I have to give Fluance Speakers a major Thumbs up! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 133 Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 AM
Member
 
sukihock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post

How would you compare them?

As I listened to them for more hours I began to sense that for my taste the Fluance were a bit too polite. They practically made everything sound smooth which created this sense of the speakers being one dimensional to these old ears. They definitely come alive more so when the speakers are toed in directly at you. On the other hand, the HTD Level Three Towers were also smooth but had more liveliness in the midrange and tweeter. Although I parted with both of these in favor of a pair of JBL Studio 530's I would recommend these to anyone for the price. To these ears though they just didn't make me believe at times that I was hearing what the musicians or engineer intended me to hear. The JBL's are more believable to me in that regard.
sukihock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 133 Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 AM
Member
 
sukihock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

Looking at getting the XL7S for the fronts and the center to go along with it... how does it sound with music/movies/games?

If you're looking for a tower that makes practically all music sound good these might be for you. They turned out to be not as exciting as I would like music to be for me. To get a bit more high frequency energy you have to toe the towers in directly at your listening position. Now this could be that my old ears can't perceive high frequency detail as well as some. Nonetheless when I researched these I noticed others make the same observation. They aren't bad by any stretch. It really comes down to what you expect to hear coming from recorded music.
sukihock is offline  
post #123 of 133 Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 675

Anyone have experience with Fluance's small bipole surround speakers?  These look decent for $120/pair.  Thinking about ordering a set.


AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is offline  
post #124 of 133 Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SubaruB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greenwich, Connecticut
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukihock View Post

If you're looking for a tower that makes practically all music sound good these might be for you. They turned out to be not as exciting as I would like music to be for me. To get a bit more high frequency energy you have to toe the towers in directly at your listening position. Now this could be that my old ears can't perceive high frequency detail as well as some. Nonetheless when I researched these I noticed others make the same observation. They aren't bad by any stretch. It really comes down to what you expect to hear coming from recorded music.
Not the towers but the surrounds used for the fronts.
SubaruB4 is offline  
post #125 of 133 Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Member
 
DL000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hey guys.  I'm in the process of deciding between the Fluance XL series or the PSB Image series.  Now, the PSBs will cost me double the price of the Fluance, but I'm wondering if that extra price for the PSBs would give me a noticeably better sound as far as mids and highs.  I'm not too worried about the low end as I'll be running subs.

DL000 is offline  
post #126 of 133 Old 03-16-2014, 09:02 PM
 
pokeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gta Canada
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL000 View Post

Hey guys.  I'm in the process of deciding between the Fluance XL series or the PSB Image series.  Now, the PSBs will cost me double the price of the Fluance, but I'm wondering if that extra price for the PSBs would give me a noticeably better sound as far as mids and highs.  I'm not too worried about the low end as I'll be running subs.

Sorry for the late reply, if you look up my recent posts there is a thread on the bipole that myself and another member bought with a few more people coming in that may be of assistance to you.

Tldr , I have the xlbp, like them.
pokeme is offline  
post #127 of 133 Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
narphenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm extremely happy with my XL setup right now. It's my first real plunge into any sort of speaker setup that even takes a stab at being serious. I've come from many all in one box setups, and I'm blown away by the current sound. I was also quite shocked by the size of the speakers. I was expecting them to be smaller, but love the larger size. Makes me happy I jumped up to a 70" from my 50", these things would have dwarfed the 50". Running the speakers with a Sony STRDN-1050.

I purchased the XL7Fs, XL7C, the Bipolars, and the Fluance Sub. My assumption was to buy these, get a feel for them, and upgrade replace as I see fit.

Here are some pictures:






My biggest disappointment comes with the Center Channel and Bps and the inability to fully secure a banana clip(pic taken as an example).


And before you guys yell at me, this speaker placement is extremely temporary. Wall mount will be going up next week, and speaker wires have to be dropped down for the rears, as well as the sub cable. Center Channel will be moving to the top once the TV is mounted.

narphenal is offline  
post #128 of 133 Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by narphenal View Post
I'm extremely happy with my XL setup right now. It's my first real plunge into any sort of speaker setup that even takes a stab at being serious. I've come from many all in one box setups, and I'm blown away by the current sound. I was also quite shocked by the size of the speakers. I was expecting them to be smaller, but love the larger size. Makes me happy I jumped up to a 70" from my 50", these things would have dwarfed the 50". Running the speakers with a Sony STRDN-1050.

I purchased the XL7Fs, XL7C, the Bipolars, and the Fluance Sub. My assumption was to buy these, get a feel for them, and upgrade replace as I see fit.

Here are some pictures:






My biggest disappointment comes with the Center Channel and Bps and the inability to fully secure a banana clip(pic taken as an example).


And before you guys yell at me, this speaker placement is extremely temporary. Wall mount will be going up next week, and speaker wires have to be dropped down for the rears, as well as the sub cable. Center Channel will be moving to the top once the TV is mounted.
Beautiful! Are you using the bipoles as height/presence speakers or will they be serving surround duty on the sides or back? Can you comment on the sub's performance? Thanks.

sheshechic is offline  
post #129 of 133 Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Newbie
 
narphenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Beautiful! Are you using the bipoles as height/presence speakers or will they be serving surround duty on the sides or back? Can you comment on the sub's performance? Thanks.
I just have them at the front so I don't have wires slung all around the new place right now, but they will be back surrounds. My sectional isn't where it is supposed to be, and the people who prewired a lot of the setup still have to come back and bring some of the wires through the wall, and add some more wiring because they wired it for the guy who was building the house, and his setup was going to be a little bit different. This 3D model is a little older, so the setup is going to be a little different, but shows the base idea. The Right Back Bipole will be mounted on the other side of the door, and the other Left Bipole will be moved in closer to compliment the off center distance of the Right.



The subs performance seems to be good for my particular room and setup. I really haven't gotten to play with it too much, but have listened to a lot of music and watched a few movies. While the sub has some sub-standard(see what I did there) reviews online, my thoughts was to buy it, see if I liked it, if I felt I needed more get another and run a 7.2 setup, or just buy another sub all together. I'm sure performance will be better once I get it more localized to a corner as well.

My biggest problem with my opinion is that I come from an experience of paper cones, sub standard performance speakers, and a Bose system or two, so this whole setup in general is much better than what I've been accustomed to in the past. But at this point, I have no qualms with the system at all.
narphenal is offline  
post #130 of 133 Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by narphenal View Post
I just have them at the front so I don't have wires slung all around the new place right now, but they will be back surrounds. My sectional isn't where it is supposed to be, and the people who prewired a lot of the setup still have to come back and bring some of the wires through the wall, and add some more wiring because they wired it for the guy who was building the house, and his setup was going to be a little bit different. This 3D model is a little older, so the setup is going to be a little different, but shows the base idea. The Right Back Bipole will be mounted on the other side of the door, and the other Left Bipole will be moved in closer to compliment the off center distance of the Right.


The subs performance seems to be good for my particular room and setup. I really haven't gotten to play with it too much, but have listened to a lot of music and watched a few movies. While the sub has some sub-standard(see what I did there) reviews online, my thoughts was to buy it, see if I liked it, if I felt I needed more get another and run a 7.2 setup, or just buy another sub all together. I'm sure performance will be better once I get it more localized to a corner as well.

My biggest problem with my opinion is that I come from an experience of paper cones, sub standard performance speakers, and a Bose system or two, so this whole setup in general is much better than what I've been accustomed to in the past. But at this point, I have no qualms with the system at all.
Sweet and nice sub word play.

Have you done the subwoofer crawl yet? The couch in our den is up against a window wall which is why I'm considering these bipoles and intend to place them at the sides. Front speakers are JBL. I jsut recently installed Fluance's SX center in my small living room, and I like it better than the tiny polk I was using. It came with satellites and they're really pretty good for what they are- price & size- and they're not even properly broken in yet. So I know a little about what the company is capable of. What avr are you using and will you be using Audyssey to calibrate once everything is in place? I love the way it improves problem placements, and architectural faults like open floor plans. I just wonder if it does as well with bipole speakers as well.

sheshechic is offline  
post #131 of 133 Old 06-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Newbie
 
narphenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Sweet and nice sub word play.

Have you done the subwoofer crawl yet? The couch in our den is up against a window wall which is why I'm considering these bipoles and intend to place them at the sides. Front speakers are JBL. I jsut recently installed Fluance's SX center in my small living room, and I like it better than the tiny polk I was using. It came with satellites and they're really pretty good for what they are- price & size- and they're not even properly broken in yet. So I know a little about what the company is capable of. What avr are you using and will you be using Audyssey to calibrate once everything is in place? I love the way it improves problem placements, and architectural faults like open floor plans. I just wonder if it does as well with bipole speakers as well.
I have not had time to yet, plus my sectional is not in it's final spot, I've had it pushed in the corner while I've been moving in.

Right now I'm using a Sony STRDN-1050, so unfortunately no Audyssey for me. So far that is my only disappointment with the Sony receiver.

On contraction alone, I am extremely happy with the Fluance sets. They seem extremely well built especially when compared to speakers that I've seen in the same price range. I really just can't wait to here once everything gets put in position.
narphenal is offline  
post #132 of 133 Old 07-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Member
 
mzaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building my first 5.1 setup and am very glad that I discovered Fluance. Seems like such a great value. What do you guys think of this?

Denon x1000
Fluance XL7F
Fluance XL7C
Fluance AVBP2 for rear surround
MartinLogan Dynamo 300

Still debating on whether I need a sub. I heard the XL7F have decent bass, and I'm living in an apt so I can't cause any earthquakes. One thing I'm unsure about is whether this receiver will be good enough to power the XL7F speakers? It's rated at 80 watts per channel. I see people bi-amping, and I won't be able to do that since I'll be using all 5 channels. I just want to make sure that the front speakers will get enough juice so I can hear what they're made of, including the deep bass I've been reading about

Also, do you guys think the AVBP2 will be a good match for the XL series front speakers? I am thinking of getting them instead of the XLBP to save a little money and also because my room isn't that big (15'x15')

Last edited by mzaur; 07-29-2014 at 09:34 PM.
mzaur is offline  
post #133 of 133 Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM
Member
 
hank0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had these speakers for a year and I'm constantly changing settings on my Yamaha a820. It's driving me crazy. I really dislike the center. I plan to buy a new center for sure and probably the mains and surrounds.
hank0 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Fluance Avbp2 Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off