post #31 of 50 Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

If your going with A2s all around, Jon said that would be a huge whale of a sound.

Nope. I just ordered the A5s. If the A2s are a whale of a system, there's nothing large enough to describe the A5s. I guess the A2s can be an orca of a system and the A5s are a blue whale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I haven't read a single negative review of the Arx speakers except for one user on the Emotiva forum. Although he didn't go into detail of how long he listened too them or what he compared them too. I can say that they need a break in period to give the woofers a chance to loosen up. The woofers are not tested at the factory so they have never been played when you unbox them. I've been breaking them in the last few days and they are starting to get more bassier and fuller.
First day I listened to AC/DC Back in Black dual disc and they had no punch or bass what so ever. Drum kicks had nothing to them. Fast forward 4 days and the drum kick has more impact and bass and sounds as if I have a subwoofer on at low volume.
If your going with A2s all around, Jon said that would be a huge whale of a sound.

Spent a lot of time researching the Arx and although there isn't a lot on line yet, I have read nothing but good things. I also had a very long in depth chat with Jon and he said the same thing to me about the A2's just being a ridiculous set up. Except there will be an A2-B very soon. I told him that 2 channel music was extremely important for me and he suggested going with the A2-B over the A5 tower. He said that the A2B had a little more emphasis on music and the A5 more on dynamics and will play a little louder. Although he did say you can't go wrong either way. Oh, the choices the choices.

I'm your Huckleberry
post #33 of 50 Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The current A2 and A2b will be the same other than different cabinets. New A2b will just be shorter and deeper than the current A2, Jon said the Xover and drivers stay the same as well as cabinet volume and port tuning (EDIT I was wrong slight tweaks to the Xover on the new A2b). So you can get the current A2s for L/R and get the A2bs later and they will be seamless.

I've been very surprised at how big a sound stage the A2s project and how easy they are to get to really loud output levels. I thought Jon had said the A2s have better upper midbass/midrange resolution and big soundstage, the A3 towers offer more bass and a more tigher precise soundstage, and the A5s offer best of both. I would have though the A5 would be prefered over the A2 for 2 channel.
post #34 of 50 Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The current A2 and A2b will be the same other than different cabinets. New A2b will just be shorter and deeper than the current A2, Jon said the Xover and drivers stay the same as well as cabinet volume and port tuning. So you can get the current A2s for L/R and get the A2bs later and they will be seamless.
I've been very surprised at how big a sound stage the A2s project and how easy they are to get to really loud output levels. I thought Jon had said the A2s have better upper midbass/midrange resolution and big soundstage, the A3 towers offer more bass and a more tigher precise soundstage, and the A5s offer best of both. I would have though the A5 would be prefered over the A2 for 2 channel.

I am looking for a huge soundstage so maybe that's why Jon said to go with the A2's. He said the A1B's would also be pretty sweet. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the designs. Maybe Jon or someone who has experience with them all can chime in and give us specifics on what each different model provides over the other one.

I'm your Huckleberry
post #35 of 50 Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

The input terminal plate rotates too..

I tried to rotate the binding post plate on the 4 A2's that I'm using vertically, but wasnt able to. When I removed the 4 screws on the plate, and rotated it, I could'nt get it to fit back in as there are 2 plastic pins on the back of the plate and they will not go back in when the plate has been rotated - the way the cabinet is cut doesnt allow space for those 2 pins to fit, they only fit when the plate is in the position it originally was in. It's not a big deal, but I would prefer to have my speaker wire terminals horizontal (side by side) rather than vertical..

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #36 of 50 Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

My A2 center that I got back in December has a perfectly square binding post that can rotate. Just got a new pair of A2 about a month ago and those do not rotate for vertical use. Kind of annoying but its really not a big deal the speaker wire still fits in fine and doesnt come out.
post #37 of 50 Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
I need to correct myself: Just checked the engineering drawing of the A2 to find it does not have a symmetrical terminal pad opening to allow the input plate to rotate. The upcoming replacement A2b should have such a cutout but this needs to be confirmed. All versions have the rotating tweeter cutout. My mistake and I apologize.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #38 of 50 Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it's been almost 1 year now that I've had the 5 ARX A2's - just wanted to report back briefly saying that I'm overly satisfied with these speakers - Blu-rays, music, high volume (cool.gif)... all sounds amazing

I love what Audyssey XT in my Onkyo AVR does after correction..

When I first installed the ARX's, it was in a 5.1 system with an SVS 20-39PCi sub, sounded great, no complaints at all, but I recently sold it to expand my system to 5.2, and got 2 SVS SB12-NSD subs. Still sounds amazing now, but the bass response is more even throughout the whole room biggrin.gif

I know ARX has a new model of the A2, the cabinet is shorter but deeper in order to keep the same cabinet volume as the previous model A2 (the ones I bought in 2012), and I believe the specs are identical.

All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend these speakers ! I was satisfied with the price that I paid (well except for shipping and custom fees/taxes, but that's the reality of living in Canada and ordering items from the US). I've been taking great care of them, and plan on keeping them for a very long time, i don't see what else i would ever need in terms of speakers.. I spend enough on changing displays anyways rolleyes.gif

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #39 of 50 Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats great. A2s are awesome speakers, i'm using the same model as you for center and surrounds. Big soundstage and the dialog is perfect from the center.
post #40 of 50 Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats great. A2s are awesome speakers, i'm using the same model as you for center and surrounds. Big soundstage and the dialog is perfect from the center.

Absolutely ! cool.gif

What are you using for front L and R ?

post #41 of 50 Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

What are you using for front L and R ?

A5 towers. Had A2 as front 3 but decided to get the A5s and move the A2s to the rear for surrounds.
post #42 of 50 Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A5 towers. Had A2 as front 3 but decided to get the A5s and move the A2s to the rear for surrounds.

Hahah, very nice, sweet move man ! cool.gif

post #43 of 50 Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 PM

Liked: 12
Im currently in a 20 x 20 living room and I just had a question before I pull the trigger.

I currently have a budget and for movie viewing do you think its better to go with 3 A1b fronts or 2 A2's?
post #44 of 50 Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Im currently in a 20 x 20 living room and I just had a question before I pull the trigger.

I currently have a budget and for movie viewing do you think its better to go with 3 A1b fronts or 2 A2's?

3 A1b's would be a nice front setup over just L/R A2? Of course a LCR setup would A2s would also be very nice its just more expensive. If you wanting it for majority of movies go with 3 A1b's in stead of a stereo pair of A2s, center channel is very important for movies. That and theres not set date for the A2s to be back instock, constant delays for some reason.
post #45 of 50 Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would absolutely, imo, strongly advise against running a setup without a center channel, what they call a phantom center. I've ran such a setup for a very short period of time with L/R Yamaha NS-555, I didn't like it at all to be honest.

Three A2's across the front (what I'm running right now) would definitely give you more bang. But I don't see anything wrong at all with running three A1b's instead. Regardless of which two setups you decide is best for you, in the future you'll be able to add two A1b's for your surround channels cool.gif

The important thing is to start with 3 timber matched front channels, and then go from there. biggrin.gif

A GOOD subwoofer is where you REALLY wanna start from.. then go from there biggrin.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif

post #46 of 50 Old 05-26-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
+1 For HT/TV listening 3x A1b's over 2x A2c's.
post #47 of 50 Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for input everyone.

So its gonna pretty much come down to 3 A1b's or 3 HSU H1b MK2's. The reason I am considering HSU is
because I have a pair of Energy CB 10's and planning
to use it as surrounds. I read that Hsu has dome tweeter which would somewhat match more with CB-10's(??)

Im new to speakers so please correct me if I'm wrong.
post #48 of 50 Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 PM

I currently have BIC PL-200 sub btw.

Thanks for help!
post #49 of 50 Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
Quote:

Thanks for input everyone.

So its gonna pretty much come down to 3 A1b's or 3 HSU H1b MK2's. The reason I am considering HSU is
because I have a pair of Energy CB 10's and planning
to use it as surrounds. I read that Hsu has dome tweeter which would somewhat match more with CB-10's(??)

Im new to speakers so please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have not heard the CB-10's, but just because the Hsu and Energy have dome tweeters, does not mean they will somewhat match.

If you are new to speakers, you should go out and listen to various speakers to get a feel on the differences and what you like.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #50 of 50 Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^

I would suggest the same as noted above.

Speakers should be a long term investment, unlike displays that some like (want,need) to change every few years or so.

Make sure you look into things thoroughly before making your final purchasing decision, you'll avoid future disappointments by doing this..

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page