AVR 2112 w/ Polk Lsi15 - powerful enough? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got a chance to pick up these speakers via craigslist for a deal. will the AVR2112 drive these adequately with a decent sub?

TIA

Mad Dog, you ARE going to take the shortcut to the Interstate, aren't you?

We're here to win, ain't we? If you're gonna be a bear, BE A GRIZZLY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBTJ View Post

got a chance to pick up these speakers via craigslist for a deal. will the AVR2112 drive these adequately with a decent sub?

TIA

What's the price? You can get these new for under $1000pr nowadays. What other speakers do you have? It think it might do okay if the rest of your speakers arent 4 ohm
post #3 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
The Denon won't be up to the job, and your model does not have pre-outs for adding an external amp. The Denon is rated down to 6 ohm, and not 4 ohm. Further, the LSi's need to see at least a clean 200 wpc to come to life, and having them sharing power with other speakers off the Denon will be too much for the receiver to handle.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

The Denon won't be up to the job, and your model does not have pre-outs for adding an external amp. The Denon is rated down to 6 ohm, and not 4 ohm. Further, the LSi's need to see at least a clean 200 wpc to come to life, and having them sharing power with other speakers off the Denon will be too much for the receiver to handle.

Many receivers can handle a pair of 4 ohm speakers even if they're not rated for it. Manufacturers are scared of the rating. Many "8 ohm" speakers are also actually 4 ohm nominal if you look at the measured impedance, but manufacturers rate them as 8 ohm so people arent scared away by their receivers. You sure dont hear about all kinds of random receivers shutting down and going up in smoke though do you
post #5 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The Polks are a pretty heavy load, but as long as you are responsible with the volume levels and a well ventilated receiver you should be fine.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

What's the price? You can get these new for under $1000pr nowadays. What other speakers do you have? It think it might do okay if the rest of your speakers arent 4 ohm

Price is $550, local pickup.

i'd probably look at adding the matched center - too much for the receiver or no?

thanks

post #7 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Price is $550, local pickup.

i'd probably look at adding the matched center - too much for the receiver or no?

thanks

That might push things over the top, but you never know. You'd be kind of stuck though, so it might be better to spend your money on something else.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html
post #8 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

The Polks are a pretty heavy load, but as long as you are responsible with the volume levels and a well ventilated receiver you should be fine.

Having first-hand knowlege of these speakers when paired with a midline receiver, I have to disagree. Well ventilated or not, the combination the OP suggests is not going to work well at all. Given now that he is also thinking that he will add the LSiC to the mix, and you have set the stage for at best, a shortened lifespan for the Denon if he does not turn it up at all, and worse some dead LSi's and a toasted receiver.

The LSi's are a decent speaker, but they are among the most power hungry I have ever had in my rig.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I think you'd be short changing yourself running the LSi's with that receiver.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I agree, this receiver is not up to the task of powering Polk's LSi line. Those telling you it is are just shooting from the hip.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Having first-hand knowlege of these speakers when paired with a midline receiver, I have to disagree. Well ventilated or not, the combination the OP suggests is not going to work well at all. Given now that he is also thinking that he will add the LSiC to the mix, and you have set the stage for at best, a shortened lifespan for the Denon if he does not turn it up at all, and worse some dead LSi's and a toasted receiver.

The LSi's are a decent speaker, but they are among the most power hungry I have ever had in my rig.

I've powered hungrier speakers on even lower powered receivers
post #12 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Power output has nothing to do with it. If the manufacturer does not specify a rating of 4 ohms then it's a risk. Can you? Sure. Should you? Probably not.

post #13 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

I've powered hungrier speakers on even lower powered receivers

That is not the point. The op's receiver is not rated for them, and the LSi's demand far more power than the Denon can provide in order to sound their best. These speakers will push the Denon to the limits of it's ability, even at modest volumes. When the amp runs out of steam, clipping will occur, and that is bound to damage something.

I have been down this path with these speakers... it is not a good match.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That is not the point. The op's receiver is not rated for them, and the LSi's demand far more power than the Denon can provide in order to sound their best. These speakers will push the Denon to the limits of it's ability, even at modest volumes. When the amp runs out of steam, clipping will occur, and that is bound to damage something.

I have been down this path with these speakers... it is not a good match.

good advice, i think id rather go safe than try to blow things out... literally.

what speakers would you recommend with the AVR2112 that would be powerful enough to take advantage of its capabilities? i know, listening is best, but a couple suggestions would help narrow it down. budget of $800-$1000 total for speakers.

ascend, arx are two ive seen recco'd here. will be adding a sub. would prefer towers in the front; martin logan 10 and polk monitor 70s seem to be going for a decent discount given they are last yrs models.

thx

thx

post #15 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM

Polks newer RTiA line is very good, and would work well with your current receiver. I have had good luck with Energy and Klipsch as well...
post #16 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

good advice, i think id rather go safe than try to blow things out... literally.

what speakers would you recommend with the AVR2112 that would be powerful enough to take advantage of its capabilities? i know, listening is best, but a couple suggestions would help narrow it down. budget of $800-$1000 total for speakers.

ascend, arx are two ive seen recco'd here. will be adding a sub. would prefer towers in the front; martin logan 10 and polk monitor 70s seem to be going for a decent discount given they are last yrs models.

thx

thx

If you are going to use that receiver, you need to look at 8 ohm speakers and also want to make sure they don't have any crazy dips in ohms either.

There are a TON of speakers in the $800 - $1000 range. Best bet would be to go out and audition as many as you can.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page