Placement for a Front Speaker when a window is on one side of the wall (Pics!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone!

I need help with how to place a speaker when a window is in the way on one side.

Here is a picture of the window

I would like to place a Front left speaker in the area in green.

Would mounting a bookshelf speaker at the top area of the window facing the viewing area be the same as just mounting ceiling speakers?

These are my options. Can anyone tell me which one they think would be the best and second best sound quality?

Option 1: Place a tower speaker on the floor

Option 2: Place a bookshelf speaker at the top of the window facing viewing area

Option 3?: Possibly place bookshelf speakers on the fireplace mantel. However WAF isn't high on this one. She thinks it looks ugly. Plus the distance from fireplace to sitting area is far

Here is a picture of my layout
*Placing speaker between window and bookshelf isn't an option at this point

Equipment:

Bookshelf: JBL n24
Towers: JBL Balboa 30

Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

And one more question.. in case I do mount above the window, I might consider buying satellites to reduce the size so it isn't as noticeable.

Are satellites as good as bookshelves? I'd be willing to spend max $200 on satellites and that might be stretching it. I know. There are way more expensive speakers, but I can't afford that.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Why in the world would you place a front left speaker there?
post #4 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Bump and happy Fri!

Anyone else with possibly more constructive advice?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Why in the world would you place a front left speaker there?

...yeah, I'm wondering what his vision is, as an end result. Does he and the wife want a TV with a left-center-right properly set up, or is he placing the TV on one wall, and the three front speakers on another?

Espo77
post #6 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

...yeah, I'm wondering what his vision is, as an end result. Does he and the wife want a TV with a left-center-right properly set up, or is he placing the TV on one wall, and the three front speakers on another?

Hi Espo77

Thanks for replying.

I was thinking about placing the center speaker in front of the tv with the fr,fl closer to the seating position.

Sort of like a square fr, fl, sr, sl with the center speaker outside the square but centered under he tv. I know you had told me sound panning would be more convincing if they were next to each other (thanks again!), but as a newbie to all this I was just trying to bounce ideas off everyone to see if my setup would still work.

I was hoping to increase the volume of the center more than the rest in hopes of neutralizing the distance of the center from the rest of the speakers.

I had googled some pictures of a 5.1 setup and that it might be acceptable to do it this way, but I'm starting to think not?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Put the couch on the side of the window and put the tv/speakers on the opposite wall maybe?

Because I don't think that layout is going to work, but possibly someone else has a better idea...
post #8 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying Dunan..

It won't work huh?

This was what I was planning.. the red circles are where I wanted to place the speakers.

Edit 1: Oops! In my haste, I forgot to put a line for where the center speaker is.. it's the red circle to the right of "tv on fireplace"

Edit 2: And I totally messed up the first picture in the original post because I m made the width of the room too wide!.. the seating in relation to the tv is more centered in the picture below.

post #9 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranoobu View Post

Thanks for replying Dunan..

It won't work huh?

This was what I was planning.. the red circles are where I wanted to place the speakers.

Edit 1: Oops! In my haste, I forgot to put a line for where the center speaker is.. it's the red circle to the right of "tv on fireplace"

Edit 2: And I totally messed up the first picture in the original post because I m made the width of the room too wide!.. the seating in relation to the tv is more centered in the picture below.

Can you keep the front left and right speakers on the same wall as your diagram shows, but move them both toward the TV/fireplace...draw a circle and place all five speakers directly on the circle...and your worries are over.

Espo77
post #10 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Can you keep the front left and right speakers on the same wall as your diagram shows, but move them both toward the TV/fireplace...draw a circle and place all five speakers directly on the circle...and your worries are over.

Blah.. sorry.. I'm not used to drawing pictures like this.. and I was off again!

I can't move the fronts closer to the fireplace because the one at the top of the picture is actually placed where the wall ends. Sorry about that..

here is an updated picture with the window too. I really like the circle idea I don't think I can use it with my limited wall space though

The green circle at the bottom of the picture just shows that I can't place a speaker there either because the wall opposite (where you see a gap ) leads to the front door. So we don't want to open the door and the first thing you see is a big speaker all by itself :P Might also attract the wrong type of people in my neighborhood hehe

post #11 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Here are additional pictures in case it helps.. I know the fronts aren't exactly POINTING at the views..but I don't think I can help it if I set it up this way. So yea. If there are any other options that would be better than this, I'm all ears!

Right side of the picture (I haven't mounted speakers yet)

Bottom of picture

Top of picture
post #12 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, so just go with it. Place them where you must. Assuming that you have a modern receiver, go through all of the set up procedures...channel balance/volume of each channel/delay... and let us know how it sounds after you play some of your favorite movie scenes, preferably one with lots of front panning of sounds.
If you "draw the circle", draw it so that the surrounds and the center are directly on the line, and you'll see where the ideal spot for the two fronts are.

Espo77
post #13 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Espo!

I have a Yamaha RX-V671

I will let you know and thank you and everyone for being patient with me!

Now to make lots of holes! lol
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page