Need professional opinion on setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm sure you're as tired of these threads as we get of the same repetition at my car forums.

I have searched quite a bit to learn about some decent speakers but honestly I'm a guy that would have bought Bose just a week ago so I apologize in advance for the pedantic questions.

I have an Onkyo TXNR809 7.2 Receiver.
I have an Epson 3010 projector.
Fixed 110" screen.

The room is the basement, which is rather long and open. The finished side is 15x28.

The part I will call the "rear" of my theater based on seating will be roughly 15 out, so 15x15 effective space though it is ALL open.

Based on my setup above (pricing being noted mainly) I am having trouble deciding which route to go.

I really do not care about looks or size in regards to the speakers, only quality, sound, and price.

So for that reason, I am looking at the Energy RC-Micro and the DefTech ProCinema 1000.

With adding one more sub, and one more set of satellites to get to 7.2, pricing will be double with the DefTech.

Which I don't mind, IF sound is double.

I of course am attracted to the smaller size and much lower price of the Energy (2 full sets including subs would be $798 with speakers left over for backup) but good sound within budget is of primary importance. I don't care that the DefTech are much larger, but are they much better?

If so then it's a no brainer for me, but if they were only...say 20% better by some random rating system then I would easily stay with the cheaper Energy.

Or if I should be looking in some other direction, maybe between the two prices to obtain better overall sound, then I welcome those opinions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
That's a big ass room and a big ass screen and you're looking at itty bitty speakers. Is $800 your budget? I'm sure there are better subwoofer options but your price point is hard to hit.

$1500 Infinity Setup:
2x P363
1x PC350
2x P163
1x PS212
post #3 of 19 Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

That's a big ass room and a big ass screen and you're looking at itty bitty speakers. Is $800 your budget? I'm sure there are better subwoofer options but your price point is hard to hit.

Agreed; big room + small budget = bad experience

You have a large space to fill, and anything other then equivalent speakers will more then likely result in dissatisfaction I'm afraid.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 19 Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I agree with the above posters........ Remember Audio is half of the HT experience so expect to put the same amount of money or more into audio as you did for the video.

You should also spend most of your audio budget on speakers and subs. The Onkyo 809 is a great receiver ( I have the 808 ), but for the amount you wanna spend on speakers that receiver may have been overkill unless you bought a refurb as I did. I only paid $563 for mine.

A "good" sub in my opinion is from internet direct brands such as: Outlaw Audio, SVS, Hsu Research, Epik, Rythmik, etc.... and you should expect to spend about $500 or more on 1 sub so if you really want 2 subs thats $1k right there. And your room is large so 2 $500 subs wouldn't be overkill it will be needed to fill that space with good clean bass. Look at the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus on sale thru tonight only for $499 each delivered. I have 2 and bought them for the same price and love them.

As far as speakers I love my BIC Acoustech set which for all 7 speakers ran me less than $1k and they sound great with amazing vocal clarity and they can play very loud pretty clean. I have 2 - PL-89s, 1 - PL-28, and 4 - PL-66s check them out at acousticsounddesign.com.

Shawn
post #5 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I did get the Onkyo at a great price, $550 as a refurb.

And I don't really have a set budget for speakers, so no $800 isn't tops. I certainly wouldn't want to go over $1500-2K though so some of what was mentioned does fall within that range.

I take it those options are liked better than the ProCinema 1000?

That would have ran me about $1600 for everything.

Thanks again for the help!
post #6 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I found a atlantic tech 2200 5.1 set up for $300 on craigslist that might be able to make some decent sound in that room

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallardoZ06 View Post

That would have ran me about $1600 for everything.

Using towers for the front channels is probably a good idea, but I'm not sure if that fits your lifestyle requirements. Either way, here are a few other potential choices for $1600 and less...
  • Crystal Acoustics TX-T1, TX-B1 and THX-CT. Match that with a nice sub, like the Rythmik FV12 or HSU VTF-1.
  • HTD Level TWO tower, center and surround. That would leave a little more for a sub, so you could get something like the HSU VTF-2.
  • EMP Tek Impression Series 5.1. Just have them delete the sub and buy something a little better.
  • Premier Acoustics PA-6F. See if they'll substitute the PA-150 sub for the PA-120 that comes with the package though. Use coupon code TV15 and you can save 15% more.
  • If you want to go the budget route perhaps the Streem HT-500 would work. That would leave you enough left over to get a really nice sub, like the Epik Empire, Rythmik F15 or HSU VTF-15H.
  • Speaking of HSU... if you want to get a satellite setup instead they have the Hybrid 3 package in 5.1.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Under $2000

HTD Level Three
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...Tower-Speakers
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...hannel-Speaker
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...shelf-Speakers

Sub choices
HSU VTF-2, Rythmik FV12, Epik Legend
And, Outlaw sub on sale
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Also, the Crystal Acoustics from Post #7 looks good.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I did a Def Tech CLR-2002 setup, as left, center and right speakers. They can be had for $250 each at electronics expo. I love this setup. Of course i also have 2 velodyne subs, one each in left and right corners. The subs were $179 each.
For the rear surrounds i went for Def Tech SR-8040BP for @350/pair from electronics expo. I would suggest you stay away from micro speakers.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have been researching each option presented and it's insane just how many there really are. Especially when I know nothing about them.

I have gotten several references to the HSU VTF-2 or Rythmik subs so I will definitely go that route, seems consistent.

Speakers I am still not sure.

I of course want great movie sound, but for music I do like the entire spectrum except country and rap. So I will often listen to piano music, violin and cello, etc then the next song might be a boomy bassy song.

Song 1 may be "Crystallize" by Lindsey Stirling, song 2 may be "Hunter gets captured by the game cover" by Massive Attack. Song 3 may be "Get up" remix by Korn and Skrillex which features Dubstep type electronic music. I am not that into ANY single type (don't really care for dubstep for instance) but like a broad range.

I like "richness" or brightness up high, very clear, very detailed, but don't want it so rich I lose mids or something else in the process.

I don't want to keep changing the parameters for the budget which would skew your opinions, but really there's no difference to me at $1500 or $2400 so it just depends on how incremental the gain is at that point.

I've seen the HTD level 2 and 3 mentioned several times as well as the Crystal Acoustics and Infinity P363.

Among the votes, would you settle on one of these three or based on the slightly higher above $2K price is there anything majorly better? If only slightly better I'd rather save the $800-1K difference and stay at the $1600 range we're talking so far.

Thanks again everyone! I've spent more time on this than picking out all the rest of the home finishes LOL.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^
Focal 716V towers
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-41253-f...eakers-pr.aspx

Focal 700V center
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4927-fo...r-speaker.aspx

If you can not stretch for the 705V
as surrounds - then the SIB
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-41245-f...eakers-pr.aspx
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4905-fo...peaker-pr.aspx

post #12 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Here's the reason I recommend Infinity. It's extremely high value.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok....thanks everyone for the help. I have decided to go with the Infinity.

Based on this recommendation I have a final question so I can get it all ordered:

2x P363 - Done - love the look, ratings, quality, etc. Visually dont' care how the basement looks, all about the sound so towers are fine for me.

1x PC350 - I see the newer model PC351 but it seems like a model year/cosmetic change only, any reason to upgrade for an extra $140?

2x P163 - I see these are pretty cheap, I can get them for $107 shipped each right now on sale. Are these definitely sufficient, or is there any reason to upgrade to something nicer, such as the P363 above for this channel as well?

1x PS212 - For this, I see it has a higher watt rating at 400w than the HSU VTF-2 at 250W so there surely must be more to it for everyone to recommend the VTF-2. Would you definitely recommend the VTF-2 over the PS212 with a $100 price difference? Fine by me if so, just want to be sure I'm reading correctly and I assume it's a matter of reaching the low frequencies, distortion, etc.

Lastly, that only gets me 5.1, I will add a second sub and be 5.2. What should I be using to get to 7.2??

Thanks again!
post #14 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would take the Hsu hands down. They are primarily a sub company. It is their specialty and have a phenomenal reputation for sound quality and customer service.

post #15 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

1x PS212 - For this, I see it has a higher watt rating at 400w than the HSU VTF-2 at 250W so there surely must be more to it for everyone to recommend the VTF-2. Would you definitely recommend the VTF-2 over the PS212 with a $100 price difference? Fine by me if so, just want to be sure I'm reading correctly and I assume it's a matter of reaching the low frequencies, distortion, etc.

Yes. The HSU is a better sub. Sounds like the Infinity does not meet it's rated specs in frequency response and has serious reliability issues. Best to choose from the four subs that zieglj01 listed: HSU VTF-2, Rythmik FV12, Epik Legend, and Outlaw Audio Plus.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #16 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
It doesn't help with your system, but many good systems are built in stages. Buy the best you can afford now with fronts and a center, then when budget allows perhaps fill in with a good sub (or two, given your space), then later surrounds.

That is a big space, and you don't really want to skimp - particularly on subs, as this can make or break your experience.

I'm also with others. While I own Infinity now (purchased almost 13 years ago) unless you're buying their top shelf today there are better options. I have no opinion on those that were mentioned, but Jim Z (zieglj01) has thrown out a couple of options in Focal and HTD that are widely recommended in your price range, and the internet direct sub vendors he listed are definitely the only four you should be looking at.

post #17 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

I've spent more time on this than picking out all the rest of the home finishes LOL.

As do most of us! The time invested now will serve you for many years of enjoyment. Don't rush.

post #18 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've spent more time on this than picking out all the rest of the home finishes LOL.

Welcome to wonderland!

post #19 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

You guys have been an awesome help!

I'll finalize the sub plan now with the HSU and other than figuring out the last two channels to get to 7.2 I should be done.

I agree with taking my time, it's how I do everything that has to last several years!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page