Speaker recommendation??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey everyone,

just wanted to get some opinions on some good bookshelf speakers in the 250-350 price range (pair). i will be using them mostly for music, but as well as movies (probably 70/30).

other info of setup:

just recently bought a marantz sr8001 receiver
and thinking of getting the hsu stf 2 subwoofer (unless you have any other suggestions). oh, and what do you think of the monoprice 12" subwoofer, i saw it was only 84 bucks, but that sounds kind of iffy.

thanks in advance.
marcmedz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmedz View Post

hey everyone,

just wanted to get some opinions on some good bookshelf speakers in the 250-350 price range (pair). i will be using them mostly for music, but as well as movies (probably 70/30).

other info of setup:

just recently bought a marantz sr8001 receiver
and thinking of getting the hsu stf 2 subwoofer (unless you have any other suggestions). oh, and what do you think of the monoprice 12" subwoofer, i saw it was only 84 bucks, but that sounds kind of iffy.

thanks in advance.


I wouldn't bother with the monoprice sub. The HSU is very good, especially with a music preference. You can get a pair of their very nice HB1 speakers packaged with the STF2 for $50 off

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value2pkg.html
Jay1 is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
There are no bookshelf speakers I would call good-sounding for that price.

There are several in the $400-500 price range, including the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2.

I suggest that you consider the KEF iQ30, which was $599 but is only $399/pair now at KEF Direct. That is an outstanding deal on a good speaker.

If you can't afford that, the Polk Monitor 40 is fairly good, and available for less than $200/pair.

The cheapest subwoofer that I know of that can actually be called a subwoofer is the Polk PSW505, which runs around $250. Anything with less than a 12-inch driver and 300 watts of RMS power is a joke, IMO.




Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmedz View Post

hey everyone,

just wanted to get some opinions on some good bookshelf speakers in the 250-350 price range (pair). i will be using them mostly for music, but as well as movies (probably 70/30).

other info of setup:

just recently bought a marantz sr8001 receiver
and thinking of getting the hsu stf 2 subwoofer (unless you have any other suggestions). oh, and what do you think of the monoprice 12" subwoofer, i saw it was only 84 bucks, but that sounds kind of iffy.

thanks in advance.

commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 329
As to the above^^^^^ The HSU speakers mentioned by Jay1 are better and a far better value than any mentioned ^^^^^^^ especially the shrill, thin, veiled Polk monitors.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #5 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The legendary Ascend CBM-170 ain't good sounding?
Veda is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Member
 
jjlee138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seconded about the sub. The only entry level subs worth looking at are the Polk-PSW505 and the Bic F-12. There may be something else creeping around out there that is as good, but it doesn't have the years of service and countless testimonies to back it up.
jjlee138 is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

There are no bookshelf speakers I would call good-sounding for that price.

There are several in the $400-500 price range, including the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2.

I suggest that you consider the KEF iQ30, which was $599 but is only $399/pair now at KEF Direct. That is an outstanding deal on a good speaker.

If you can't afford that, the Polk Monitor 40 is fairly good, and available for less than $200/pair.

The cheapest subwoofer that I know of that can actually be called a subwoofer is the Polk PSW505, which runs around $250. Anything with less than a 12-inch driver and 300 watts of RMS power is a joke, IMO.



Seems like there's a lot of half cocked opinions floating around in this thread...

The polk sub is nothing special compared to the STF2
Quote:


20 Hz 65.5 dB 10-12% fluctuating
22 Hz 68.0 dB 10-12% fluctuating
25 Hz 76.0 dB 10.4%
32 Hz 90.2 dB 10.5%
40 Hz 101.5 dB 10.2 %
50 Hz 104.1 dB 9.8%
63 Hz 105.9 dB 10.1%
80 Hz 103.8 dB 10.2%

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html
Note the drop from 40 to 30hz

Quote:


STF-2 10% THD Ground Plane 2 Meters (add 6 dB to obtain 1 meter values):

20 Hz: 74.7 dB
22 Hz: 80.9 dB
25 Hz: 91.7 dB
32 Hz: 99.5 dB
40 Hz: 98.8 dB
50 Hz: 104.8 dB
63 Hz: 106.9 dB
80 Hz: 104.7 dB

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/18...er-test-review

Look at the below 40hz numbers... Also both subs are basically the same as far as output above 40hz...

How exactly are the HB1's, or as Veda mentioned, CBM170's not good speakers? Please explain...
Jay1 is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oh nice, thanks guys for all the suggestions wasnt expecting so many opinions in such a short time. about that monoprice sub, yeah i wasnt expecting any support for it haha, besides im pretty stuck on that hsu stf 2 sub anyway.

however that bic f12 sounds nice and is a lot cheaper than the hsu. what do you guys think of that comparison? any more insight.

if the bic f12 is as good as mentioned than maybe i can use the money saved towards the purchase of the kef iq30's because those seem pretty nice. what is everyone's opinion on the kef iq30's? also what about the kef iq30's vs the ascend cbm 170. any and all opinions are welcome, im trying to get as much info as possible.

possible setups:

1. bic f12
kef iq30

2. bic f12
ascend cbm 170

3. hsu stf 2
kef iq30

4. hsu stf 2
ascend cbm 170

5. hsu stf 2
hsu hb 1 mk2

6. and of course any other suggestions

thanks everyone for your contributions, appreciate it.

oh and what about the infinity primus 163 speakers, any good?

one more thing, i was reading on another forum about the bic acoustech pl200, how is that compared to the hsu stf 2?
marcmedz is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nothing else from anybody, would really appreciate it.
marcmedz is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmedz View Post

nothing else from anybody, would really appreciate it.

Go with #4 or #5

With KEF I would prefer the new Q series, over the IQ series

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #11 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

go with #4 or #5

+1
Jay1 is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Member
 
turnst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Between #4 and #5, which one? i'm interested as well.
turnst is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks guys. so those ascend speakers are pretty good huh?

what is difference between the SE and non SE?

cuz on ebay there is a pair for 239, but most likely not SE edition. i mean it doesnt say SE but you know sometimes people forget little things like that.

so you guys agree that the ascends are better than kef iq's.
marcmedz is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what do you guys think of the Energy RC-10 speakers compared to the ascend and kef iq30 speakers?

anyone who has experience with these speakers, your input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
marcmedz is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
now im really thinking about the kef iq30's, would anyone care to deter me from purchasing these? opinions?
marcmedz is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maxcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmedz View Post

now im really thinking about the kef iq30's, would anyone care to deter me from purchasing these? opinions?

Is there anywhere local that you could audition any speakers in the IQ line? Even if it isn't the IQ30 model specifically, it would give you an idea of how that line of speakers sounds to see if it is to your liking.

Alternately, consider auditioning a couple of different speakers in your home at the same time (CBM-170SE, IQ30, HB-1, RC-10, P163, ...), and return the ones you decide not to keep. Be sure to review the return policy, including return shipping, how long you have, and any restocking fees. Even if you have to pay return shipping, it might be worth that minor expense to be able to hear a few different speakers that you are interested in in your own home.

-Max
maxcooper is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Member
 
jjlee138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Seems like there's a lot of half cocked opinions floating around in this thread...

The polk sub is nothing special compared to the STF2

You seem completely oblivious that you're comparing a $400+ (With shipping) sub to a $190 sub (Amazon and Newegg consistently have sales on it). Btw, the STF2 is nothing special compared to a JTR Cap. lol
jjlee138 is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

Is there anywhere local that you could audition any speakers in the IQ line? Even if it isn't the IQ30 model specifically, it would give you an idea of how that line of speakers sounds to see if it is to your liking.

Alternately, consider auditioning a couple of different speakers in your home at the same time (CBM-170SE, IQ30, HB-1, RC-10, P163, ...), and return the ones you decide not to keep. Be sure to review the return policy, including return shipping, how long you have, and any restocking fees. Even if you have to pay return shipping, it might be worth that minor expense to be able to hear a few different speakers that you are interested in in your own home.

-Max


would if i could max. thanks for the advice though.
marcmedz is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Webomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wharfedale 10.1's are in your price range @ $350pr
Webomatic is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlee138 View Post

You seem completely oblivious that you're comparing a $400+ (With shipping) sub to a $190 sub (Amazon and Newegg consistently have sales on it). Btw, the STF2 is nothing special compared to a JTR Cap. lol

Quote:


Anything with less than a 12-inch driver and 300 watts of RMS power is a joke, IMO.

Quote:


Seconded about the sub. The only entry level subs worth looking at are the Polk-PSW505 and the Bic F-12

With the bundle that I linked the STF2 is $300 + $43sh. The performance data shows it's worth $100 more then the PSW505. Do I need to bring out the F12 data to show it's worth $150 more


Yes bringing a captivator into the conversation is relevant, and makes sense. OP can definitely drop this $6-700 setup idea and go with a $2k one
Jay1 is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webomatic View Post

Wharfedale 10.1's are in your price range @ $350pr

would you take those over the kef iq30 and ascend cbm 170se?

thanks for the suggestion by the way.
marcmedz is offline  
post #22 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do they have to be bookshelfs? If not I'd recommend some Fluance towers

http://www.fluance.com/allproducts.html

I've got the XL7F and they are amazing, got them on offer for $300, the other good ones are the ES-1's and SV10's (based on what other have said, I've not heard either). Fluance is king of budget IMO

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1407690
matteos is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

Do they have to be bookshelfs? If not I'd recommend some Fluance towers

http://www.fluance.com/allproducts.html

I've got the XL7F and they are amazing, got them on offer for $300, the other good ones are the ES-1's and SV10's (based on what other have said, I've not heard either). Fluance is king of budget IMO

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1407690

hey thanks for the suggestion, but yeah im leaning more towards bookshelfs beacuse of their easy portability, as well as the fact that i live in a small apartment.

also im used to my bothers 2.1 setup which consist of two infinity rs bookshelf speakers, and they sound fine to me, so im sure many of the speakers recommended in this thread would be a great improvement (i think ).

besides im not this big time audiophile/home theater aficionado, im just looking for a nice little setup to listen to music and watch movies (but of course still want the good stuff FOR MY PRICE RANGE).

i hope this doesnt put off anyone from making suggestions, just try not to go too much over the price range. thanks again.
marcmedz is offline  
post #24 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Member
 
jjlee138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

With the bundle that I linked the STF2 is $300 + $43sh. The performance data shows it's worth $100 more then the PSW505. Do I need to bring out the F12 data to show it's worth $150 more


Yes bringing a captivator into the conversation is relevant, and makes sense. OP can definitely drop this $6-700 setup idea and go with a $2k one

Irrelevant, and subs $150 more than the STF2 are worth $150 more than the STF2. For the price range of $200 the PSW505 and the Bic F12 are great entry level deals. If you let "budget creep" into every component of your system it ends up out of control. If your line is drawn at entry level components for most people it starts here. If you're saying that to you entry level starts at the $350 price range then you have a valid argument. Here's a thread with 2,500 posts that says the F12 if a viable entry level sub.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...116093&page=84
jjlee138 is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlee138 View Post

Irrelevant, and subs $150 more than the STF2 are worth $150 more than the STF2. For the price range of $200 the PSW505 and the Bic F12 are great entry level deals. If you let "budget creep" into every component of your system it ends up out of control. If your line is drawn at entry level components for most people it starts here. If you're saying that to you entry level starts at the $350 price range then you have a valid argument. Here's a thread with 2,500 posts that says the F12 if a viable entry level sub.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...116093&page=84

Your entire argument from start to finish is irrelevant. OP is looking for a 2.1 setup at no more then $700 total for the speakers and sub based off his original post. You are not arguing that speakers costing $100 more then what I recommend (HB1, CBM170) are so much better that he should only be considering a $200 sub are you? Why should the OP not spend $100-$150 more on the sub if it's within his budget and performance level exactly?

Please don't try to throw an F12 owners thread at me as proof of anything I've been on this forum long enough, maybe you'll figure out how owners threads work one day.

Go find the 10% THD measurements of that sub if you want to compare it to the proven performance of the STF2.
Jay1 is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, well thanks guys, appreciate your opinions. its going to be a hard choice.
marcmedz is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Member
 
jm86wvu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ocmd
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's all going to come down to your ears. I'd pick up your #4 and #5 choices and send back the speakers you like less. Yeah, you'll have to eat a couple of bucks on return shipping but you'll get the speakers you want. No second guessing.
jm86wvu is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Member
 
khankewycz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have no dog in this fight. So let me just say this.

I would not skimp on sub if you forsee wanting to keep this setup for a while. F12 does have a lot of lovers and it's better than the monoprice sub. (The monoprice sub is cheap, but a review has said that's for a reason, and wait to see what they charge for shipping.. it's enough to buy a better sub) But the F12 is not exactly the best either.

Bottom line in speakers you get what you pay for. If you have the budget for the HSU that's probably how I'd go.
khankewycz is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for your input jm86wvu and khankewycz. yeah im most likely going to get the hsu sub and possibly the kef iq30's, but damn someone always comes around to suggest the ascend cbm 170's (they seem so small and compact though, but dont get me wrong i understand that they are quality speakers). thanks again everyone.
marcmedz is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marcmedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
by the way what does everyone think of the Axiom Audio M3 v2 main speakers?

how would you compare it to the kef iq30 and ascend cbm 170se?
marcmedz is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off