Should I change out any of my FOCAL speakers for a HT room im building in 2 months? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, Right now we are in a rental, getting our house built and it will be ready in june....Had a home theater room in previous house and have a mixup of focal speakers....Here is what I have.

Onkyo 806 receiver
focal cc700 center
(4) Focal 714v towers (was using as fronts and rears)
(2) Focal 807v bookshelves
(2) Focal 705v bookshelves
klipsch 12wd sub
polk psw505 sub
epson 8100 projector

So right now I have a 9.2, I am not sure if I wanna just do a 7.2 or 9.2 yet.

Anything I should change about my speaker setup...sell something and get another?

Maybe sell all 4 714v towers and get 1 pair of 816v instead?

Or does my setup sound just fine and I should just stick to what I have?

new room will be approx 13'x18'x8'tall

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would say stick with what you have, if anything you could think about upgrading subs.

IMHO, there is no point ditching your 714's for one pair of 816's. It would be a lateral move, no real improvement. To me it's only really worth upgrading if you're completely changing lines or brands. Going from one speaker to another in the same line is usually not cost-effective (there are exceptions though, like my going from 1028Be's to 1038Be's).

If you want to stay in the same line with Chorus series I would suggest the limited edition "W" versions which use the "W sandwich" technology found in the Electra and Utopia lines. I believe they also have a re-worked/superior crossover. Now we're getting into big bucks territory, though.

I'd think about ditching the 8/9th channels, and maybe even the 6/7th in a room that size. Might be a little more than the room/seating arrangements can handle. That is, unless, you really really love the wides/heights or extra rear surrounds.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
post #3 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 391
If I was going to upgrade from that list - I would upgrade the subs.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. i was thinking about ditching the 8th and 9th anyways so id have 7.2....which ones should I get rid of a set of the towers or the cheapest being the 705v?

also the subs....if I sell both what would u recommend? just getting one that cost around $500 or get a couple around $250-300 each?
post #5 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rythmik sub
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

HSU
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Outlaw
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

post #6 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Why not use the towers as fronts and front wides, and use the bookshelves for the surrounds?

Is the room going to be a dedicated theater room? If so, you might want to look at selling the lot and going with something like the JTR, Seaton, CHT or other high performance, high efficency and high output speakers. Your speakers will do just fine btw, but if you like to listen to movies at or near reference levels, you might want more.

To be honest, I would also replace the receiver as well. It's not bad, but not capable of the new crop of receivers available today.

+1 on definitely getting new subs.
post #7 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I recommend selling one pair of the 714v towers, then sell the 705v bookshelves, and, then purchase a pair of dipolar or bipolar surrounds that can be mounted on the side walls and keep the 807v's in the rear. Take what money you have left over and purchase a better sub, such as something from HSU, Elemental Designs, SVS or even Seaton or JTR. (although I must point out that the Seaton sub and the JTR subs are hella expensive!) I believe what I outlined above will be better than what you currently have.

But, if it were me, I would sell the entire setup, and go with something a little more geared towards home theater. I happen to really like Definitive Technology speakers for home theater. You might also check out JTR and Klipsch. I like the Klipsch heritage line much better than the JTR. You could probably find a good deal on a pair of Klipsch La Scalla's that are used for around $700 to $1,000.00, then look for a used Hersey for the center channel and use a pair of the Reference line surrounds.

You could most likely pay for that exact Klipsch setup that I outlined above for what you get out of your current speakers. If you do end up going with e Klipsch heritage stuff, I can promise that it would blow your Focals out of the water! I have heard that same setup and honestly, it smoked the JTR triple 12 setup that I heard a few weeks ago. Good luck!
post #8 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I don't get it... What's wrong with your current setup that requires changing? There's always something better out there if you look for it. The point is do you need to upgrade?
post #9 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

I don't get it... What's wrong with your current setup that requires changing? There's always something better out there if you look for it. The point is do you need to upgrade?

Well I like my current set up and the room is going to be a dedicated HT room...I also have 2 months to get the right setup. So if I can sell everything I have and get something better within the 2 months then why not I got the time.

Say if I sold off everything I have and could get $2500 for it all and I wait for deals or even buy used is $2500-$3000 going to be enough for a sub and 7 other speakers. and receiver?

it is going to be 100% movies/tv...I really do not listen to music at all.
post #10 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm abit confused here and I agree with Veda, There is nothing really wrong with your current system. I do believe some upgrades are needed, but getting rid of everything and starting over. It sounds like you hope to start over with what you get from the sale of your current set, and in hopes of getting something better with the same money. I doubt that happens.

If you plan to go 9channels, you're going to need a 9channel AVR and an amp/s. You already have the speakers. So far, this means, the Onkyo 806 has to go.

Those subs have to go, but if I were you, I would have to think higher priced subs. One sub in the $500 price range is not going to compliment your system in that size room. Of course you buy something boomy and your system will be lacking.

Without a doubt think double your $500 at minimum to get a sub/s that you will be truly happy with.

So basically my idea is to get rid of the Onkyo and both subs, look into a 9channel AVR and possible amp/s. Save hard for the subs.

This is a dumb question, but I want to make sure. Which wall do you plan to place this stuff? On the 13foot or 18foot wall?
post #11 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibasnatch View Post

Well I like my current set up and the room is going to be a dedicated HT room...I also have 2 months to get the right setup. So if I can sell everything I have and get something better within the 2 months then why not I got the time.

Say if I sold off everything I have and could get $2500 for it all and I wait for deals or even buy used is $2500-$3000 going to be enough for a sub and 7 other speakers. and receiver?

i would keep what you have... you like it, and there's nothing wrong with it for your intended usage...

except for the subs... i would put whatever money you have towards that, and i would not skimp...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #12 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Hi, Right now we are in a rental, getting our house built and it will be ready in june....Had a home theater room in previous house and have a mixup of focal speakers....Here is what I have.

Onkyo 806 receiver
focal cc700 center
klipsch 12wd sub
polk psw505 sub
epson 8100 projector

Anything I should change about my speaker setup...sell something and get another?

Thank you

You have very good speakers. I heard both the Focal 700 line and 800 line and there really wasn't all the much difference for HT, IMO. For mostly music, I did like the 800 series better.

As has been mentioned here a few times, I would look at getting a good sub(s). You will be amazed at the difference it makes for HT.
post #13 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Your biggest upgrade will be subs. Leave the rest of your system alone. Dump both subs and start with a @ 500 - 650 sub, add another later for bass heaven.

The subs Z mentioned are fantastic, I would choose the HSU or Outlaw for 100% HT. You may be netter suited posting in the Subwoofer forum.
post #14 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i would keep what you have... you like it, and there's nothing wrong with it for your intended usage...

except for the subs... i would put whatever money you have towards that, and i would not skimp...

+1. Chris will even be surprised that we agree.
I have not listened to your particular speakers. I have Chorus 816's and matching center. They are a great all around speaker.
Could you do better? Yes. You will likely be able to do better with whatever you buy. This an endless pursuit. I have an SVS PC20-39 + and I have heard nothing better for the money. I am not pushing my sub on you. Just giving an alternative.
Enjoy
post #15 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Onkyo 806 receiver
focal cc700 center
klipsch 12wd sub
polk psw505 sub
epson 8100 projector

Thank you

For a dedicated theater of that size, I recommend a 5 speaker setup with dual subs generically speaking.

I'd use a pair of the towers, the center channel, and the 700 series for the sides/surround. I'd sell off a pair of towers and the 800 bookshelves. I'd also sell off both subwoofers.

I believe your current receiver to be capable and adequate at this time and not an issue... just use it. With whatever coin generated from the sale of the 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers... I'd put into a pair of the most badass ported subs you can afford. Hopefully you could swing up around $1500 for a pair of nice subwoofers. A dedicated home theater should be pressurized with bass when called upon. Much more important than a receiver upgrade or a decision to go 5 speakers or 7 speakers in my opinion.
post #16 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:

Not enough for JTR's or Klipsch Heritage. You could easy spend half of that or more on a couple capable subs.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #17 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

+1. Chris will even be surprised that we agree.
I have not listened to your particular speakers. I have Chorus 816's and matching center. They are a great all around speaker.
Could you do better? Yes. You will likely be able to do better with whatever you buy. This an endless pursuit. I have an SVS PC20-39 + and I have heard nothing better for the money. I am not pushing my sub on you. Just giving an alternative.
Enjoy

lol! truly a red letter day...

his obvious weak link is his subwoofers (and it's a big weak link)... it makes no sense to sell off speakers that he likes and replace them with something else...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #18 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

lol! truly a red letter day...

his obvious weak link is his subwoofers (and it's a big weak link)... it makes no sense to sell off speakers that he likes and replace them with something else...

Actually he should replace the Onkyo with a UMC1 and good amps.
post #19 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I agree with not selling off everything after i thought about it it didnt make sense....

I think I am ok with 7.2 or a 5.2 system. I have actually never heard a proper 7.1 anyways....

Now out of the 7.2 and 5.2 which should I do? the projector will be on the 13' wall so id be sitting back 12-18 feet from the screen.

If I start with a $500 sub what would u recommend and should I buy new or used?

thank you all so far for the answers!
post #20 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i would recommend saving the 500 and adding to it until you can spend more...

- chris

post #21 of 40 Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

^^^

i would recommend saving the 500 and adding to it until you can spend more...

I dont think i want to put in more then 500 on a sub...maybe 600 MAX and that being brand new.

out of the 3 subs listed above on page 1 which would u guys recommend the most...i can afford any of the 3......

also is onkyo receivers the best to pair with focals?
post #22 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

your avr is fine... worrying about what avr to "pair" with speakers (assuming it has enough oomph to drive them, which yours does) is pointless...

sorry, can't help you with the subs...

- chris

post #23 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

so looking at these subs again looks like the outlaw is my best deal at $499 which it is on sale and has free shipping......the HSU is $519 but then they was $63 to ship it.
post #24 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so looking at these subs again looks like the outlaw is my best deal at $499 which it is on sale and has free shipping......the HSU is $519 but then they was $63 to ship it.

I would aim for the Outlaw.

post #25 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I would aim for the Outlaw.

Me to, but get two!! You will want another down the road and now is the time if you can!
post #26 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

ok. I will at least order 1 for now....so the subs are settled....Now I need to decide whether to do 7.2 or 5.2.....if i do the 5.2 I could afford that extra sub after I sell off a couple speakers....But I do already have a 7.1 receiver so should I just stick with 7.2?
post #27 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i have an 11.2 avr and i run 5.2...

having experimented with back speakers in a 7.1 (but not wides, i cannot fit wides in my room ), it would vote "second sub" over back speakers... as noted, can't really compare to wides...

of course, my real vote would be to spend the whole $1k on one sub, but you already vetoed that idea...

- chris

post #28 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

So My room MIGHT be a little smaller then I thought....it will be 13' wide x 16' or so....if it is smaller then I originally thought is this size of room better for a 5.1 system?

I have a 120" screen how far back should I be sitting?

Its an unfinished portion of the basement which I plan on finishing and it has the water heater and main duct work in the back of the room thats why I am thinking it will be smaller cause I would most likely wall it off and add a door .
post #29 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How come you don't want a 1k sub?
post #30 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:

So My room MIGHT be a little smaller then I thought....it will be 13' wide x 16' or so....if it is smaller then I originally thought is this size of room better for a 5.1 system?

I have a 120" screen how far back should I be sitting?

Its an unfinished portion of the basement which I plan on finishing and it has the water heater and main duct work in the back of the room thats why I am thinking it will be smaller cause I would most likely wall it off and add a door .

Go with a 5.1 system, but get two subs. The center channel and sub are probably the two most important speakers in an HT. Personally for a dedicated HT room I like speakers with higher sensitivity, directivity and higher power handling. Also like larger cone area. But then again, I like huge dynamics in my HT.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page