Polk Monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Have been hanging on the subwoofer forum or a while now and have been extremely satisfied with that end of my system. That being said I'd like some help optimizing my other 5 speakers. As of now I am running off a Yamaha RXV-671, two Polk Monitor 60's for FR and FL, a CS2 center and Monitor 40's for rear surround. I also have an Outlaw Plus and Outlaw EX connected using a Y splitter to my AvR. My room is large as it opens up to my kitchen (4300 cu ft). Any thoughts on steps to take calibrate my other 5 speakers? Not liking the results YPAO are putting out at all. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
YPAO sets my subs distance about 3 times further then they really are, which I manually adjusted. What are you not liking about your results?
post #3 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

YPAO sets my subs distance about 3 times further then they really are, which I manually adjusted. What are you not liking about your results?

I never relied on what YPAO said for my subs, I always have adjusted them manually, and am still waiting on the chance to set one of them up near field. More in reference to the Polk's. I've manually played around a bit, just wanted some advice on what everyone else does to "dial" their speakers in. Figured I'd ask about that over here since i am still pretty new to HT (this is my first outside of an HTIB), and found info in the sub forums pretty valuable.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you post a pic of what the front end of your setup looks like? It might be easier to make suggestions if we know what you're dealing with. Your post isn't describing anything about your setup. All I would guess is maybe you're running out of headroom with your speaker/AVR combo in a large room with high output subs?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you post a pic of what the front end of your setup looks like? It might be easier to make suggestions if we know what you're dealing with. Your post isn't describing anything about your setup. All I would guess is maybe you're running out of headroom with your speaker/AVR combo in a large room with high output subs?

Not sure how I post a pic. Never posted a picture before.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have pictures on your computer, you can click on the little paper clip "attachments" (cant do it from quick post, has to be advanced) and upload the pics to AVS.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you have pictures on your computer, you can click on the little paper clip "attachments" (cant do it from quick post, has to be advanced) and upload the pics to AVS.

I use my phone for AVS, no computer. Can I describe it to you? Let me know what info you need. Thanks.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

I use my phone for AVS, no computer. Can I describe it to you? Let me know what info you need. Thanks.

The more info about your setup, and how everything is placed the better.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The more info about your setup, and how everything is placed the better.

Speakers:
Polk Monitor 60s for FR and FL
Polk Monitor CS2 for center
Polk Monitor 30s for surround

Yamaha RXV 671 AVR

Outlaw Audio LFM1 Plus
Outlaw Audio LFM1 EX

Outlaws are connected via Y splitter to Yamaha.

Polk's are biamped. Everyone seems to say this does nothing but I beg to differ. It sounds much different switching back and forth between that and 7.1 enabled.

My LP is about 11 ft away from my front 3. The center channel aligns with my LP. My other fronts sit about 3-4 feet away from my center on either side. My Plus (which was my original sub) sits in the front right corner about another 3-4 feet away from my FR. I did a sub crawl and this was the best position. My EX is sitting between my center and my FL. It's right up next to the FL because of my TV stand. That is not permanent position, I just have not had time to do another sub crawl. All that being said, I do have an open floor plan. My living room opens to my kitchen. All in all about 4300 cu ft. I just recently bought the EX, someone over on the sub forums was coming off of it for a price I couldn't pass up. Not to mention he was in pick up distance.

I am just completely dissatisfied with the results YPAO has come up with. I can manually tweak things like gain and frequency and Q (whatever that is) and am looking to do so free of YPAO.

Like I said, I found on the sub forum to disregard whatever YPAO or Audessey for that matter came up with for your subs and to tweak them manually. I am looking for a bit of direction with my other 5 at this point. Thanks for any input you may have.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Speakers:
Polk Monitor 60s for FR and FL
Polk Monitor CS2 for center
Polk Monitor 30s for surround

Yamaha RXV 671 AVR

Outlaw Audio LFM1 Plus
Outlaw Audio LFM1 EX

Outlaws are connected via Y splitter to Yamaha.

Polk's are biamped. Everyone seems to say this does nothing but I beg to differ. It sounds much different switching back and forth between that and 7.1 enabled.

My LP is about 11 ft away from my front 3. The center channel aligns with my LP. My other fronts sit about 3-4 feet away from my center on either side. My Plus (which was my original sub) sits in the front right corner about another 3-4 feet away from my FR. I did a sub crawl and this was the best position. My EX is sitting between my center and my FL. It's right up next to the FL because of my TV stand. That is not permanent position, I just have not had time to do another sub crawl. All that being said, I do have an open floor plan. My living room opens to my kitchen. All in all about 4300 cu ft. I just recently bought the EX, someone over on the sub forums was coming off of it for a price I couldn't pass up. Not to mention he was in pick up distance.

I am just completely dissatisfied with the results YPAO has come up with. I can manually tweak things like gain and frequency and Q (whatever that is) and am looking to do so free of YPAO.

Like I said, I found on the sub forum to disregard whatever YPAO or Audessey for that matter came up with for your subs and to tweak them manually. I am looking for a bit of direction with my other 5 at this point. Thanks for any input you may have.

Interesting, I heard the opposite on the sub forum. Because bass waves take longer to travel, usually audyssey will set the sub farther that what it really is. For example, my sub is around 10 ft away and audyssey set it to 15.8 if I remember right.
Wanting to see the difference, doing a manual tweak and adjusting the sub to the 'real' distance it was away from me, resulted in much thinner bass response where the LP is, about 1-2ft from the wall. Setting the distance farther made it bloated and boomy. In my case, audysseys sub distance setting is spot on. I think only in rare cases are you supposed to set it yourself. The same with the mains, because AVR calibrations do their settings do to reflections/travel times.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

How far away from walls (behind the speakers and to the sides) are the speakers? Are there cabinets/shelfs windows on the sides of the speakers? Are the speakers toed in or pointing straight ahead?
post #12 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Any thoughts on steps to take calibrate my other 5 speakers? Not liking the results YPAO are putting out at all.

Make sure the distances to each speaker is set as accurately as possible. Actually measure from where your ear would be to the face of the speaker and set that on the AVR. And use a dB meter to check the levels are all equal.

And also you could try turning YPAO's attempt at EQ off, by changing EQ from 'PEQ' to 'off'. I myself have never liked YPAO's PEQ as I found it to kill too much detail usually.

Just doing these few things could make a nice improvement.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page