Outdoor Party Speaker Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start by saying I have literally no DJ experience and my audio experience is limited to installing subs and an amp in my car.

I plan to throw a huge party to celebrate all my friend's graduations at once as well as the beginning of summer. I have like 3 weeks to put this thing together and I want this to be big...planning on inviting ~250 to this thing with a 'bring your friends' tagline so I'm figuring ~300-500 will show. This is going to be on an open field and most likely powered by generators. I am charging $5 a head so my budget for this stuff is ~$1000.

I need a setup that will:
1) really kick with good bass. (cause we know that's what the kids love these days)
2) can be easily controlled by my laptop without a DJ control board. (iTunes Playlist)
3) be as mobile as possible.
4) least power consumption as possible
5) maybe even a simple light show setup?

If anyone has some ideas to help this party happen please help me out.

I know this is a fairly ridiculous idea but its in its very early stages and if I pulled it off it would be one hell of a night.

Thanks for your time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Gemini PA7000, just get a 3.5mm to rca cable to hook up an mp3 player or laptop. You can also hook a mic up.

Behringer EPQ304 4 channel amp. You need a pair of rca splitters and rca to 1/4" cables to get 4 channels up and running.

Behringer VP2520 x4. Puts you a little over budget, but 4 of these should fill that area decently with bass, and get more then loud enough. Speakon cables connect the amp to the speakers.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

WOW! Couldn't have asked for a better response! all together that is $1200. SO perfect! I am definitely going with this setup.

I recodnize some of the parts there like the obvious ones so below you will see how I believe it should be set up purely based on my common sense so its 50/50 that its right haha. If anything is wrong please point it out.

From what I can tell it goes:

Laptop > 3.5mm RCA cable > Gemini PA700 (via RCA input) > RCA y splitter > RCA to 1/4" cable > Behringer EPQ304 (via 1/4" input) > speakon cables > 4x VP2520 speakers

Thanks again.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

The same speakers can be found here for the same price. The single woofer version is slightly cheaper. Parts Express has lots of Pro Audio speakers, amps, cables, and connectors to help you out. And no, I don't work for them, just a very satisfied customer.

A key to PA sound for large groups is elevating your speakers. Lifting your speaker cabinets 4-5ft above the ground will make a huge difference on how much coverage and volume you will get. Even 2-3ft up is better than sitting the cabinets directly on the ground.

Hope everyone has fun!
post #5 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvander3526 View Post

WOW! Couldn't have asked for a better response! all together that is $1200. SO perfect! I am definitely going with this setup.

I recodnize some of the parts there like the obvious ones so below you will see how I believe it should be set up purely based on my common sense so its 50/50 that its right haha. If anything is wrong please point it out.

From what I can tell it goes:

Laptop > 3.5mm RCA cable > Gemini PA700 (via RCA input) > RCA y splitter > RCA to 1/4" cable > Behringer EPQ304 (via 1/4" input) > speakon cables > 4x VP2520 speakers

Thanks again.

Yup you got it
post #6 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How many hours is this? Is just hiring a DJ an option? There's a good chance it would cost less then the cost of speakers and a good DJ would probably have a more capable system.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

@miller
Thanks for the links and yes I will definitely invest in stands if I end up doing this!

@blackdevil
Unfortunately hiring a DJ is not an option.

Now that I have seen the single woofer version and realized that I really need to stay under $1,000 I have to choose between (2x) dual woofer VP2520s or (4x) single woofer VP1520s

Also, this is probably an obvious question but I was wondering, do I need the 1000W rated VPxxxx since the Behringer EPQ304 listed by Jay1 only puts out 300W? Because, if not then I could go with the cheaper VSxxxx line rated for 600W.

Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering you wont have subs, the floorstanders with dual 15"s will have deeper bass response then the smaller stand mount single 15"s. You could also just get 3 of the 2520's.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

OK, yeah good call, I'll probably end up doing the 3 doubles since I don't have a Sub.

Even though it doesn't apply anymore I still have this question mostly because I'm curious: Would I need the 1000W rated VPxxxx since the Behringer EPQ304 listed only puts out 300W? If not then I could go with the cheaper VSxxxx line rated for 600W.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry about the power ratings
post #11 of 22 Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

damn lol just tryin' to learn!
post #12 of 22 Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM

My son is in high school and throws a lot of 'raves'. Let me say that while the system you've got spec'ed up above is certainly going to work, it's a bit cumbersome, complicated, and expensive for the application you mentioned. What you're trying to do can be done a LOT simpler and for much less dough.

Cruise your local craigslist or guitar center for some used, powered, PA speakers instead of fooling around with amps and preamps. Most of what you'll find, you can just jack an Ipod or laptop right into them using an adapter, add power and party on. If you really want to go cheap, just rent the same equipment...lots of people do that. Having all that equipment investment, owned, stored, etc for occasional use can be problematic. Resale value is poor on new equipment, used holds it's value OK.

I've got a setup of 2 Behringer B315D's, a simple 12 input mixer (for teen garage band use) and cables that we use quite a bit that all in was under $500 - it was used, therefore cheaper. Later added a 31 band Behringer EQ, a big 18 inch PA sub for the boom factor, furman power, etc, but we got by without the extras for a LONG time and many a party. It's no hi-fi audiophile system, but it rocks hard, loud, durable, portable, and for hardly any money it's a perfect party setup. Would be good for outdoor movie night too!

Behringer gets a lot of flack from the Pro Audio snobs, but frankly, I think they are just fine for casual dj stuff. For the money, it can't be beat.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Why not just rent the gear? Many musicians shops have this option.

I would never buy this stuff for a one time use.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Get the 4 single woofers and stands, and a Behringer iNuke 1000 amp, with more power for the same price, and the four speakers with stands will cover the area with good bass, I have 4 of the single woofer Behringers and a iNuke amp, and they can easily cover that area.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

@Eric
Your son and I should have that in common within a few weeks. Thanks for the pointers! I actually am planning to use the setup I decide on for the rest of the summer if all goes well and actually got an offer from someone who would purchase the whole rig at the end of the summer for 75% of what I paid. Haven't accepted yet just because i might like them too much to sell but I think its a good backup plan!

@iFor
Unfortunately renting is not an option.

@macwhiz
The iNuke 1000 is only a 2 channel amp so it wouldn't work for this 4 speaker setup. Good to hear a testimonial though!
post #16 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I had one other question; the Behringer Europower EPQ304 only puts out 75W with 4ohm impedance (i believe that is the impedance of the VS1520s..) and the continuous wattage of the VS1520 is 150W. I read that a general rule is to have 2x wattage than the continuous wattage of the speaker it is powering (is that true?). This being the case, should I look into a higher wattage 4-channel amp in order to not waste the speakers potential?
post #17 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM

I have done live sound for a few years now and I feel as though you are wasting your money on this gear. Outside you will push that equipment to it's limits very quickly. When it comes to live sound and dj gigs the Behringer products are not very reliable. This is coming from experience. You would be better off buying to good powered mains that will allow for a laptop to be plugged in. Daisy chain the speakers together and create a play list on your laptop and let the party begin.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Could you elaborate on the word 'good'? maybe a link? I don't know the good and bad companies and I'm sure you know them from your experience. I appreciate the advice!
post #19 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this way is way cheaper!!

should I do a set of 4 of these: HERE

or a set of two of these: HERE

Thanks again for all the help everyone!!!
post #20 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 AM

Just like everything else you get what you pay for. I am not sure how far you can go on budget but there are ALOT better offerings than what you are looking at. If you go the passive route try and find a QSC amp. They are work horses. They can be had ,fairly priced, on the used market. They carry a 7 year warranty that will transfer to the next owner. The yamaha speakers are a good sounding speaker at a decent price point.

Getting into powered speakers goes up a little in price but shop around. Some of the best I have heard and owned are made by Yorkville. ALOT of people have not heard of them. The are a Canadian company but sell ALOT here in the states. If I knew where you are from I could point you in certain directions that would help you out.

Check out the forums at harmony central. It is dedicated to live sound and they have a for sale forum.

I am not trying to steer you away from certain brands but I am just giving my personnel experience.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM

That Seismic stuff probably IS crap - you do get what you pay for to some extent, and that pair price seems much too good to be true....dunno.

Don't want to bust rwe's balls too much, but in my own personal experience, Behringer has been both reliable and enjoyable, not to mention durable. My son and his buddies crank that stuff for all it's worth pretty much every friday/sat for 2-5 hours a night for the last year, and we've had NO problems. Pity my ears for all that dubstep each weekend, but they sure do have fun! Last party was 200 kids, and it was stupid loud....

Maybe I got lucky.....maybe YMMV....maybe a lot of stuff.

I do think using powered mains is better for the casual user than passive mains with an external amp. Powered mains advantages: setup/teardown simplicity, portability, less cabling, expandability, resale etc.

In an open field, unless you spend a LOT more money, you're going to have an SPL falloff with distance. In that circumstance, no matter what you buy, you'll probably want more power if you're anything like my kids. And in that case, adding a couple more powered mains or powered subs later is the easiest path.

To stay in your budget, used is good. If you have to stay in that budget, buying new stuff will mean making a compromise. Mackie gets a good rep. JBL too. Yorkville is adored by a lot of people. Behringer is always ridiculed in the forums, but IME, the reality turned out MUCH better than the forums advice tends to indicate. Harbinger and Gemini are cheaper than Behringer, adn take a lot of flack too, but I can't speak to them. Peavy low end stuff a lot of people say isn't so good, but I saw a band at a local pub the other day using some low end Peavey and It sounded OK actually.

I took a chance and I won with my setup. Good luck with your party!
post #22 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM

I am just speaking from past experience. If only used a few times a year the Behringer may be the way to go. The Yamaha S115V speakers are a little more but worth it. Also their resale value is greater. Check your local Guitar Center or other stores that will sell used gear. The S115V can be found for $299 used and they sound very good. A QSC RMX850 amp would push them just fine. A small 4-6 channel mixing board and you are ready to go. You do not need a DJ board. They cost more and do not add that many features vs the higher price. Oh and you will need cables. All that could be had for under $1000 and would last a long time.

Found some S115V speakers for $199 each used and can be shipped to a local store if yours does not have any. This is at Guiter Center.
They also have a used QSC 1450 amp for $299. A small 4 channel board for $80. Buy the cables and for $825 you have a nice little set up.
Reply Speakers