rear speaker advice (Emotive ERD1, Niles, etc) (see photos) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My A/V consultant suggested Niles for my basement home theater. I got the Niles Stagefront IW2550 LCR.

He recommended HDFX for my rear speakers (in-ceiling). Niles HDFX appears to be in-wall (although I do see references to "ceiling"). Can these be mounted in the ceiling (and if so), where would I mount them? Directly above the listening area??

http://www.nilesaudio.com/docs/manuals/HDFX_manual1.pdf

Someone else on the forum recommended the Niles DS7FX, but the 8 ft depth requirement for these speakers (with enclosure) would run into a pipe that is 5-6 inches above the ceiling. The Niles HDFX would NOT have this issue (3 1/2 inch depth only)

As far as availability of space, I can either mount speakers 1 ft - 2 1/2 ft behind the listening area (depth should be less than 5 inches, UNLESS width is less than 7") or more than 5ft behind the listening area (depth can be more than 8 inches).

I could probably move the sofa (listening area) a few inches forward or back.

I picked up some ERD1s to try out as sides.

So, I guess I am looking at these options:

(1) HDFX in-ceiling (not sure where to install with respect to listening area)

(2) Edit: ERD1-s pole mounted 5 ft behind listening area is not an option because people will bang their heads into the speakers. The ceiling is too low to pole mount anything in a high traffic area.

(3) Other??? (needs to have a depth less than 5 inches, UNLESS the speakers have a width less than 7 inches)
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
ERD 1's are going to be better than any inwall at that price point.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #3 of 3 Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

ERD 1's are going to be better than any inwall at that price point.

After seeing your response and giving it further thought, I think the ERD-1 is not an option for the rear because people are going to walk right into the speakers. My ceiling is a little over 6 ft high in that area because of a framed out area around plumbing and duct work (running lower then the ceiling around the rest of basement).

Pole-mounting is not an option because people will be walking right into it.

I have attached a cross-section picture of what it looks like above the ceiling.

You can see that there is a pipe that starts to run immediately adjacent to a support frame. On the other side, you can see an HVAC duct. There is about 8 1/2 inches of clear space between the pipe and duct where height is not a problem.

It seems that the DS7FX would also fit without an enclosure because it only needs a depth of 6 inches (leaving 1/2 inch clearance to the pipe). But with the enclosure (for preventing bleeding of sound), it won't work
LL
LL
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page