Speakers ~$10K for rock, alternative and some pop. Not Jazz or Classical. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 411 Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralXTC View Post

+1 on the Focal Electra line. The 1028 or 1038Be's.

I would check them out, and the JBL Array line

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 411 Old 05-07-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
+1 on the JBL Project Array 1400s. I have them, and they are the most realistic-sounding speakers I have ever had/heard. I also have the Array 1500 subs with them -- awesome! Perfect for rock music. The horns are WAY smoother than the Klipsch speakers.
post #33 of 411 Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

The horns are WAY smoother than the Klipsch speakers.

I wasn't aware that Klipsch made only one model.
Or are you talking about all Klipsch speaker in this price range? (Palladim P37F, Klipschorns, Jubilee...)

post #34 of 411 Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1 again on the Golden Ear T2. Sandy has a winner.

Klipsch LaScala is another option.

Dynaudio C1's and JL Audio F112 yet another.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #35 of 411 Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike Miles

post #36 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

The SoundScape 8's come with aset of closed wooden grills (in addition to the standard "open" ones) to completely seal the midrange chamber if you please. The nice thing about their design is you can go full open, sealed or adjust the polyfill inside the chamber to suit your room and tastes. I've heard a lot of the speakers mentioned in this thread, and the SS8 is the speaker I'd go with; it's easily the best speaker I've heard under $16,000 (I'd even take it over the Revel Salon2's).

Where do you live? There's a chance there is a SoundScape owner in your area. It's probably not a pair of SS8's, but the 10's and 12's sound extremely similar.

For what it's worth, I run a pair of Salk's and have a large collection of rock and metal music that I play often (along with classical, jazz, new age, etc). The Salk's rock hard, but as already mentioned, some rock music is compressed and poorly recorded, and a good speaker (no matter what the brand) will not cover those flaws. It's just something to be aware of (I'm sure you already know this, so my apologies for preaching to the choir). The well recorded rock like Joe Satriani, Dream Theater (certain albums), The Eagles, Daryl Stuermer, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, etc sounds amazing, though!

Have you checked out Wyred4Sound for amps and PS Audio or Eastern Electric for DAC choices?

The Salk SS8s are still very high on my list but my list is growing (many on Stereophile's recommended "A" list). I am in the Pensacola Florida area which is fairly close to Mobile Alabama. I concur about recordings, poor will sound poor on good speakers but I have read some recent reviews in Stereophile that indicate some high end speaker can be more unforgiving than others.

I was waiting for the MK II Red Dragons to come out but it is taking forever so may look W4S as I'm very aware of them. Bel Canto looks good but $$$. Whichever, I'm forced to go Class D for now. Thanks for the heads up on DACs, have not chased that yet. I believe if the rest is good enough, amps and DACs do matter.

Thanks for the input!

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #37 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan View Post

If you're alluding to a "neutral" speaker, unfortunately to me that means if a recording is not of high quality - and many rock and pop recordings are NOT of high quality - IMO many times one's listening experience is probably going to be rather unpleasant. -----> this is heavily dependent on 1) one's listening preferences and 2) one's physical hearing system differences e.g. Person "A" may literally be more sensitive to the higher frequencies than Person "B".

Some proof of this is found in the fact that according to several pro audio forums I read, many professionals say that they would never use their studio recording monitors for listening to music for pleasure. Why? Because they reveal TOO much of what's in the recording! To clarify: various distortions from mic preamps, lower quality mixing boards, power supply issues, distortions from external SFX processors, etc. Again, these are people recording the rock/pop genres, not classical or jazz which tend to be recorded with much more care, using very high quality gear, no overly boosted high or low frequencies and especially, little to no signal compression, something which can literally destroy music if used with a heavy hand (some compression can be very useful though in certain situations, so it is not inherently evil).

There are hi-end speakers out there that are built lovingly out of the highest quality materials, have many hours of intense R&D behind their design and have awesome customer support......but IMO are intentionally designed to NOT dig deeply into every recording for the reasons described above. I would list some of those brands, but don't want to start an argument in the OP's thread.

Well articulated! I want great but my music choices make me wary of the super revealing studio monitor type. Totally understand bad recordings will sound worse on good speakers (I use Boz Scaggs, Silk Degrees as the demo for this or just about any older Rolling Stones CDs are tough to take, like they could not afford state of the art?) .

I would like to know which are considered ultra revealing and unforgiving.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #38 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

A Marketing winner maybe......Its just another Def tech spinoff speaker, and its made pretty cheap. I'd consider it a typical full range speaker with a cheap build in powered "sub" in a consumer field loaded with them.

Something tells me that besides great sound, the OP wants great build quality/elegance too......not all "high end" or great sounding speakers are built with nice materials and play the part in terms of aesthetics.

I look at it this way....if your going to spend the amount of money that you can get a nice used car for, or a new subcompact car for that matter, I would hope it has some nice touches in the build dept. too. Like real wood accents, or veneer, high quality terminals, drivers(like ones that are ROUND )etc. be used.

Jim......My opinion, go invest a few hundred bucks in a Dayton Omnimic, think about picking up something like a Behringer DCX2496 or similiar and play around with your XQ speakers in active mode, learn to really tune them to the room where you can get a better understanding of your own rooms accoustics, your own ears preference(ability to set independantly levels for the left and right tweeter/midrange/woofer assemblies seperately, along with accurately EQing them and time aligning the drivers independantly as well) and before you dump that kind of cash, and see just how much more your XQ's are capable of, I would almost garentee you a completely new experience with what you currently have in a positive manner giving you a whole new light on the meaning "high end" sound. You can spend a few hundred bucks and have your current speakers sound significantly better than anything thats been listed as recommendations regardless of source,DAC, amplification, etc listed.
post #39 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

The Salk SS8s are still very high on my list but my list is growing (many on Stereophile's recommended "A" list). I am in the Pensacola Florida area which is fairly close to Mobile Alabama. I concur about recordings, poor will sound poor on good speakers but I have read some recent reviews in Stereophile that indicate some high end speaker can be more unforgiving than others.

I was waiting for the MK II Red Dragons to come out but it is taking forever so may look W4S as I'm very aware of them. Bel Canto looks good but $$$. Whichever, I'm forced to go Class D for now. Thanks for the heads up on DACs, have not chased that yet. I believe if the rest is good enough, amps and DACs do matter.

Thanks for the input!

I wouldn't take Stereophile's recommendations to heart; just look at their highly rated speakers, then look at the measurements. Big magazines can be swayed by marketing dollars, and what do you think happens if that magazine gives a poor review of a manufacturer feeding them marking $$$? The measurements are the only thing you should be paying attention to as far as the magazines are concerned.

A speaker that is more forgiving of recordings is usually a highly flawed speaker. You need to decide if you want a flawed speaker or one that portrays the recording accurately. Which you choose should only be decided by you, as you might like a speaker with flaws for various reasons. If you want accuracy, though, use the measurements to help tell the story, especially if you cannot listen to the speaker. A flawed speaker may sound okay with poorer recordings, but it's not going to compare to an accurate speaker when playing good recordings.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #40 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
If I were in the market for megabuck speakers, I'd probably buy a pair of Infinity p363s and compare them to whatever speakers were in the hunt. I think it would be an enlightening comparison.
post #41 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't take Stereophile's recommendations to heart; just look at their highly rated speakers, then look at the measurements. Big magazines can be swayed by marketing dollars, and what do you think happens if that magazine gives a poor review of a manufacturer feeding them marking $$$? The measurements are the only thing you should be paying attention to as far as the magazines are concerned.

A speaker that is more forgiving of recordings is usually a highly flawed speaker. You need to decide if you want a flawed speaker or one that portrays the recording accurately. Which you choose should only be decided by you, as you might like a speaker with flaws for various reasons. If you want accuracy, though, use the measurements to help tell the story, especially if you cannot listen to the speaker. A flawed speaker may sound okay with poorer recordings, but it's not going to compare to an accurate speaker when playing good recordings.

Yep Stereophile and all those other magazine reviews are nothing more than paid advertisements. The mfg's PAY for those reviews.....there is ALOT of politics that go on behind the scenes in the AV industry.

Which is why I highly recommend getting a good PRO AUDIO processor/speaker management unit......like the one mentioned by Behringer, or from other companies like DBX, or Rane, QSC etc........the REAL HIGH END equipment is in the Pro Audio field in many respects. A nice properly implemented speaker managment processor will do worlds more for your speaker choice, room accoustics and listening tastes over any supposedly high end DAC, redbook player, cabling, fancy Class A biased amp etc.........which is why I think you should do some experimenting and research with your own equipment to start for a much smaller and easy on the wallet investment. Grab yourself a good speaker management processor, a few cheap(cheap in terms of dollars) monoblocks and run your current XQ speakers fully active and see what they are really capable of.
post #42 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with checking out the SoundScapes though I have sealed M7 version with a 18" LMS sub. They are amongst the best speakers I have heard. Perfect midrange and tweeters. The RAAL tweet & Accuton mid are the perfect combination. They are fantastic on all material...

I also have the Paradigm Sig S8's as well.... These are also excellent, though they shine better on some material then other and can handle much more power and have more output then the Salks even when crossed over to subs - which IMO is the best way to handle bass, you will not be restricted by placement of the towers...
post #43 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I agree with checking out the SoundScapes though I have sealed M7 version with a 18" LMS sub. They are amongst the best speakers I have heard. Perfect midrange and tweeters. The RAAL tweet & Accuton mid are the perfect combination. They are fantastic on all material...

I also have the Paradigm Sig S8's as well.... These are also excellent, though they shine better on some material then other and can handle much more power and have more output then the Salks even when crossed over to subs - which IMO is the best way to handle bass, you will not be restricted by placement of the towers...

Id have to say if going with the Accuton mid/RAAL tweeter combo, the OP could do better than the Soundscapes for nearly a grand less by going with the 7R's from Clearwave. CLassic 2 way design, especially in the critical midrange region, less xover components etc. And they give you the option as well of a dual bamboo ply/1" thick hardwood veneer option......no MDF at all. Built like a tank, all sides 2" thick including front baffle the cabinets do not resonate at all. They also give you the option of 2 sets of direct out input terminals if you want to run fully active, which is a nice touch for those who don't want passive xover's inline. I had a chance to hear these in NY last weekend. With a nice sub, these are impressive in sound and especially build quality. I could actually see someone forking over $3-4k for a pair of these monitors. I liked them alot................though I still don't think the RAAL tweeter is the be all/end all for HF reproduction as some would give you the impression, but I do think the Accuton midrange driver is fantastic un EQ'd, very flat, very accurate, very revealing.
post #44 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

Id have to say if going with the Accuton mid/RAAL tweeter combo, the OP could do better than the Soundscapes for nearly a grand less by going with the 7R's from Clearwave. CLassic 2 way design, especially in the critical midrange region, less xover components etc. And they give you the option as well of a dual bamboo ply/1" thick hardwood veneer option......no MDF at all. Built like a tank, all sides 2" thick including front baffle the cabinets do not resonate at all. They also give you the option of 2 sets of direct out input terminals if you want to run fully active, which is a nice touch for those who don't want passive xover's inline. I had a chance to hear these in NY last weekend. With a nice sub, these are impressive in sound and especially build quality. I could actually see someone forking over $3-4k for a pair of these monitors. I liked them alot................though I still don't think the RAAL tweeter is the be all/end all for HF reproduction as some would give you the impression, but I do think the Accuton midrange driver is fantastic un EQ'd, very flat, very accurate, very revealing.

They look nicely built, Raal with 7" Accutron woofer, but the SS M7 is only a few hundred more and is a 3-way. May be more money in the cabinets vs more in the drivers with the Salk.
post #45 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

They look nicely built, Raal with 7" Accutron woofer, but the SS M7 is only a few hundred more and is a 3-way. May be more money in the cabinets vs more in the drivers with the Salk.

I consider more drivers to be a detractor. Means more passive xover parts in the signal path. Also means dispersion pattern will be less uniform.

Not saying the M7 isnt a great sounding speaker, Im sure it is, but I'm a minimalist, prefers less or no xover parts and as few drivers as possible to cover the bulk of the frequency spectrum.

The 7R's were the first monitors in a long time to make me have to think hard about plunking down cash and were very close in SQ to my modded/active driven XQ20's. From me, thats high praise, they were fantastic sounding stock with no signal processing. A pair of those and a quality pair of subs would be a first class sounding setup.
post #46 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

If I were in the market for megabuck speakers, I'd probably buy a pair of Infinity p363s and compare them to whatever speakers were in the hunt. I think it would be an enlightening comparison.

I also have the P362 in my living room. They sound great when compared to the B&W, Paradigm, PSB, Krell, Martin Logan, Klipsch, NHT speakers speakers I've heard at 90dB or less.

But the P362 don't sound great when compared to the Philharmonic 3, KEF Reference, Revel Ultima, Orion, RBH T2, DefTech BP7001SC & BP7000SC.
post #47 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I consider more drivers to be a detractor. Means more passive xover parts in the signal path. Also means dispersion pattern will be less uniform.

Not saying the M7 isnt a great sounding speaker, Im sure it is, but I'm a minimalist, prefers less or no xover parts and as few drivers as possible to cover the bulk of the frequency spectrum.

The 7R's were the first monitors in a long time to make me have to think hard about plunking down cash and were very close in SQ to my modded/active driven XQ20's. From me, thats high praise, they were fantastic sounding stock with no signal processing. A pair of those and a quality pair of subs would be a first class sounding setup.

Still, if you want a nicely built 2-way, the Vapor Cirrus is an option and is a bit less money. Raal, AT 7" Woofer.
Anyway, this thread is about 10k speakers, so we're getting off topic.
post #48 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

I don't.
Quote:

They also have one of the best crossover designers on the planet behind them.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #49 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Liked: 12
I think with the kind of music you like you need to audition anything from Salk line before buying. While they are great speakers I would get your favorite CDs and have a listen before you pull the plug. Talk to Jim Salk and he will find some1 in your area that can demo his speakers, they all share the same voicing...
post #50 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Train, I was suggesting the GE T2 since I have listened to them at CES and CEDIA and yes think there would be some crossover with DefTech sine Sandy Gross was one of the founders? What is a speaker management system you refer too? I too love pro gear. In thevpast I have used QSC and Face Audio amps and loved them.

TechGuy, good catch on the RBH T2. I use own to own a pair about 6-7 yrs ago.

Mike Miles

post #51 of 411 Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Far too often certain brands of speakers are recommended without taking into account the types of music or environment they will go in. So I think it's good that his musical intentions are posted.
post #52 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Train, I was suggesting the GE T2 since I have listened to them at CES and CEDIA and yes think there would be some crossover with DefTech sine Sandy Gross was one of the founders? What is a speaker management system you refer too? I too love pro gear. In thevpast I have used QSC and Face Audio amps and loved them.

TechGuy, good catch on the RBH T2. I use own to own a pair about 6-7 yrs ago.

Alot more in common with Deftech than you could know. The entire speaker, components etc are built in the same Chinese factories. Regardless of how some think they sound, they are just built dirt cheap with really cheap materials and components, just like Deftech.

As for Pro Audio gear......at the budget end you have something like the Behringer DCX2496, which allows you to do 3 configurable inputs in/to a total of 6 configurable outputs(So left, right and sub channels input into for example L&R highs, midrange, and L&R sub out), along with time delay for each output, and independent parametric EQing for each output and fully adjustable xovers for each output(any slope you can imaging from 6-48db and any frequency range, high,band,low pass).

This is an inexpensive piece that alot of people love to pick up start with.....its also the stock unit that comes with Emerald Physics active speakers. Its also popular with the modders too.

Then there are more expensive units like Rane's AC23s/DEQ60L combo, basically a seperate Xover/EQ arrangement.

Or the DBX Driverack 260, 4800, 4820........just good examples to start you off on, all differing in features and budget.
post #53 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Still, if you want a nicely built 2-way, the Vapor Cirrus is an option and is a bit less money. Raal, AT 7" Woofer.
Anyway, this thread is about 10k speakers, so we're getting off topic.

Its quite on topic, I assume the OP knows that spending $10k does not garentee better SQ or even build quality for that matter. Ive seen $1k speakers built as well if not better than $5-10k counterparts......price doesnt garentee you anything in the AV field. Its an illusion as to what your really getting.

Too many comapnines in this hobby always base marketing "performance" to price, many times in connection with paid forms of advertisements and "awards"(Yeah "awards" are based on marketing $$$ too. And you won't see speakers without paid advertising dollars getting any awards for their real SQ ability ).

For example those "Golden Ear" speakers love using marketing jargon to state how you don't have to spend $10k or even $5k to get great high end sound. Well, they are right in that respect, but they use it to help them maneuver and sell people on the fact that their rediculous $2500 pricetag is justified, when in fact those speakers themselves in reality are really cheaply built and would still be a big profitmaker well under $1k. Hell, plenty of speakers better built and better sounding than those even at half or less of the pricepoint of their retail.
post #54 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Far too often certain brands of speakers are recommended without taking into account the types of music or environment they will go in. So I think it's good that his musical intentions are posted.

You think so? I don't feel that way at all. In general, people just recommend what they own, no matter what the circumstances. I think there has been a good discussion here (with the OP himself) about the quality of music and what a flawed and well designed speaker will do with various recordings. The best thing to do is buy an accurate speaker, then treat the room and finally use other various components and techniques (perhaps EQ) to tweak the sound to your liking. You can fix a flaw in the room, and you can even attempt to fix a flawed recording using software, but you cannot fix a flawed speaker. jima4a should really put in the research and listening time (if possible), as dropping 10K on speakers is a big deal in my opinion. There are a bunch of well respected brands that design "accurate," well measuring speakers, but in the end they need to sound good first and foremost, especially with Rock music in this case. Some great brands are:

Dynaudio
Revel
Linkwitz Orion
Evolution Acoustics
Acoustic Zen
Salk
Focal
Kef
Seaton Sound

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #55 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:

You think so? I don't feel that way at all. In general, people just recommend what they own, no matter what the circumstances. I think there has been a good discussion here (with the OP himself) about the quality of music and what a flawed and well designed speaker will do with various recordings. The best thing to do is buy an accurate speaker, then treat the room and finally use other various components and techniques (perhaps EQ) to tweak the sound to your liking. You can fix a flaw in the room, and you can even attempt to fix a flawed recording using software, but you cannot fix a flawed speaker.

Your contradicting yourself. Your stating that you cannot fix a "flawed" speaker, yet you talk about using "techniques" to tweak the sound.

Maybe you should define what a flawed speaker is? Is it a product that has some natural frequency bumps and dips in its in room response curve? Is it one built of specific materials? I think you need to define the term flawed speaker...............because that would mean if a speaker is not flawed, then it must be perfect?

And if you can fix a flaw in the room, why exactly can't you fix a flaw in the speaker per definition?
post #56 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your contradicting yourself. Your stating that you cannot fix a "flawed" speaker, yet you talk about using "techniques" to tweak the sound.

Maybe you should define what a flawed speaker is? Is it a product that has some natural frequency bumps and dips in its in room response curve? Is it one built of specific materials? I think you need to define the term flawed speaker...............because that would mean if a speaker is not flawed, then it must be perfect?

And if you can fix a flaw in the room, why exactly can't you fix a flaw in the speaker per definition?

I am not contradicting myself; you're simply not comprehending what I stated. If you do not understand how you can change the sound using various components and EQ, or what a flawed speaker is based on measurements, perhaps you should read up on speaker design and room acoustics, and study terms such as frequency response (on and off-axis), polar response, sound power, decay, resonance, etc. I highly recommend Floyd Toole's new book.
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduc...6570503&sr=8-1

Knowing your reputation here on the forums, I won't be giving you anymore time unless it relates directly to the OP's thread. You've taken way too many threads off track already, usually with unbacked claims, personal attacks and intentional argumentative posts. Please stay on topic.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #57 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:

I am not contradicting myself; you're simply not comprehending what I stated. If you do not understand how you can change the sound using various components and EQ, or what a flawed speaker is based on measurements, perhaps you should read up on speaker design and room acoustics, and study terms such as frequency response (on and off-axis), polar response, sound power, decay, resonance, etc. I highly recommend Floyd Toole's new book.
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduc...6570503&sr=8-1

Knowing your reputation here on the forums, I won't be giving you anymore time unless it relates directly to the OP's thread. You've taken way too many threads off track already, usually with unbacked claims, personal attacks and intentional argumentative posts. Please stay on topic.

LOL! In other words your just avoiding the question.

So again, give me specific examples of a flawed speaker. You state you cannot "fix" a flawed speaker. Why not? If you can "fix" a room which is by definition technically a part of the accoustic environment, then why can't you fix a speaker as well per se?

Again your contradicting yourself by stating you can change sound via various components like an EQ......isn't that such a component that can also "fix" a speaker?

Speaker "measurements" are very easy to alter through "techniques and components"(which states your just contradicting yourself afterall). But again though, maybe you should give some examples to us all on what specifically a flawed speaker is. Because if a speaker is without flaw, then your are saying it is perfect to begin with. The definition of perfect is "without flaw".

Personal attacks, Ive never made, but debate and question what is stated, yes I have. You made the comment above, so I am questioning your reasoning and asking for an answer. If you can't answer it with ease without getting your feathers ruffled, then maybe you should go back and edit/delete what you stated. Your making a claim.......so "back it up" please, and don't be hypocritical about it.

Ill make it simple, give me an example of a good fundamental speaker that has some percieved audible "flaws", and Ill state how it can be "fixed".
post #58 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Just as an example, how about a speaker with poor off-axis response, how do you fix that?
post #59 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Just as an example, how about a speaker with poor off-axis response, how do you fix that?

Very good example.......but Ill ask a few questions before answering: Is the entire frequency range off axis poor and uneven or non existant? Or just specific frequency beaming? Does the off axis response even matter if the speaker sounds great at the listening positions? Some speakers by design have poor off axis response(Take Magnepan's for example). So again your asking a bit of a loaded question that needs a bit more clarification.

The speaker has poor off axis response, you want it to be fixed, but how specifically is the poor off axis response affecting your listening enjoyment and the feedback from the speakers specifically? Poor off axis response does not necessarily mean a flaw, especially if the speaker was designed in a specific fashion knowing off axis response would be poor.
post #60 of 411 Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Train, that is what I thought an active crossover/eq with some DSP. QSC makes a unit to some guys manipulate subs with. Now I also agree with you that eq, Audessey, ARC, Trinnov etc to fix the room it does indeed affect the speakers based on what is fed to them since the speaker is the final link in the chain.

Now not to debate your inside track info at GE or DefTec those Chineese parts still sounded good to me. Many US Brands use Chineese drivers but have not reduced pricing...

Mike Miles

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page