Is this because of weak speakers? - AVS Forum
Speakers > Is this because of weak speakers?
P51's Avatar P51 11:50 AM 04-28-2012
I bought a little TV for my desk and what I have been noticing is when watching an action movie, explosions or gun fire or anything that should be "in your face" isn't. In fact a lot of the time its actually weak and at a lower volume than normal talking.

Is this because it has weak (3w) speakers? Or is it because of a setting like: trusurround/truvolume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dunan's Avatar dunan 12:05 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 View Post

I bought a little TV for my desk and what I have been noticing is when watching an action movie, explosions or gun fire or anything that should be "in your face" isn't. In fact a lot of the time its actually weak and at a lower volume than normal talking.

Is this because it has weak (3w) speakers? Or is it because of a setting like: trusurround/truvolume?

'Little' and '3w' should be the first clues to the answer to your question. It would be unrealistic to expect 'in your face' anything from 3w tv speakers.
CalgaryCowboy's Avatar CalgaryCowboy 12:09 PM 04-28-2012
The built in speakers are not very good, like most tv speakers
P51's Avatar P51 12:23 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

'Little' and '3w' should be the first clues to the answer to your question. It would be unrealistic to expect 'in your face' anything from 3w tv speakers.

No, but it when voices are louder than explosions, it makes me wonder what exactly is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

The built in speakers are not very good, like most tv speakers

I agree, but even on my laptop (Which I assume has equal speakers), I can actually here an explosion.
Dave1027's Avatar Dave1027 12:30 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:

Yeah. If your "little TV" has a variable audio output or headphone jack then you can make a drastic improvement by simply adding a powered speaker set like you'd normally hook to a PC.
Matts's Avatar Matts 12:47 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:

If the voices are significantly louder then the rest of the background sound or effects then it's a good bet that your TV has some kind of dynamic volume engaged where it is making everything sound the same volume or close to the same volume, dialogue is always a little more pronounced when something like dynamic volume is engaged. Check your menu under sound/audio to see if you can disengage anykind of audio EQ or volume compression.
dunan's Avatar dunan 12:55 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:

No, but it when voices are louder than explosions, it makes me wonder what exactly is the problem.

I agree, but even on my laptop (Which I assume has equal speakers), I can actually here an explosion.

I don't think there is an actual problem, it's just that you have different speakers that excel at different frequencies for your laptop and tv. Like another poster said, try some headphones.
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar Bill Fitzmaurice 02:42 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:

The bandwidth of voices is well handled by threes. The bandwidth of explosion's isn't. The TV may even employ high-pass filtering of the audio amp to protect the drivers from over excursion with low frequency content.
Espo77's Avatar Espo77 05:25 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:

Is this because it has weak ( 3w) speakers? Or is it because of a setting like: trusurround/truvolume?

It could be both of the above. Did you experiment with the TVs sound adjustments?
Purchase a powered pair of speakers, like the audioengine A5.
chikoo's Avatar chikoo 08:28 AM 04-29-2012
Simply put, the tv speakers are designed with vocals/ mid range (forward sounding) bump
Up
Mobile  Desktop