Stereo sounds better than surround for movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just put together my new system. 2 Front Paradigm Mini Monitor's with a cinema 400 Center. For movies, Ive noticed when receiver is on stereo (using both fronts with no center) it sounds much much better than when Im in surround. My receiver Pioneer Elite SVX-40 has (stereo, advanced surround & direct surround) When its in stereo Tron feels alot more full of detail. Deeper bass, mids sounds good. Any other surround setting takes the fullness away and adds a whole lot of voice treble to center and minimum sounds from Right and Left speakers. Just looking for some tips on how to adjust this.

Crap: thought I posted this in receivers. Maybe admin can move this. sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Your observations go directly opposite to mine over the years. I would guess two possibilities:
1. You are used to stereo and have internalized it as your reference.
2. Sub-optimal setup and/or room acoustics.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

Just put together my new system. 2 Front Paradigm Mini Monitor's with a cinema 400 Center. For movies, Ive noticed when receiver is on stereo (using both fronts with no center) it sounds much much better than when Im in surround. My receiver Pioneer Elite SVX-40 has (stereo, advanced surround & direct surround) When its in stereo Tron feels alot more full of detail. Deeper bass, mids sounds good. Any other surround setting takes the fullness away and adds a whole lot of voice treble to center and minimum sounds from Right and Left speakers. Just looking for some tips on how to adjust this.

I would run the EQ in your Pioneer again and then manually check the settings. Do you have a sub?
post #4 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have the same experience with my hk avr2600. It looks like the signal is cumulated into 2 channels making it sound more powerful.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Must because I dont have my sub yet. Decided last minute to fore-go my PDR-100 for something better. So I was basically running music and movie tests. Music was great, movies with 3.0 not so much lol. Ill re run tests than when my sub gets delivered.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM

Liked: 12
Sounds like you are not using surrounds. Did you set up your receiver so that it has these turned off? When you set it to stereo it would force all of the content into the front two speakers regardless of your settings but if you set it to surround and the receiver is expecting you to have surrounds you would lose all of that content since they aren't actually connected.

As to having more content go to your center in surround that's completely normal. The center is the most important speaker for movies outside of perhaps the subwoofer. Looks like you are mixing full size bookshelves with a thin flat panel center which could be why the center sounds like it has more treble as it could be a brighter speaker line and may not be capable of playing as full as your bookshelves due to the size. That's really the tradeoff of those thin speakers is they can't play as full of a sound. The room correction may be able to take care of this but you can also try and raise the crossover and see if the sub can fill in some of that mid bass. If none of that works to your satisfaction you may want to look into getting the matching center for your fronts.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

I have the same experience with my hk avr2600. It looks like the signal is cumulated into 2 channels making it sound more powerful.

Why would two channels sound more powerfull than 5.1?

Espo77
post #8 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
He could be having lobing problems with a poorly designed 2-way center channel.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Your observations go directly opposite to mine over the years. I would guess two possibilities:
1. You are used to stereo and have internalized it as your reference.
2. Sub-optimal setup and/or room acoustics.

I agree with #1.... My father in law hates surround cuz he hates the center channel. He's used to his old Sony Quadraphonic stereo system, he likes all the sound coming out of his large floorstanders rather than the voices coming basically just from the center.

If your used to movies and music in 2 ch stereo moving to surround will be a difficult transition until you are fully used to it and realize that this is how it should sound.

Shawn
post #10 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Im 29 and Its my first HT setup. So Im not use to anything except TV speakers. Sub should arrive in 2 days, so Its nut setup for it right now. I didn't run EQ check yet either. Im thinking when Its in surround, its accounting for for 5.1 or 7.1 not the 3.0 thatd there right now.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Why would two channels sound more powerfull than 5.1?

You tell me. Lol

I just reported what i hear on my system.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

He could be having lobing problems with a poorly designed 2-way center channel.

I am talking about sound effects, not vocals. The center channel deals mainly with vocals.

My input is 2 channel pcm stereo and when playing direct mode, the sound is fuller. In 7.1 surround mode, the sound is spread out like a ring around you. By the way i have dual subs running in my left and right corners fed from the LFE output.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Im 29 and Its my first HT setup. So Im not use to anything except TV speakers. Sub should arrive in 2 days, so Its nut setup for it right now. I didn't run EQ check yet either. Im thinking when Its in surround, its accounting for for 5.1 or 7.1 not the 3.0 thatd there right now.

It accounts for what is there. Didn't you go through the setup procedure?

That may answer your question. If you are not telling it you have few than the full set of speakers/channels, it is likely that, with multichannel sources, it is throwing away the other channel information. With stereo sources, nothing is lost (but little is gained).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page