Fuzz/Hiss coming from new speakers/reciever? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up my audio system consisting of a Denon 4311 Receiver and Klipsch RF-7 II/RC-64 II/2x RS-62 II speakers.

I ran Audyssey and then tried a Blu-ray on my PS3. When I have the speakers at a reasonable volume, there is audible hiss/fuzz coming from all of them.

Is this normal, and if not, can it be corrected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to bump to see if anyone had some tips.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-03-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Never heard an audible hiss on my Def Tech + HK receiver.
Is this heard during playback or when there is silence?
post #4 of 21 Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Never heard an audible hiss on my Def Tech + HK receiver.
Is this heard during playback or when there is silence?

It happens anytime the receiver is on.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have basically the same problem with an onkyo 609 and acoustech pl-76/pl-26.. I got these as a cheaper alternative to klipsch heh. I posted in my speaker owner thread but maybe this will get more attention:

I noticed there's slight hissing with slight crackle, especially from the center.. I can barely hear it but when I put my ear near the center I can hear it easily.. it happens even when I turn off my source(mac mini) and my projector.. I tried switching to stereo listening mode because that disables the center channel but I could still hear it.. what should I be checking? should I re-run the speaker wire from the receiver to the speakers? it's 18 gauge thin wire that came with my htib. i have my onkyo 609 set to dynamic eq enabled, dynamic volume off, ran audyssey and raised crossovers to 80hz.. thx loudness plus on.. could it be one of these settings?
edit: i have them in a small room and audyssey mostly set the speakers like -7db etc.. would I get less hiss if I changed it to louder.. like 0db.. and then I could turn the volume knob lower with the same amount of actual loudness?

should I buy new speaker cables? I don't hear any hiss from my htib front speakers which I'm now using as rears
edit: just ordered some 12 awg cables from bluejeanscable and some banana plugs.. we'll see if this has any effect

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #6 of 21 Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 13
I tested again and in stereo or direct mode, the center channel hiss is gone.. without it, the hiss isn't audible unless i hold my ears up to my front towers.. so it seems like it must be an issue with the speaker.. I guess it's just a hissy speaker

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #7 of 21 Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I tested again and in stereo or direct mode, the center channel hiss is gone.. without it, the hiss isn't audible unless i hold my ears up to my front towers.. so it seems like it must be an issue with the speaker.. I guess it's just a hissy speaker

I have the same speakers and I was getting a hiss when I had a Emotiva XPA-3 connected to the front 3. I was mainly from the RF-7II which I could hear from about 7 ft back. I couldn't hear it from the RC-64 unless my ear was up to it. Increasing the volume didn't make the hiss louder. I ended up taken the XPA-3 out and just use the Pioneed SC-37. If you google, quite a few have reported about the hissing on those speakers. Some people have it and some don't.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouper8 View Post

If you google, quite a few have reported about the hissing on those speakers. Some people have it and some don't.

I interpreted that rather as the speakers being sensitive enough to reveal the hiss from the amplifier.

post #9 of 21 Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRolla View Post

I just set up my audio system consisting of a Denon 4311 Receiver and Klipsch RF-7 II/RC-64 II/2x RS-62 II speakers.

I ran Audyssey and then tried a Blu-ray on my PS3. When I have the speakers at a reasonable volume, there is audible hiss/fuzz coming from all of them.

Sounds like a ground loop issue. Try plugging the Denon into another outlet or use a cheater plug.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #10 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Sounds like a ground loop issue. Try plugging the Denon into another outlet or use a cheater plug.

Before I set Audyssey, I noticed that there is no hum (or it's very slight).

Could it be an issue with the Audyssey calibration?
post #11 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

Before I set Audyssey, I noticed that there is no hum (or it's very slight).

Could it be an issue with the Audyssey calibration?

Not unless Audyssey is boosting the speaker levels so as to expose the "hum" (which I doubt). Did you try the cheater plug? That is an easy way to determine if it is a ground loop issue.

HToM

post #12 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not unless Audyssey is boosting the speaker levels so as to expose the "hum" (which I doubt). Did you try the cheater plug? That is an easy way to determine if it is a ground loop issue.

The Denon Adapter is only two prongs, so not sure if a cheater plug would do anything.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
See if you can exchange it for another unit. I had a Yamaha RX-A3000 that had a loud hiss coming out of one channel but once I replaced the unit it was gone. You are going to get QA issues with any product line.

If it was just one speaker making noise it would be possible it had a defective crossover but if its all channels then its most likely the receiver.

More sensitive speakers can definitely reveal more amp noise, there's going to be a big difference between say 83db and 93db speakers in terms of passive noise.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

See if you can exchange it for another unit. I had a Yamaha RX-A3000 that had a loud hiss coming out of one channel but once I replaced the unit it was gone. You are going to get QA issues with any product line.

If it was just one speaker making noise it would be possible it had a defective crossover but if its all channels then its most likely the receiver.

More sensitive speakers can definitely reveal more amp noise, there's going to be a big difference between say 83db and 93db speakers in terms of passive noise.

All 5 speakers have the noise.

My speakers have a sensitivity of 101dB @ 2.83V / 1m

Is it possible it's simply the high sensitivity of the speakers? I'd hate to go through all of the trouble of exchanging the reciever for it to be the same.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

The Denon Adapter is only two prongs, so not sure if a cheater plug would do anything.

I was afraid of that. It may be the receiver has issues but I still believe it is ground loop related. Have you tested the outlet for proper grounding or tried another one?

HToM

post #16 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have you tried disconnecting all your inputs/source components (PS3,etc.)? Do/did you still hear the hiss/fuzz? Where is your master volume? -10 db, 0 db?
post #17 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I was afraid of that. It may be the receiver has issues but I still believe it is ground loop related. Have you tested the outlet for proper grounding or tried another one?

Try by-passing your Panamax and/or try another AC outlet.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If it's still there when all inputs are disconnected, it sounds like a noisy amp to me.

Also, your preamp/receiver chassis may need to be isolated from ground. My Onkyo PR-SC5508 was that way. The rack mount had insulator washers in it.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Interesting that the Denon 4311 is rated signal-to-noise of 102 dB in DIRECT mode. Sort of implies that is is less quiet in other modes??
post #20 of 21 Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

If it's still there when all inputs are disconnected, it sounds like a noisy amp to me.

Also, your preamp/receiver chassis may need to be isolated from ground. My Onkyo PR-SC5508 was that way. The rack mount had insulator washers in it.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

When the receiver is on and there is no signal going to it (whether no devices are plugged in, or no devices are on) there is no noise.

Does that make a difference?
post #21 of 21 Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Perhaps your interconnects are picking up RF interference. Do you have all of your wiring nice and neat, or does the back of the rack look like a rats nest? Keep your power cords away from the other cables, and if they must cross each other, cross them at 90 degrees. Do not run them side by side.

Start with only the bare minimum components hooked up. Example: nothing hooked up...listen as volume is increased. Hook up one piece, like the DVD player...listen as volume is increased. Continue till something good happens.

A "hum" makes me think ground loop...Hiss/fuzz makes me think RF interference. Ground loop issues can be fixed, sometimes by way of a simple "ground lift" switch like the one on the rear of my processor. Hum/ground loop...plug everything into the same circuit. This is where a good power conditioner comes in handy.

In my experience, sometimes what you are hearing is the noise floor of the equipment, and there is really nothing you can do but live with it. Awful isn't it. I can't speak for or against any manufacturer, but "money does buy you love". A well built component has the potential of running quiet. If you have to put your ear pretty close to the spkr to hear the buzz, it may be something you can live with, being that it will be inaudible while music is playing.

Espo77
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page