New Speaker Search (under $10,000) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For this level of speaker I would go check out audiogon it is more focused towards that level. But don't be surprised if people recommend other brands a lot of what is on your list I don't like, the b&w are nice but I think they are a bit colored and less mitral than some but all depends on the room what you like and what you are driving them with.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
1, 3 and 8.

Not on your list, just for kicks:
Klipsch LaScala
Adam Audio Classic Column
Martin Logan Montis

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #33 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Not on your list, just for kicks:
Klipsch LaScala
Adam Audio Classic Column
Martin Logan Montis

Man, some people don't care for speakers not on their list! biggrin.gif

Some people are tired of it. biggrin.gif

You might offend them. biggrin.gif
post #34 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I said just for kicks...

tongue.gif

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #35 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Man, some people don't care for speakers not on their list! biggrin.gif

Some people are tired of it. biggrin.gif
You might offend them. biggrin.gif

LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

You are wrong in this case. The OP asked for advice on specific speakers. He was then told there are better speakers out there, that the speakers on his list are average and that he's close minded. The OP said he narrowed his choices down to those speakers.
This happens in every thread. And im tired of it. People need to get over themselves. You know what a poster said to somebody in a similar thread like this? Something about "im not going to help you until you choose better speakers than the ones you listed" Whoa! Im sorry other peoples taste doesn't live up to yours!

No one is forcing you to visit this forum, so... If you think about it, all these forums are is a pool of suggestions given by people as audition recommendations; no one's hand is being forced, and we don't get paid to go out and listen and then make recommendations. Technically, no one should be buying speakers based on a thread of suggestions; they should listen to everything that interests them and purchase based on that. Some people (myself included) made the OP aware that he could do better for the money, and at that time he didn't state why he had to stick with the originally mentioned speakers, hence other recommendations. Now that he clarified I think it makes more sense, and perhaps others can help him make a good decision. Although, he honestly shouldn't listen to anyone on the forums except to get audition suggestions. The ears should decide!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #36 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

I said just for kicks...
tongue.gif

I'm cool with it. cool.gif

I'm just looking out for you, man.

Some people want you to get over yourself. eek.gif

Some people might kick you back or something. biggrin.gif
post #37 of 59 Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Liked: 11
I am in Omaha, so I know about the audiophile desert you speak of. I have heard most of the speaker on your list. Never cared much for the B&W sound, classic "British sound." Monitor PL is a very good speaker. The speaker that always stood out for me was the Audio Physic Tempo 25, much better than the earlier Tempo. It had seemless cooperation throughout the frq. range. Bass is defined, tight, and authoritative. Of course for those who want bam bam bam...I tell them to go with cerwin-vega. The heart and soul of any speaker is the midrange, and the tempo 25's just kill. Detail and sonic righteousness are the best. But, you need good front end equipment to make them shine. I have limited my comments to you speakers. If I had $10,000, the Salk soundscapes are just unmatchable, you would have to spend maybe $50,000 to beat em, and at that point, the law of diminishing returns makes it a non starter.
post #38 of 59 Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguemodel View Post

I am in Omaha, so I know about the audiophile desert you speak of. I have heard most of the speaker on your list. Never cared much for the B&W sound, classic "British sound." Monitor PL is a very good speaker. The speaker that always stood out for me was the Audio Physic Tempo 25, much better than the earlier Tempo. It had seemless cooperation throughout the frq. range. Bass is defined, tight, and authoritative. Of course for those who want bam bam bam...I tell them to go with cerwin-vega. The heart and soul of any speaker is the midrange, and the tempo 25's just kill. Detail and sonic righteousness are the best. But, you need good front end equipment to make them shine. I have limited my comments to you speakers. If I had $10,000, the Salk soundscapes are just unmatchable, you would have to spend maybe $50,000 to beat em, and at that point, the law of diminishing returns makes it a non starter.

The soundscape 8's are too large for my space and being in Canada, the shipping would also be a fair bit. And I like my front end! biggrin.gif

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #39 of 59 Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

I am in the market for new speakers. I am in a location of the world where I can't easily audition many speakers so I have to rely on reviews and others for input.

My gear consists of:

Simaudio i7 amp;

Simaudio Supernova CD player;

Bryston BDA-1 DAC;

Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player;

Wadia 170i Dock;

Nordost Blue Heaven cables mostly.

I listen to a mix or rock, pop, folk and new age. Some, but very little country and jazz and never any metal or classical. Room size is roughly 12' x 25'.

I am looking for a tower speaker and have narrowed my search down to the following in no particular order:

1. Totem Element Earth;

2. Paradigm S6 v3;

3. Focal 1028BE;

4. B&W 804D;

5. Audio Physic Tempo 25;

6. Sonus Faber Liuto;

7. Verity Finn;

8. Monitor Audio PL200.

I am trying to keep below a budget of $10,000 and the lower the better. I believe the above noted speakers range in price from around $6000 Canadian to just over $9000 Canadian.

If anyone has had the opportunity to compare any of the above, your comments would be much appreciated. I am not looking for any speaker bashing as I believe they are all fine speakers, but no doubt shine above others within this group.

Thanks

PS. I already have S6's as part of my home theater system and like them, but if I can get better, I will. If the improvement in other speakers over the S6's is marginal at best, I may stick with another pair of the S6's.

That's some nice amps, I really do love how SimAudio Sounds and definitely very detailed and accurate.
You may want to consider Supercharged Salks with accuton drivers? I'm sure you can set something up with Salk.

Even if you spent 50k I still think its not very likely you will beat them in a normal room size.

Please consider speakers that are NOT on your list, those SimAudio amps deserve better.

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Energy RC-70[] Amplifier: Parasound A21[] Projector: Epson 5020ub [] Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Cabling: Speaker Cable: BlueJeansCable 10 AWG [] Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
post #40 of 59 Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Folks speak of amps as if they are like speakers. It's only a hobby. Nothing critical or serious. So that's cool. No need for heated debate. We can peacefully disagree. That's cool. But........

We all can see how every single speaker measures differently. So yes, we can see why they would sound differently. Their on-axis and especially off-axis responses vary so greatly.

But all these amps measure almost exactly the same. Their frequency responses are identical. 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.0dB or +/-0.1dB. Their distortions are like 0.01% or better. Their SNR are -110dB or better. Absolutely inaudible. There are also actual double-blinded studies where they perfectly level match the amps and people can't tell the difference.

Ah, yes, perfect level matching is paramount because amps will have different gain levels. Some are 34dB, 32dB, 30dB, 28dB, 26dB, 24dB, etc. Even a 0.5dB gain difference will tip the scale in favor of the higher gain amp.

People say, "But I did level match". How? By ear? Please! By their $50 SPL meter? Better than by ear, but still, please. These meters have a +/-2dB error margin/ tolerance or worse.

I suppose as a healthcare professional who sees clinical double-blinded drug studies all the time at my hospital, I tend to trust scientific and engineering methodology more than by ear or gut instincts. I realize that double-blinded amp studies will never carry the same weight as clinical drug studies on patients. biggrin.gif

But these double-blinded amp studies with true precision level matching (instead of by ear or inaccurate SPL) with multiple test subjects do have merits.
Billy p and BarracudaDelGato like this.
post #41 of 59 Old 07-22-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Seeing that you're in Canada, and you would like to keep the budget down, you should try and check out PSB's top of the line speaker. You might be surprised how well it compares

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/synchrony/Synchrony-One
post #42 of 59 Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd read this.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409120/speakers-10k-for-rock-alternative-and-some-pop-not-jazz-or-classical

Also, I understand you wanting people to stay to the list. But your list is so vast that it seems it really hasn't been "narrowed" at all. I think you're silly not to be open to the Salk's or Philharmonics with the reputation they have. I would at least add them to the list...unless of course you were already aware of them before and removed them for whatever reason. Then I could understand.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #43 of 59 Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Liked: 801
If for music, I'd go with Martin Logans if for Home Theater, I'd go with Klipsch Reference series.
post #44 of 59 Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
How much are B&W 803D? They are much better than the 804D in your size room (and in general). I prefer them over the Paradigm and Monitor Audio. No comments on the others on your list.

B.
post #45 of 59 Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

How much are B&W 803D? They are much better than the 804D in your size room (and in general). I prefer them over the Paradigm and Monitor Audio. No comments on the others on your list.
B.

803D are $10K/pr, 804D are $7.5K/pr.
post #46 of 59 Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 237
^^^ I think the OP is in Canada...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #47 of 59 Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

^^^ I think the OP is in Canada...

Yeah, I meant that the Canadian pricing might put them out of the running.

B.
post #48 of 59 Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Agreed; my point too, I just wasn't clear... I have not heard the most recent revision of the 800-series line. A couple of years ago whilst listening with a friend I was somewhat shocked by how much better the 803D's were than the 804D's, almost like they were in a different line.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #49 of 59 Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any experience with Legacy speakers? In particular, the Signature SE or Classic HD?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #50 of 59 Old 07-26-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

B.

I had a chance to do an A/B comparison of the 804D to the Focal 1028be. I much preferred the Focal. More detailed and more solid bass. The soundstage seems to open up a bit more with the Focals as well. Both were using Simaudio gear. Not that I didn't like the 804's, but as soon as the switch was made to the Focals, it was clear which one was a superior speaker, to my ears anyway, and to the ears of the other couple of individuals that happened by while we were auditioning.

The 804D was around $7,500 Canadian. The Focal's were about 1G more.

post #51 of 59 Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguemodel View Post

After more research, I'm considering the Salks as well as the Legacy's.

post #52 of 59 Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:

After more research, I'm considering the Salks as well as the Legacy's.

Its your purchase but Id personally favor the Focus 1028's or try to swing B&w 803's. The 803d's are a seriously nice speaker IMO. If it were my purchase on that budget Id go with Focus 1008's or B&w 805d's on stands and use the additional cash to supplement the bookshelves with a Funk Audio sub using a TC Sounds 18 driver. Their sub cabinets are art work, big WAF. Cross the sub at 60-80 hz and either combo will give you superb midrange and uppers and superb clear bass that could go as low as your music can take you.
post #53 of 59 Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The Phil3 mops the floor with them all IMO. They come in 2 standard cabinets: the $3.3K & $3.5K/PR.
If you want a pair of speakers that sound like a $20,000 pair of speakers, get the Philharmonic Audio 3 speakers IMO.

What is the BG NeoPlaner midrange that they talk about on the Phil3? Is this their own in house built midrange driver or do they buy it from someone? If they purchase it, are there any other comparable speakers that also use it?

Forget it, I googled it and found it, looks like Salk uses it on some of his speakers too.
post #54 of 59 Old 07-29-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breako View Post

Its your purchase but Id personally favor the Focus 1028's or try to swing B&w 803's. The 803d's are a seriously nice speaker IMO. If it were my purchase on that budget Id go with Focus 1008's or B&w 805d's on stands and use the additional cash to supplement the bookshelves with a Funk Audio sub using a TC Sounds 18 driver. Their sub cabinets are art work, big WAF. Cross the sub at 60-80 hz and either combo will give you superb midrange and uppers and superb clear bass that could go as low as your music can take you.

Do you mean the Focal 1028/1008 as opposed to the Focus?

post #55 of 59 Old 07-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Do you mean the Focal 1028/1008 as opposed to the Focus?

My bad, in both sentences I meant to say Focal, not Focus. Got camera terms on the brain.
post #56 of 59 Old 07-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Are you going to do a sub with 2.1 or just straight 2.0?

Ive heard the SF Luito and I thought they sounded really good...hopefully you can negotiate off the sticker hard.

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #57 of 59 Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylight View Post

Are you going to do a sub with 2.1 or just straight 2.0?
Ive heard the SF Luito and I thought they sounded really good...hopefully you can negotiate off the sticker hard.

Whether or not I use a sub will be entirely up to what speakers I end up going with. I have not heard the SF Liuto's, but I have heard other SF models and do quite like them and like the look of the Liuto's. I have had an opportunity to buy two pairs now at a very reasonable price. Like so many of the other speakers, Iam basing a lot on reviews as I am not in a location that allows me access to many of the brands tht I would be interested in.

post #58 of 59 Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know, wasn't even on my original list, but think I've decided on the Anthony Gallo 3.5's.

post #59 of 59 Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 AM

Liked: 14
I just bought a pair myself! Love them, what a soundstage. Takes a little while to break in. Did you wind up purchasing them?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page