Why is Triad better than B&W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Choosing a brand and a speaker over another ultimately comes down to personal preference. I am interested to hear how others have arrived at this decision. If the goal is best sounding LCR for about $7500, how would Triad gold or platnum compare to B&W 805D and HTM4. Also, recognizing a significant step down in sound quality how do the respective brands in-wall speakers compare to one another. I have listend to B&W as base line, but have not experienced Triad. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

Choosing a brand and a speaker over another ultimately comes down to personal preference. I am interested to hear how others have arrived at this decision. If the goal is best sounding LCR for about $7500, how would Triad gold or platnum compare to B&W 805D and HTM4. Also, recognizing a significant step down in sound quality how do the respective brands in-wall speakers compare to one another. I have listend to B&W as base line, but have not experienced Triad. Thanks

This is really easy and, you answered your own question(s) with your opening sentence. Triad makes great product (as does B&W) and is sold though dealers. Get yourself to a dealer(s) and get a demo(s). Then your (not someone else's) preference will be the determining factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #3 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Depends upon application...........for home theater, Triad hands down!!!!

I've listened to the B&W CT802, 804, 7.3's.......including 802D and 803D.
I was enamored with the CT 802's until I had a listen to Triad Gold Monitors and Gold LCR. Higher sensitivity with the Triads and more pleasing to my ears.

I plan on listening to the Triad Plats and expect them to be exemplary. For the money and quality of sound............I'm heavily leaning Triad.

My second favorite line has been Aerial, namely 9's and 20v's.......................mids are smooth, and the ribbon tweeter in the 20 V's was heavenly!

As stated before, we can guide you in a general direction, but you have to decide for yourself.

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For the price B&W has always been the most overpriced in the industry when you consider their cabinet quality. To me 80% other brands sound better than the B&W house sound.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Which everything you have read and are going to read are all opinion with no facts possible.
When it comes to speakers , there are no right or wrong answers , opinions can be strong but some which actually have experience can carry some weight but not enough for you do decide which is the right way for you to go.

With all that being said the 2 brands you are comparing are excellent choices. For the money either side can argue who is better. I will also offer you my opinion on this matter from personal and professional experience.

B&W probably make hands down the best speakers in the business dollar for dollar. I completely disagree that they are overpriced as they can be magical and I've seen owners first hand with joy in their eyes and hearts after owning them. Years later still have that sparkle in their eyes every time they sit in for a listen.
Up and down their repeated lines over the years , have done nothing short of amazed and dazzled it's owners.
What they also do extremely well is be used as a double duty speaker. They shine for both music and movies. Stong clear tone up and down the scale with accuracy many can''t claim.

Triad is a custom built speaker designed for theater use. They are designed for the custom integrator in mind. They really shine in theater rooms built in and in room. They provide a theater like performance and you pay for it. They also have some of the very best theaters around the world equipped with their speakers and rightfully so.
If you do some research on them you will quickly learn that they are amazing on all levels and you do pay for that performance. Worth every penny I might add.

Both companies require really good gear to go with them with the right amount of power and control. Weaken this part of the chain and neither one of them will provide what that where designed to do.

I can't see going wrong either way here as both speaker companies are remarkable in their own respects. Both have loyal followers and both have earned that.

My only suggestion to lean one way or the other would be if music was my first choice in speakers , I would go with B&W , if theater was my first choice I might lean towards Traid as they offer very custom solutions to custom theater rooms. B&W also have many built in solutions which can be argued can compete with Traid on all levels.

I would not say Traid is better then B&W. I would say B&W can better Traid in many ways but thats an opinion of a professional and should be taken as such.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
You're comparing this:

to this:

There is no comparison here. The Triad Platinums are a *lot* more speaker.

In the interest of full disclosure, I *love* my Platinums:

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #7 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 515
The Triad Platinums are $12600 MSRP whereas the B&W 805s are $5k MSRP. For a more proper comparison you would need to use either the 803 or 802 diamonds, and those would be much more formidable speakers.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Was told that 800s/802s would require alot of power to sound good

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

The OP asked:
Quote:

If the goal is best sounding LCR for about $7500, how would Triad gold or platnum compare to B&W 805D and HTM4.

The Plat's are $7,500 ea. MSRP The better comparison to the B&W 805D's would be the Gold LCR's @ $2,200 ea. MSRP. Still no comparison, IMO:

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #10 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'll take B&W any day.

post #11 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I'll take B&W any day.

than you're stupid.

no im jk ahha have you heard any of the triad models?? The gold LCRs are one of my favorite speakers

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #12 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
AT 8200's seem like a better deal then Triad Gold's...

They can be had for half the price.

post #13 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

AT 8200's seem like a better deal then Triad Gold's...

They can be had for half the price.

I owned the AT 8200e's. Great speaker and a bargain at the price. This forum sells them at a discount and they offer an in-home trial period. Can't go wrong with those!

Craig

Lombardi said it:

post #14 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

yea the Atlantic Tech do seem to be a better deal!

What happened to your 8200's Craig?

post #15 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

than you're stupid.

no im jk ahha have you heard any of the triad models?? The gold LCRs are one of my favorite speakers

No, but heard the 800 Diamond. That was the best speaker I have ever heard. I will have it eventually.

post #16 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I am replacing my LCR B&W 818 in-ceiling speakers and am considering bookshelve sized in-room speakers (perhaps the B&W 805D or the Triad Silver monitors) as well as in-wall speakers (Triad Silver or B&W CWM7.3). I understand the in-room speakers will sound much better than the in-wall speakers. I am curious to know how much. For those who have listed to the Triad Silver in-wall vs in-room, what is the difference?

Also, for those who have listened to the Triad Silver vs B&W CWM7.3, what is your opinion of the two speakers.

I am assuming the Triad are a higher quality speaker. This is based on the assumption that the CWM 7.3 is more directly comparable to the B&W CM line CM8 or CM9 and not the 805D (a higher end model).
post #17 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
OP,

FYI - There's someone selling a fairly new set of Triad Gold LCRs in the forsale section of this forum. Seems like a great deal!

post #18 of 25 Old 05-05-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

yea the Atlantic Tech do seem to be a better deal!

What happened to your 8200's Craig?

I sold them to another forum member. His theater is still under construction, so he hasn't set them up yet.

Lombardi said it:

post #19 of 25 Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

You're comparing this:

to this:

There is no comparison here. The Triad Platinums are a *lot* more speaker.

In the interest of full disclosure, I *love* my Platinums:

Craig

There is also no comparison in price either. A pair of B&w 805s are $5k. A pair of Triad Platimum LR are $17k. That aint comparing apples to apples, for more than triple the price they better go wayyyyyyyyyy deeper. LOL

The OP must be confused if he thinks he can buy a Triad Platinum LCR combo for about $7500? $7500 would barely get you one center, it would get you nowhere near a full LCR combo. A valid comparison is the B&w 805 versus the Triad Silver or Gold monitors with center. The Triad Platinum LCR with no surrounds would cost roughly $24k. Comparing that to a pair of B&w 805's with htm4 center costing $7500 aint apples to apples.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-20-2012, 03:20 AM

My bad, the Triad Platinum LCR combo is only about $19k, not $26k, still near triple the price of the B&w 805's with HTM4 center. Maybe its an apples to grapefruit comparison? Burp
post #21 of 25 Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

For the price B&W has always been the most overpriced in the industry when you consider their cabinet quality. To me 80% other brands sound better than the B&W house sound.

To me 80 percent of the crapola posted on the net about AV stuff is little more than white noise drivel being babbled by knuckleheads who dont even listen to the gear they babble about. Well, make that really more like 90 plus percent.

I ASSume you are an expert cabinet maker who has done vast ASSessments of B&w cabinets? Dont bother answering, I already know the answer, it was a rhetorical question 90 percenter. LOL
post #22 of 25 Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I went back and forth between the Triad Gold LCR's and the Atlantic 8200e's and ended up with the full THX set of the 8200's. Awesome speaker for the price. Like Craig John, if I were to go to the "next level", it would probably be to the Triad Platinums, but that is a steep price increase to what I have now. Another potential would be the Seaton Catalyst 8's (for my room). I'm loving the 8200's, however! Dual SVS PB13 Ultras holding down the bottom end.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
the b&w are prettier smile.gif :P
post #24 of 25 Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

I am replacing my LCR B&W 818 in-ceiling speakers and am considering bookshelve sized in-room speakers (perhaps the B&W 805D or the Triad Silver monitors) as well as in-wall speakers (Triad Silver or B&W CWM7.3). I understand the in-room speakers will sound much better than the in-wall speakers. I am curious to know how much. For those who have listed to the Triad Silver in-wall vs in-room, what is the difference?

Also, for those who have listened to the Triad Silver vs B&W CWM7.3, what is your opinion of the two speakers.

I am assuming the Triad are a higher quality speaker. This is based on the assumption that the CWM 7.3 is more directly comparable to the B&W CM line CM8 or CM9 and not the 805D (a higher end model).

The closest "box" comparison in sound the CWM7.3 is the CM9...as you surmised. I still think the box speaker can sound better due to placement options.

If you look back at the pictures posted you can see the Triads and B&Ws are radically different designs. If you are considering spending the money you owe it to yourself to listen to them both with familiar material to judge which one sounds like what you are after. Of course you want to be sure to compare apples to apples in terms of price unless you are willing to spend considerably more.

B.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

Actually in-wall speakers can sound every bit as good as in-room equivalents. When I was demoing speakers I preferred Triad and Atlantic Technology over B&W. I was looking almost exclusively for home theater, but I am sure they would have been great for music as well. I would vote to stretch to Triad in-walls if you can. Focus your money on the main three and then spend less if you can on surrounds.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page