not finding the post for years, I started to think I had dreamed the whole story, it was a running joke at the television station where I worked. Someone would have a problem with equipment. The first question was, "did you varnish the outlet cover?"

Anyway, I was happy to discover that I'm not crazy.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw your mention of this post in the myths thread, glad you found it!

This is a fun and fascinating hobby, the partnership between science and personal preference allows us the satisfaction of creating our own environment, every one of them unique. This is a common theme with most hobbies, but what sets this one apart from the rest is the acceptance of theories that are a head on collision between science and psychology. I read these bizarre theories and the passion behind them is admirable, but I do pity the type. Like Wile-e-Coyote I really want these folks to succeed, yet know their approach has so little common sense associated with it the roadrunner will once again leave them in a dust cloud of foolishness.

It makes for great reading though!

One guy got it right - there is no spoon.

post #6 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasteru View Post

Looks interesting, ill have to try it.

There was another one i found out about a while back where if one drops a 20lb bowling ball on their head it makes the skull resonate in such a way as to permanently increase the sense of sound. High's become more airy and you can hear things you never could before.

I have heard the same effects can be had by choking
post #7 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Perhaps PT Barnum was right after all...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Perhaps PT Barnum was right after all...

There's no perhaps about it. He's the patron saint of the high end cable industry.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

..If you've studied physics, then you know that everything in the universe is connected, everything vibrates and that everything affects everything else. Likewise, in your listening or viewing room, everything in the room will affect the sound/video in the room....

Since everything is connected and affects the sound, then I need to find out what kind/brand of underwear I should be wearing when listening. Will boxers give a more "open" sound than briefs?

Any suggestions?

post #10 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
EJ, thanks for finding it. Everyone...thanks for the smiles. I'm on my way to buy tubing so I can hook up the exhaust of my 8 cyl. to the back of my subwoofer and turbo-inject mass volumes of air into it thereby circumventing the need for a large box solution.
post #11 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Issue with the V8 is the noise factor, not sure how much dampening you might require for it to work. Interesting idea though.
Just further thinking on the v8 exhaust idea. Have you worked through the jitter your 8 cylinders would introduce? I would think any connection you use would require cryogenic treated metals. I would like to also suggest cryogenically treating the cylinders, cylinder walls and see if it makes a difference.

No mention on the types of wood tried.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #12 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
DIY is fun if you're retired and has nothing better to do than to make your system prettier...
post #13 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Good point Dr_Mark. So, what I'll do is get a really long tube and run it from the garage to the HT room. I'll get my kid an iPad to go with mine. Put him behind the wheel and using Facetime I'll let him knoiw when to jam down on the accelerator. Pay him $10 for his efforts and voila! Great bass out of the Supercube 1 I'll buy.

When you think about it...who needs a big ugly box and that intrusive bass all of the time.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Glashub, there has to be an ap for that.

post #15 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Issue with the V8 is the noise factor, not sure how much dampening you might require for it to work. Interesting idea though.
Just further thinking on the v8 exhaust idea. Have you worked through the jitter your 8 cylinders would introduce? I would think any connection you use would require cryogenic treated metals. I would like to also suggest cryogenically treating the cylinders, cylinder walls and see if it makes a difference.

No mention on the types of wood tried.

Pshh everyone knows you have to have a diesel to make it sound best...

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #16 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Since everything is connected and affects the sound, then I need to find out what kind/brand of underwear I should be wearing when listening. Will boxers give a more "open" sound than briefs?

Any suggestions?

With the everything-is-connected theory, should we even be in the same room as speakers when we listen?

I guess it depends on the amount of clearcoat we've applied to ourselves

post #17 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Liked: 11
"Awww, come on guys, it's so simple! Maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays."

sorry, seemed like an appropriate moment for a "Fletch" quote.

Chimpuat

post #18 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I'm sitting in a hotel room reading this and I couldn't figure out why the 1/4 inch tweeter and 1 inch woofer on the tv speakers were so revealing with a frontstage that is beyond comprehension. The way the "bass" intertwine with the highs, seemless. Then, I realised what it was.

I hope they don't need their outlet face plates, 'cause they're coming home.
post #19 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM

Liked: 32
I also hear that if you take your bike up to the top of a high hill and wear your mom's favorite bath towel, and your dad's shop glasses, along with painting flames on your bike, you can break the sound barrier when hauling butt down said hill.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

A very real problem for the over 40 crowd - ear hair resonance. After clipping and 7 applications of clearcoat I'm very pleased with my setup! The clearcoat may have added a reflection point though, I'll be experimenting with tiny absorption panels this weekend, so stay tuned.

You wouldn't believe the difference this makes! Or maybe you would.

post #21 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

I also hear that if you take your bike up to the top of a high hill and wear your mom's favorite bath towel, and your dad's shop glasses, along with painting flames on your bike, you can break the sound barrier when hauling butt down said hill.

Gee, thanks for making me look like an idiot! Everyone was pointing and laughing and I barely hit 45mph!

post #22 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

Gee, thanks for making me look like an idiot! Everyone was pointing and laughing and I barely hit 45mph!

That's because the towel came off and you lost all your aerodynamics...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #23 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 AM

I can't believe how much effort, and how much money can be spent on sound absorption. For the ultimate in room treatment, head over to your local landscaping retailer and pick up a few bushels of straw and some landscape netting. Use the netting to keep the straw in place on your ceiling, walls, and floor.

C'mon, clear coat and stain for outlet covers? Ridiculous! Everyone should have the common sense to realize that linseed oil is the most advantageous.
post #24 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 AM

No need to get wood. Save your money... The old-timers DIY trick is to wax the existing outlet covers then buff to polish Looks like clear coat but acts as a buffer to dampen vibration patterns. - You can apply as many coats as needed with noted improvements after each application and is safe on all areas of your gear
post #25 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

This is what I hate about these Forums. An obviously sincere, nice guy like Jim Bookhard (he studied Physics) posts an out of the box idea and all you can do is mock and belittle him.

Very sad ... and you should all be ashamed.

You are right to an extent, I don't believe our intention was to mock and belittle him though. It's the idea of the outlet cover that seems way out there. Perhaps every little idea does add up.

I recall inquiring whether or not the back of a speaker box being slightly recessed from its sides, top, and bottom could cause unnecessary resonance. The answers I received were no, and not enough to tell a difference. I feel an outlet cover would fall into that category.
post #26 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

"existing outlet covers then buff to polish" lol

Plastic/metal does not resonate as well as certain woods. Where do you think the sound comes from anyway ROFL... you one of "those" who think sounds comes from speakers? Everyone know all of "those" sound the same. The true elitest understands that exotic woods and oils really make the room sound perfect.

post #27 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.21JiggaWatts View Post

You are right to an extent, I don't believe our intention was to mock and belittle him though. It's the idea of the outlet cover that seems way out there. Perhaps every little idea does add up.

I recall inquiring whether or not the back of a speaker box being slightly recessed from its sides, top, and bottom could cause unnecessary resonance. The answers I received were no, and not enough to tell a difference. I feel an outlet cover would fall into that category.

No, I wasn't right ... I was being sarcastic but now that you mention it, I think I'll run to Home Depot and pick up some plain wood outlet covers and give it a go.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #28 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

No, I wasn't right ... I was being sarcastic but now that you mention it, I think I'll run to Home Depot and pick up some plain wood outlet covers and give it a go.

It won't do you any good unless you send them to me for a bit of woodworking magic. For the low, low price of just $249.99* I'll cut the appropriate Resonant Fluting®©, pat. pend, for your application.

*$49.99 additional if your subwoofer plays below 16 Hz

post #29 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

It won't do you any good unless you send them to me for a bit of woodworking magic. For the low, low price of just $249.99* I'll cut the appropriate Resonant Fluting®©, pat. pend, for your application.

*$49.99 additional if your subwoofer plays below 16 Hz

Is that each? Seems kinda cheap. Mapleshade charges $1000 ea but they come with a money back guarantee (less 20% restock fee).

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #30 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Is that each? Seems kinda cheap. Mapleshade charges $1000 ea but they come with a money back guarantee (less 20% restock fee).

That's per single-gang outlet. Double-gangs naturally incur a slight $84.99 surcharge.

This is such a bargain you really can't afford not to do it. How can your sound system be truly transparent when you don't have the right seven-dimensional electron focusing afforded by our special process?

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page