Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Not the case for those speakers, and I'd say not the case for many "pro driver" speakers except the poorly made ones. Don't want to muddy up the thread or push anything down your throat so just check out his site if you're interested in learning the differences.

Ive been to the site.....he uses high sensitivity pro/compression drivers....the big pony trick with his speakers is dealing with smaller room accoustics and the back/standing waves inside the enclosure itself. Something I did with my speakers(multiple internal damping layers)modifications. I agree with pretty much all of his findings......on reflections and standing waves and small room modes etc......but you don't need his speakers or enclosures to accomplish the same results in reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Have you heard them? I haven't but saw AJ mention he offers tours

I think you have me confused with Busch Gardens, which is also in Tampa.

Quote:

If I get a pair for his tour perhaps I can send them to you for the next leg of the tour, or vice versa.

I was considering handing a pair off to ATDG @ LSAF, since it's 4hrs away for him, 20+ for me, but he punked out on us.
Something about his wife beating him senseless if she heard anything about more speakers coming into the house, adding to the skyline....
Guess you'll have to wait till CapFest. I have some stuff in the oven that should be fully baked by then (no, not my brain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoinct View Post

I've had my Soundfield Audio Monitor 1s since September, love 'em. In the spirit of their creator, just bring over sufficient quantities of Firestone Double Jack or Avery Maharaja, and you can feast your ears to my speakers. A win-win!

Thanks Doug, glad you are enjoying them and that's a kind offer. Gentleman in CA doing the same thing, as well as NY/NJ. Heck, for those brews, I might take you up on the offer.

cheers,

AJ
post #33 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Liked: 11
Definitive Tech 8040's.
post #34 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Liked: 12
For $1500 with limited space KEF R300 should be a strong contender, 3 way bookshelf from a brand new higher level line, you can call KEF and see if there is any dealers that have those in stock in your area.
post #35 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

I think you have me confused with Busch Gardens, which is also in Tampa.

cheers,

AJ

Nope, I'm not confusing you. See this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1547

Here's the question and the reply:

Originally Posted by Nuance
Bummer man. So do you partake in any of those equipment tours? If so, where do I sign up?

Yep, but I/we've taken this thread far enough off course with mention of my speakers, which is worse than thread jacking - it's manufacturer self promotion. Feel free to PM me.

Now, there was a nice, peaceful enjoyable loudspeaker GTG in SE WI...

cheers,

AJ

I'll have to PM you, as to not break the "manufacturer self promotion" rules.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #36 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

I was considering handing a pair off to ATDG @ LSAF, since it's 4hrs away for him, 20+ for me, but he punked out on us.
Something about his wife beating him senseless if she heard anything about more speakers coming into the house, adding to the skyline....

True.

I wonder if the Soundfield will sound extremely similar to the KEF Reference speakers since they both use the Uni-Q drivers.
post #37 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

True.

I wonder if the Soundfield will sound extremely similar to the KEF Reference speakers since they both use the Uni-Q drivers.

the only thing is that UNI-Q in soundfield is from Q100. So just a guess would be Soundfield = deeper bass but weaker mids and highs. But than again the crossover is different so who knows, need to AB those 2. You probably have connections at KEF , get a pair of R300 and A/B them with Soundfield and your reference KEFs, i'd like to read that review.
post #38 of 40 Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Nope, I'm not confusing you.

If you took the Busch Gardens reference as anything but tongue-in-cheek, there's definitely some confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

True.

No need to wonder when you can find out for sure.
Just bring your REFs to Dallas this weekend
That 75 mph speed limit thing is nice, you'll be there in no time.

cheers,

AJ
post #39 of 40 Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

If you took the Busch Gardens reference as anything but tongue-in-cheek, there's definitely some confusion.

It's always tough to tell with you, AJ.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #40 of 40 Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocket View Post

Hey folks; looking for some recommendations on what speakers would be worthwhile to go and audition up to the $1500/pair price range.

I had been saving for my “dream” system but have recently realized that my dreams and my income are extremely disparate and are likely to stay that way for a while. So I am resetting my expectations since I have been in the upgrading “process” for years now (I know technically it will never end ).

I’ve currently got an Anthem AVM-30 and Rotel RMB-1075, along with a B&W HTM4. The idea long ago was to get a pair of 805s for the front, but the truth is that I can’t save fast enough to keep up with how much they cost, so I am resetting my budget for fronts to $1500/pair.

I was planning on auditioning the B&W CM5’s, but I haven’t been keeping up on what other brands I should listen to. I’ve seen folks recommend Linn Majik 109, Focal 807v, and KEF Q300 – any other brands should I include on my listening tour? I live in the Seattle area. (I realize there will be a timbre matching issue with the HTM4 – I might just have to live with that).

My room is fairly long and narrow – about 12’ wide x 20’ long with one end open to the kitchen, which extends about another 20’ – so it’s not a huge space, and I will probably have to keep it to a bookshelf speaker (I will be looking at subs next), or a very small footprint floorstanding speaker for WAF concerns.

I’d be doing 75% movies/TV/Xbox and 25% music.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if I need to provide more info!

EDIT: Forgot to ask - if anyone has any experience with the Salk Songbirds and think they would be worth considering, that is another that is on my radar.

I suggest you also check out the svs mbs-02. I have not heard them but if they are anything like the 01 line you are in for a real treat.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page