Fireplace setup and I'm considering Ceiling speaks for all but Center or .. (pics!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone!

Please, I need all of your advice!

I have read a lot of people don't agree with using ceiling speakers for the Fronts. Surround is possibly fine.

Some people think it might sound weird for the center to be under the TV and the FLeft and FRight be in the ceiling.

Does anyone have any experience with the above setup?

I am going for a 5.1 setup.

This is what my fireplace looks like ..it's high off the ground. The center is a little over 4ft off the ground.

My other option is to place bookshelf speakers on the left and right of the center on the mantel. I'm just afraid that the distance is so short from the center that i won't get the full surround feel. Also, I will be sitting pretty far from the TV. picture below shows setup with bookshelf speakers.

Here is a "map"of my living space. The red circles are where I wanted I mount the ceiling speakers.

I was also considering using the tower speakers as my left and right below the fireplace mantel. Anyone know how safe or unsafe this would be? I was thinking about putting them in front of the fireplace mantel legs. It would be approximately 5.75 inches away from the fireplace opening. We plan on using the fireplace. Tower speakers won't fit next to the legs.

Picture of my tower speakers

Additional Info:
  • Ceiling Speakers are from Monoprice
  • My living room is small
  • I can't put speakers in wall due to a wide window on the left wall
  • I also have 2 JBL tower speakers and 4 JBL bookshelf speakers from over 10 years ago that I can use (However, I'm afraid having wires coming from the ceiling all the way down to the floor will look unsightly or having the bookshelfs hanging will look unsightly)

Equipment:
  • Monoprice ceiling speakers 4104
  • Receiver is Yamaha rx-v671
  • JBL bookshelves are N24
  • JBL Towers are Balboa 30
I already have the monoprice speakers on the way.. worst case scenario: I can return a pair or use them for a 7.1 setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Liked: 12
I recently spent $3000 on in-ceiling speakers from B&W. For the LCR I went with B&W 818 ($800 a piece) and B&W 684 ($450 a pair) for the rear. I also bought a Rel T9 sub for about $1100. All of this purchased at Magnolia (Best Buy).

I have no regrets on the sub. It is awesome. I have big regrets on going with in-ceiling for the LCR. The sound is excellent for in-ceiling, but the sound stage is projected down into the room and not across the room. I scored big points from the wife, but have been sorely disappointed with the sound stage.

I would highly recommend in-wall speakers on the wall of your TV (if you must hide the equipment) or go with bookshefl on stands for lower profile view or floorstanders if you can tolerate the looks. You will pay more (perhaps double at least) to have the same quality of sound from in-walls as you will from the bookshelf or floorstanders.

B&W speakers are expensive. For in wall you can also consider Atlantic Technology.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 374
If you are going in ceiling for the mains, I would wall mount the center above the TV, if you are planning on using your exist center speaker. If we can help you with selection, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Get a good quality SoundBar that spans just a bit wider than the TV. Why would you want sounds coming well outside the field of view anyway?

A good quality SB will make the sonic soundstage size matched with the visual soundstage.

Will be much better than in-ceilings a few feet outside the visual boundaries and much higher.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that it is important to keep the three front speakers in line with each other for obvious reasons. Try all three above the TV, because you say that your seating is far away from the front sound stage. Play a few scenes from one of your reference movies. Scenes where sounds move left to right and right to left. If it sounds convincing and not as if the sound is coming from the ceiling, your in business.
As for placing the three speakers close together, panning will remain more convincible then the center below and the left /right above the TV.

Espo77
post #6 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

...I love my equipment too much to even think about placing it anywhere near a fire!

Espo77
post #7 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice everyone!

A stroke of luck today. The delivery guys messed up and didn't send me my speakers. I was able to return them.

Now I just need to figure out how to level out my fronts

Thanks for all your advice!

I'll also look into sound bars but it's probably not in the current budget : )
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page