Wharfedale EVO-40 tower speakers > opinions? (pic) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wondering what your opinions are on this tower speaker for use in 2-channel music only:

Those Wharfedale EVO2-40 tower speakers with curved sides there selling look pretty impressive, and the price is great! Cabinet finish is wood veneer too (no vinyl). I noticed that they are a 6 ohm speakers.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15535-w...eakers-pr.aspx

Speaker Type:..................2.5-Way Ported / Sealed Reflex
Woofer:...........................1ea - 6.5" Woven Kevlar
Midrange:........................1ea - 6.5" Woven Kevlar
Tweeter:..........................1ea - 1.0" Silk Soft Dome
Cabinet Finish:.................Wood Veneer
Rec. Amplifier Power:........50-300 w/ch RMS
Nominal Impedance:.........6 Ohms
Freq. Response:................30 Hz - 28,000 Hz
Sensitivity:.......................89 dB
Crossover (Sub-Mid):........150 Hz
Crossover (Mid-High):.......2,200 Hz
Dimensions:.....................43.5" H x 9.0" W x 18.0" D
Weight: ...........................53 Lb. ea

Wharfedale, along with Mission and Focal have reciently been bought out by a Chinese company called IAG Group. The speaker design and engineering still comes from the UK, but the manufacturing now is in China.

http://www.internationalaudiogroup.com/

BTW .... These Wharfedale EVO2-40 tower speakers look very much the same as the Mission M66i floorstanders I have in the Philippines. Even have the same curved cabinet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've owned the Evo2-8 and Evo2-Ctr...

I like the 8's alot - my gripe with them being a lack of bass... which shouldn't be an issue with the 40's. Regarding the 8's - the highs are detailed, but smooth, and the midrange is really nice. The soundstage was wider and not so centrally focused (I mean this in a good way) compared to the Energy RC-10. I'd expect the 40's to be very nice as well.

The Evo2 line has great build quality too, although some have complained about the binding posts... I used banana plugs so I had no issues with them.

Just FYI, IAG bought Quad, not Focal.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder how the Wharfedale EVO2-40 would compare to the Polk RTi A7 tower speakers?

The EVO2-40s are a 6 ohm speaker, while the Polk's are a 8 ohm.

I can actually buy a pair of these EVO2-40s for $100 less than the Polk RTi A7s

Too bad there is no place anywhere close to where I live that has these Wharfedale speakers to audition.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Liked: 38
IMO these are excellent speakers for the money that you can get them for. I had a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's, one range down from the EVO's and I would describe them as very warm, rich and full bodied. Wharfedale is not the last word in accuracy but if you like a musical speakers with the above attributes I mentioned, you will like these. I replaced them with another warm, lush sounding speaker, Vienna Acoustics. And the Wharfedales? My friend liked them so much, he bought them from me so I still enjoy them when I listen to his system.

The 6 ohm impedence will pose no problem as Wharfedale will state in the manual they can be driven by any amp rated into 8 ohms. Add real wood veneer cabs in choice of color and outstanding looks and I think the EVO 2-40's are a great bargain. If I was in the market for a new pair of near 2K list speakers, these would be very high on my list at what they can be had for.

Did you check out the Wharfedale owners thread?" I am sure you will find useful information from cuurent EVO owners.
Good luck and happy listening!

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #5 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank's bunch Paraneer!

You know, they also make a matching bookshelf speaker. It' called the EVO2-10, but I can't find that speaker anywhere for sale here in the US.

Maybe I could call Music Direct, since they were the ones selling the EVO2-40 I posted above ... see if they can get the 10s.

Ron,

I still wonder how that Wharfedale stacks up again a similar priced speaker ... The Polk RTi A7 ?
post #6 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Liked: 10
The most impressive thing of the Wharfedale is the neutral in music, mean that they will give you the exact sound. Definitely Wharfedale EVO2-40 is at a higher class when comparing with Polk RTIA7. There will be no concern for you to choose EVO2-40,a pair that closed to hi end class.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned, I had the Evo2-8... I also demo'd the Diamond 10.1 in the same setup in my home, and I think the Evo2-8 is better in every area except bass... Better resolultion/accuracy....

Flt Simulation,
As far as the Evo2-10... Music Direct did have them at closeout pricing too, but they've been gone for awhile now. The Evo2 line was discontinued last year... so there isn't much new stock left.... But call them just to be sure...

STO Sound Vision (tsto.com) does have the Evo2-8 still for $300/pr. - it's the smaller brother to the Evo2-10.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxcuongvn View Post

The most impressive thing of the Wharfedale is the neutral in music, mean that they will give you the exact sound. Definitely Wharfedale EVO2-40 is at a higher class when comparing with Polk RTIA7. There will be no concern for you to choose EVO2-40,a pair that closed to hi end class.

I'd have to agree - I'd go with the Evo2 line over the Polk RTI...
post #9 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I am not a fan of the RTi signature sound - I would seriously consider
the Evo speakers. They do have a 30 day return policy.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM

You're welcome. Don't know about the 2-10's but it doesn't hurt to inquire with Music Direct. I know the 2-8's are still available. Not sure about color though. Please see link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wharfedale-E...item20c2e5fa93

May I ask why the interest in the 2-10's since you are asking about the floor standing 40's in your original post?

Finally, I can't comment on how the EVO 40' stack up against the Polks as I have no experience with Polk. So I will leave others to comment on the Polks you are considering. Good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #11 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 PM

Looks like everyone did while I was typing. Good to see so many Wharfedale fans favoring the EVO's over the Polks.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

I know the 2-8's are still available. Not sure about color though. Please see link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wharfedale-E...item20c2e5fa93

Just a head's up... that ebay seller is STO Sound & Vision... and buying directly through STO's website is cheaper...
http://www.tsto.com/Wharfedale_EVO2_...ers_p/2869.htm
post #13 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

May I ask why the interest in the 2-10's since you are asking about the floor standing 40's in your original post?

From previous 2-channel audio systems that I have had in the past, in a fairly large listening room, I just like the sound of having both front and rear speakers ... a larger set of floorstanders for the fronts, and a smaller set of bookshelf speakers mounted on stands for the rear.

To me, the sound is just more "spacious" or "open" for lack of better words. I have confirmed that with doing the A - A/B test.

So, that's why I was considering on a pair of 40s for the fronts and a pair of 10s for the rear.

BTW ... I plan on powering these with a a pair of Onkyo 100 w/ch power amps ... a single 2-channel power amp for the fronts and another 2-channel power amp for the rears.

no sub for now ...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page