Looking for quality speakers, but need to be shallow - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ordered a Yamaha A710 to replace my Samsung HTIB. I am going to recycle the speakers until I can find something better. Thing is, I rent a small apartment, which means floor standing speakers are (sadly) out of the question.

This is what I'm working with:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8y...XI1MkRLY0pZa0k
For reference, the TV is 37", the ledge is 3" and the current speakers are 4" deep.

I don't want to just buy a 5.1 bundle, though I've thought about the Energy Take Classics. Ideally, I'd like 5.25" drivers but I know that may not be possible. I am looking for matching R, L, and Center speakers, and then an (~8") active sub that blends well (HTIB sub is passive). I still think I will keep the rear speakers the same since they don't do much anyway.

If I can find good speakers that are 5-6" deep, I'm open to mounting them to the inside window sills with something like this at 90deg:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=6839

Please point me in the right direction...

TV: Panasonic 50" ST50 1080p Plasma
Audio: Yamaha Aventage A710 / Polk Audio RM510 5.1
Remote: Logitech Harmony 510 / Logitech MX Air mouse / Lenovo N5902
HTPC: Silverstone SG06 / Intel i7-3770S / XFX 7870 DD / 840 Pro 256GB / Windows 8 Pro / Synology DS413 + 4x3TB WD Red RAID5
Build: http://pcpartpi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 338
What about a soundbar instead? They encompass the left, right and center channels. It's also just one piece, so you can place the entire thing on that shelf and be done with it. If you opt to go that route here are a few to check out... Couple any of those with a decent subwoofer and you should be all set. I'd advise against anything with an 8" driver if you're going to watch movies though. What is your sub budget?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. I ignored sound bars because I think they sacrafice too much in terms of fidelity. I watch lots of TV and movies, but also listen to a lot of records

Also, I thought an 8" sub would be ample for my small apartment. I suppose 10" would be nice though.

I would say my budget is $500 for everything, but that number is flexible.

HTPC: Silverstone SG06 / Intel i7-3770S / XFX 7870 DD / 840 Pro 256GB / Windows 8 Pro / Synology DS413 + 4x3TB WD Red RAID5
post #4 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSilent004 View Post

Thank you for the suggestions. I ignored sound bars because I think they sacrafice too much in terms of fidelity. I watch lots of TV and movies, but also listen to a lot of records

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to summarily dismiss soundbars. Some of those companies I mentioned are known for making very good speakers, so it stands to reason they wouldn't jeopardize their reputation making something crappy. Given your placement restrictions a soundbar is a good option, but that's entirely up to you of course.

Quote:

Also, I thought an 8" sub would be ample for my small apartment. I suppose 10" would be nice though.

Unless you're going to place it in your lap most 8" subwoofers will not have the output or extension to provide a satisfying viewing experience.

Quote:

I would say my budget is $500 for everything, but that number is flexible.

By "everything", do you mean all three front speakers and the sub? How "flexible" is flexible? Knowing that will be instrumental towards insuring you get the best suggestions.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Your budget is a tough one - and mounting speakers inside a
window seal is not reccomended.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to summarily dismiss soundbars. Some of those companies I mentioned are known for making very good speakers, so it stands to reason they wouldn't jeopardize their reputation making something crappy. Given your placement restrictions a soundbar is a good option, but that's entirely up to you of course.

I agree. Soundbars get a bad name because people actually expect them to create surround sound in a room.

I think the main reason to discard the soundbar option would be that you hope that the L/R speakers you buy for the front could eventually be moved to surround position if you get a new place and can upgrade. But otherwise, I would look into it in your situation.

Update: Here's the AVS soundbar forum.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Check out the JBL L810 and L820 and see if that is something that would work. I think they are 5" deep and are mountable.

Quote:

I just ordered a Yamaha A710 to replace my Samsung HTIB. I am going to recycle the speakers until I can find something better. Thing is, I rent a small apartment, which means floor standing speakers are (sadly) out of the question.

This is what I'm working with:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8y...XI1MkRLY0pZa0k
For reference, the TV is 37", the ledge is 3" and the current speakers are 4" deep.

I don't want to just buy a 5.1 bundle, though I've thought about the Energy Take Classics. Ideally, I'd like 5.25" drivers but I know that may not be possible. I am looking for matching R, L, and Center speakers, and then an (~8") active sub that blends well (HTIB sub is passive). I still think I will keep the rear speakers the same since they don't do much anyway.

If I can find good speakers that are 5-6" deep, I'm open to mounting them to the inside window sills with something like this at 90deg:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=6839

Please point me in the right direction...

post #8 of 12 Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Unless you're going to place it in your lap most 8" subwoofers will not have the output or extension to provide a satisfying viewing experience.

By "everything", do you mean all three front speakers and the sub? How "flexible" is flexible? Knowing that will be instrumental towards insuring you get the best suggestions.

Let's say less than $800 for everything; active sub and front stage

post #9 of 12 Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's say less than $800 for everything; active sub and front stage

Is a soundbar an option or are you thinking sperates for the front three channels?

post #10 of 12 Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 181
You may want to look at HTD Flat Panels and Middys. I have them and really like them with a powered sub, of course.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 PM

Liked: 10
sorry to hijack the thread, but people where talking about the sound bar and I was curious if I could use a sound bar to replace the Left/Right/Center speakers in my 5.1 while keeping the 2 rear speakers?
post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh4t2D0N0w View Post

sorry to hijack the thread, but people where talking about the sound bar and I was curious if I could use a sound bar to replace the Left/Right/Center speakers in my 5.1 while keeping the 2 rear speakers?

If I'm not mistaken the newer Yamahas do have speaker out terminals but I didn't check for the surrounds or for fronts.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page