Will this be a significant upgrade and a decent setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey all,

So Im a novice at HT audio and thinking of upgrading my HT audio which is just a basic HTiB right now. Basically Im not looking to get any louder per say but just get better quality sound. Really get all the sounds that were intended coming out. If anything my current setup is actually already loud enough to bother others in my house, lol. Obviously I would love to go to a loud bass pumping quality audio setup but budget and living situation won't allow it.

For your reference my current setup is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-SS2300...pr_product_top

What Im thinking of going to is the following setup:

Centre channel:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

2 fronts and 2 rears:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

receiver (3 options... which one?):

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH820-...5686776&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1611...5687304&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-Chann...687304&sr=8-10

haven't decided on a subwoofer yet... any advice for one to go with the above?

So you do you think that will be a significant upgrade and worth the $$$ or just a minor upgrade and not worth it in the end? Again just looking for some better quality sound. Also Im open to suggestions for other speakers and setups in about the same price range.

THANKS!
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maxcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are you aware that the speakers you linked to are all "in-walls", meaning that you have to cut a hole and install the speaker into the wall?

-Max
maxcooper is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I would suggest the Denon 1612 receiver; Home Theater rated it a Best Buy.

The speakers you are talking about are cheap junk that will not sound very good at all and have very limited sound output. I suggest you look at a pair of Polk Monitor 40 speakers for $150 and the Polk CS10 center speaker for around $120 or so. Those will sound 100% better.
commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,848
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 607
If budget minded is goal -- but still want to really see an upgrade this is the course I suggest -

Speakers - 4.9 out of 5.0 rating from 98 reviewers - $350 shipped on sale
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search
why - Have you ever seen a electronic product with such a high review score based on so many reviews on the internet?

Subwoofer - Klipsch RW-12D - $329 shipped on sale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=rsks4431a6qb
why - old model, but competeted successfully in the 2005 subwoofer shootout that sound and vision preformed against subs that cost $500 to $800.

Receiver - Denon or Onkyo (stay away from sony)
http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php#...on&firstonly=1
or
http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php#...yo&firstonly=1
why - personal bias - I've owned mostly Denons and Onkyos and haven't had one fail me yet and they seem to represent a consitant quality product at a reasonable price.




If your budget is higher - then we can talk better sub options - as there certainly are better subs...but the Klipsch RW-12D on sale represents the best subwoofer value I know of
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1390563

This setup will knock your socks off coming from a HTIB setup in EVERY way.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I would suggest the Denon 1612 receiver; Home Theater rated it a Best Buy.

+1

It's actually cheaper than the 1611 at the moment.

And commsysman, I would avoid capitalizing "Best Buy." It has the wrong association

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

Are you aware that the speakers you linked to are all "in-walls", meaning that you have to cut a hole and install the speaker into the wall?

-Max

Hi Max, yes I knew they were in-walls. Given the limited space I thought this would free up some space. But its not mandatory really as I can do with regular speaker as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I would suggest the Denon 1612 receiver; Home Theater rated it a Best Buy.

The speakers you are talking about are cheap junk that will not sound very good at all and have very limited sound output. I suggest you look at a pair of Polk Monitor 40 speakers for $150 and the Polk CS10 center speaker for around $120 or so. Those will sound 100% better.

^^^ Okay thanks. I will check those out. I saw the Denon 1612 listing right beside the one I linked but wasn't sure. Thanks for replying commsysman.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

If budget minded is goal -- but still want to really see an upgrade this is the course I suggest -

Speakers - 4.9 out of 5.0 rating from 98 reviewers - $350 shipped on sale
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search
why - Have you ever seen a electronic product with such a high review score based on so many reviews on the internet?

Subwoofer - Klipsch RW-12D - $329 shipped on sale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=rsks4431a6qb
why - old model, but competeted successfully in the 2005 subwoofer shootout that sound and vision preformed against subs that cost $500 to $800.

Receiver - Denon or Onkyo (stay away from sony)
http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php#...on&firstonly=1
or
http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php#...yo&firstonly=1
why - personal bias - I've owned mostly Denons and Onkyos and haven't had one fail me yet and they seem to represent a consitant quality product at a reasonable price.




If your budget is higher - then we can talk better sub options - as there certainly are better subs...but the Klipsch RW-12D on sale represents the best subwoofer value I know of
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1390563

This setup will knock your socks off coming from a HTIB setup in EVERY way.

^^^^ OMG thanks for the recommendations. All those items are actually well within budget minus the subwoofer. Its still a bit high but I will look into perhaps extending my budget if I can't get a decent sub below that price range. Denon and Onkyo it is then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1

It's actually cheaper than the 1611 at the moment.

And commsysman, I would avoid capitalizing "Best Buy." It has the wrong association

^^^ thanks cel4145.
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 742
If you need to go cheaper on a sub, the low end that people recommend for an HT system is the BIC F12. There are also subs in between in price. That being said, the RW-12d that Archaea recommended is that much better than the F12 because it's a solid performer down into the lower 20hz range and it will have more SPL output than the BIC. Since you said that you would like some good bass, it would be worth it if you can swing it. But the special at Newegg ends today (promo code EMCYTZT1503). Might not see it again for a while.

If you have to wait on the sub, come by the AVS subwoofer forum when you are ready, and people can tell you the best buy (not to be confused with Best Buy ) for the money

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you need to go cheaper on a sub, the low end that people recommend for an HT system is the BIC F12. There are also subs in between in price. That being said, the RW-12d that Archaea recommended is that much better than the F12 because it's a solid performer down into the lower 20hz range and it will have more SPL output than the BIC. Since you said that you would like some good bass, it would be worth it if you can swing it. But the special at Newegg ends today (promo code EMCYTZT1503). Might not see it again for a while.

If you have to wait on the sub, come by the AVS subwoofer forum when you are ready, and people can tell you the best buy (not to be confused with Best Buy ) for the money

Hey thanks for the info! That BIC F12 looks pretty good for the money. If I don't get a sub initially I will be sure to check out the subwoofer section later on. Plus I will need a sub riser as well to at least help with some of the sound from travelling down through the floor and walls. The Klipsch really does look good at that sale price but I won't be buying any stuff for a couple weeks and its still pushing the budget.

I think I really like the Jamo setup though for the money. Rave reviews everywhere for it. I am however wondering about the centre channel. Is it a pretty good centre channel?

For the receiver end of thing I think the Denon 1612 is good bang for your buck. I would like to get the Denon 1912 for its 7.1 capability if in the future I wanted to go that route but its a bit out of range again. Onkyo TX NR609 seems like good middle ground but Im not sure yet wether to go Denon 1612 or Onkyo TX NR609. Although the Onkyo seems similar in specs to the Denon 1912.

I think a plan is shaping up for my future HT audio setup "and I love it when it a plan comes together" (A-Team reference, sorry, geek moment, lol).
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,656
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 433
You can also find the Denon 1912 here
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Airplay/1.html

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 742
I prefer the Denons. The Denons have Audyssey MultiEQ which EQs the speakers and the sub. The Onkyo TX NR609 has Audyssey 2EQ, which only EQs the speakers.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You can also find the Denon 1912 here
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Airplay/1.html

Thanks! It does make it more affordable and Im usually down to get refurbs. They actually have this same refurb listed on the Amazon page as well. How does the audio community feel about refurbs? I know in some things refurbs are no problems and others refurbs never quite work out.
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I prefer the Denons. The Denons have Audyssey MultiEQ which EQs the speakers and the sub. The Onkyo TX NR609 has Audyssey 2EQ, which only EQs the speakers.

Oh k. A pro in the Denon camp for sure.

Any thoughts on the centre channel in the Jamo setup above? Is it a pretty good centre channel?
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,656
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post

They actually have this same refurb listed on the Amazon page as well. How does the audio community feel about refurbs? I know in some things refurbs are no problems and others refurbs never quite work out.

I have bought a Marantz and Denon refurb, from AC4L with no
problems. And AC4L, has good customer service.

Refurb receivers and refurb speakers - can be good options and
good bargains.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I have bought a Marantz and Denon refurb, from AC4L with no
problems. And AC4L, has good customer service.

Refurb receivers and refurb speakers - can be good options and
good bargains.

good to hear. I may just get the refurb Denon 1912 then.
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off