5.1 ML Motion 10 Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm relatively new to home theater, my last system being composed of Polk TSi300s, a CS10, and a PSW110 hooked up to my Denon AVR-391. Pretty entry level stuff. Bought five Motion 10 speakers for use in a 5.1 setup, but I'm not very familiar with ML or how these speakers stack up against what I had and/or know about. So, do these speakers require something more than my AVR-391? I'm supposing I would need a better sub than the PSW110, too, but once I get an idea what the capabilities of these speakers are I should be able to better shop.

Basically everything I can see online says these speakers sucked for the original $499 price tag compared to the 12s or compared to other premium speakers. Can't really find any reviews from the perspective of someone who bought five of them for $600. Therefore I can't shop for a sub and/or receiver on my own until I know how "good" they are and what price point I need to be looking at for other products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Welcome to the forum!
Awhile back when NewEgg was selling the motion 12s for cheap I bought two for my dad and was able to hook them up to a Denon 591. The 391 and 591 use the same amp section. He doesn't listen loud so it isn't too much of a problem for the receiver ( I believe the motion 10/12s are 4ohm). I'd recommend you trying to move up to the 591/1611/1612/1712 for the Room Correction capability through Audyssey. While it isn't perfect it's definitely better than no room correction!

Regarding their SQ, I wasn't too fond of them when I compared them to my old speakers (Energy RC-10s + PDR-10). The highs were nice but at times felt a bit bright for me on some soundtracks. Remember that's just my personal preference! I'm sure the motion 10s are similar.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, as far as the SQ is concerned, I know the Motion 10's will be better speakers than I've ever heard. But if you were to simplify that a bit and stack them up against, say, Polk Audio (since I've had them), which speaker offering would the 10's be closest to performance-wise?
post #4 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 304
You're not going to do better than what you did for the money. If they work in your room then go for it.

If you really don't like them you could resell them for little to no loss.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #5 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I definitely know that! I plan on keeping them and using them. At only 35" high it will be no problem to use all five in the room. Maybe I've posted in the wrong forum and should make a post in the subwoofer forum to see which one will pair well with the speakers.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepylabone View Post

Oh, I definitely know that! I plan on keeping them and using them. At only 35" high it will be no problem to use all five in the room. Maybe I've posted in the wrong forum and should make a post in the subwoofer forum to see which one will pair well with the speakers.

I can't tell you about Polk, never had any maybe heard some at a friends' house...maybe.

Do they sound good with your current AVR?

It doesn't matter what brand of sub, but I'd steer you away from brands like Polk or Martin Logan and towards the internet direct ones unless you get a similar discount off list like you got on the speakers....but even then maybe not. What's your sub budget?

Did you get the Newegg open box deal on the ML10s? I listened to a bookshelf model in the Motion lineup, don't remember which one, but thought they sounded a bit harsh/bright.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I actually haven't heard them yet, I'm moving in 7 days and had them sent to my new address. I was hoping to get an idea of what I'll need to buy so everything will be ready to go when I get there.

I suppose for now I can try the 391, although I'd like to get something better. I cannot afford retail electronics, however.. I deal hunt until I can afford something nice.

As far as the subwoofer goes, I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't try to "match" a subwoofer with your speakers; you should just buy the best subwoofer you can afford. If that's the case, then I've been looking at the BIC F12 and V1220 on Amazon. They have to be better than my PSW110, right (wasn't completely thrilled with it)? My budget is "as low as possible", which I know makes subwoofer shopping difficult if the above is true. If either of the BIC subs blow away my PSW110, that should be enough for me..

I got them from Newegg for $119/ea brand new. They were listed for $199, with a $70 off coupon code, and somehow with five I ended up saving $400 with my coupon code instead of $350. I had no idea about matching a whole 5.1 set until I found this deal and started researching whether or not using a tower as a center was a good idea. After reading a few articles I decided to pull the trigger on 5 and build off of that.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
No need to match subs to speakers. 1611s and 591s can be found for great prices (used that is but some offer warranty)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

I went with a used Denon 2310CI receiver for $190 and an Acoustic Audio HD-SUB10 for $139.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page