Amping a passive backyard subwoofer and speaker placement suggestions needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

I just purchased a new home and wish to add a backyard system. I'm looking for suggestions on speaker placement. I'm currently looking at the following configurations;

Option number 1:
- four 6.5" rock speakers placed at each corner of the backyard, all firing toward the middle of the yard
- one rock or omni sub

Option number 2:
- two 6.5" rock speakers in the far corners of the backyard, both firing toward the center of the yard
- two 6.5" patio speakers mounted to the home, both firing into the backyard
- one rock or omni sub

Now, either option will be powered by a seperate amplifier providing power to all four speakers. Is it possible to power the passive sub with the same amplifier provinding the amp has enough channels to do so?

Can you provide me with some feedback on my speaker placement options on which you guys think will work best?

Also, which sub would you guys think would provide me with the best low end response, a 10" 150 watt rock sub or an 8" 250 watt omni sub which I could partially bury in the ground??

Finally, do you guys have any suggestions as to what amp I could use that would have enough juice to power up this small backyard system?? (the amp would get connected to and get its sources from my Onkyo tx-nr3007).

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Come on guys, 96 views and not a single peep or comment. Please help!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Based on what I know about sub theory, I wouldn't expect much out of either sub unless you are sitting almost directly next to it. And you would need a separate amplifier for a passive sub.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

One review that I read on Amazon was that the subwoofer, a TIC GS50, was pretty low in volume when it was connected as recommended by TIC and when was amped it sounded like paper flapping in the wind.

Anyone else have any opinions on backyard subwoofers? Is it even worth me getting one?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I have a POS Audiosource 8" powered woofer that's been on my covered patio for the last eight years. It's lasted through rain, fog, gloom of night, heat, humidity, cold, one hurricane (brought it in for the other two) and still performs amazingly well. It's really surprising how great bass sounds when there are no boundaries.

FWIW I also have four outdoor speakers under the eaves of the patio that I'm driving w/ an Audiosource Amp 100. This can easily be heard 75 feet away when in the garden.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

I have a POS Audiosource 8" powered woofer that's been on my covered patio for the last eight years. It's lasted through rain, fog, gloom of night, heat, humidity, cold, one hurricane (brought it in for the other two) and still performs amazingly well. It's really surprising how great bass sounds when there are no boundaries.

FWIW I also have four outdoor speakers under the eaves of the patio that I'm driving w/ an Audiosource Amp 100. This can easily be heard 75 feet away when in the garden.

Is your AudioSource sub a dedicated outdoor sub? Also, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the AudioSource Amp 100 was not big enough on power to amp four outdoor speakers. Can anyone confirm this?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post

Anyone? Come on guys, 96 views and not a single peep or comment. Please help!

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions but I do want to say that there's a good chance that most of the views of your post are most likely google's search engine spiders.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page