Speaker and Setup advice - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK so I've finally got the OK from the boss to setup the living room. Only had to make some minor sacrifices to what I wanted. I have been going back and forth between what I want and I am now back to my original desires.

After talking to a local Paradigm dealer here I was able to finally get some hands on, or rather ears on, with the speakers I have coveted so much. He put together a package for me and I am mostly just curious what you guys (who know way more than I do, as much as I hate to admit it) think. Do you think this is a good setup for me or would something a little cheaper sound just as good? I will spend the money on a good setup if that's what it takes. Just means I have to wait a little longer which will be hard to do.

Here is what he worked up for me:

Integra DTR-50.3 - $1400

Paradigm Studio 60's for Front L/R - $2400(pair)
Paradigm Studio CC490 for Center - $849
Paradigm Millennia ADP for Rear Surrounds - $1500(pair)
Paradigm Millennia Sub x 2 - $2800 (one for front of room and other for rear)

All in all it's about $7500 which is more than I wanted but worth it I hope. He will also toss in some discounts for getting it all through them, but I wanted to go with retail prices for the sake of this post.

Now the surrounds I wont be getting right away due to cost but in another month or so. He said it would sound better to have 2 subs but what do you guys think? Mostly I like these because they are wireless and I can avoid running wire for them. He mentioned I wouldn't notice a sound difference with the wireless over getting a different sub. I am also going to have to get a wireless setup for the rear surrounds due to layout of the room. I listened to the same speakers with the Integra receiver in their showroom with a wireless setup and it sounded pretty damn good to me. Opinions?

Now here is my other question. Are any of you familiar with the site newaudiovideo.com? They have the speakers I want for much cheaper but I didn't know if they were legit or if I should go that route.

Integra DTR-50.3 - $1400

Paradigm Studio 60's for Front L/R - $1728(pair) -$670
Paradigm Studio CC490 for Center - $612 -$237
Paradigm Millennia ADP for Rear Surrounds - $1080(pair) -$418
Paradigm Millennia Sub x 2 - $2016 -$782

That's a savings of $2107 which would more than pay for the receiver and cables alone. I might add also gets me back down to what I was hoping to spend. Well this is long enough so any insight, comments, or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 709
For the most part - Paradigm does not authorize online sales.
http://www.paradigm.com/where-to-buy/where-to-buy

This is the informatiom, I find under authentic dealer on their site.
http://www.newaudiovideo.com/authent...er-ezp-15.html

There are too many products on that website - so where are they getting
them from. Even Atlantic Technology says, they are not authorized to sell
their products.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I figured it was way too good to be true.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Buying through a local A/V specialty store will always be more expensive than online, but they'll usually provide services which you can't get from an internet reseller. Like free loaners if you have to send something back for repair. Depending on what they have in stock, free loaners for auditioning in your home might be available.

Personally, I have no experience with wireless speakers, but Paradigm is a well regarded brand. How good they sound is what matters. Don't forget that they'll sound somewhat different in your room from how they sounded at the dealer, so you might ask to have an in-home audition before you commit to purchasing those particular speakers. Minor sonic problems are likely to be taken care of by the Audyssey room equalization software in the Integra AVR, of course.

In larger rooms, two subwoofers can help to balance the sound, but you shouldn't assume one will be in the front and one in the back. Their best positions will be determined by the room's acoustics.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page