Energy RC-10 vs PSB Image B6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am trying to help a friend out who is trying to decide between the both of these speakers. I have RC-10's which he has listened to but there is no where local to audition the PSB Image B6 speakers. I like PSB but have only owned the Alpha B1's in the past. I am a big Energy fan and believe the RC-10's are one of the best value's right now even if they were not on sale.

Anyone that has heard both of these, which one is better? Considering the price difference, I would probably steer him to the RC-10's but I don't know how they compare to the Image B6's. He will spend the extra money for PSB's if they are worth it. I tried to remind him that the RC-10's are at a closeout price and that they originally had an MSRP higher than the B6's (I think he is associating the closeout price of the RC-10's to mean that they are cheap and not as good as the B6's).

Any thoughts? He wants to order either one today. He would also be buying the matching center of either one and has a Denon 2112 and SVS SB12 sub on the way. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
PSB is currently the only common brand that I'm willing to live with. Better than Focal IMO. Actually scratch that, KEF is also awesome in the midrange.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Of the 2 the B6 should dig deeper. I've not personally heard the B6 but I audtioned the Image b15 and rc10 and the t45 vs. the rc30's. The Psb Image sounded veiled in nature not that they were lacking in resolution or detail..just not what I liked. The Rc's OTOH just seemed a tad more defined in the highs and mid range and perhaps why I chose them in the end.

I had my Energies before API was sold to Klipsch...I'm not as high on their products as I once was?

Psb is very well respect and for good reason.

Ps: Now let's just take wait & see approach before commsysman answers the frey and sheds some light on the 2 brands....

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #4 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

How much are those B6 nowadays. If possible get something with ribbons.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

PSB is currently the only common brand that I'm willing to live with. Better than Focal IMO. Actually scratch that, KEF is also awesome in the midrange.

Thanks for the response. I had a good experience with the PSB Alpha B1's I had about a year ago. The RC-10's were better which is why I decided to upgrade. I still feel the B1's are some of the best speakers in their price range. I just wasn't sure if the Image B6's were dramatically better than the RC-10's.

It looks like the PSB's (with the matching center) are around $400 more compared to the RC-10's and RC-LCR. That's a decent amount more so I don't blame him for considering his options.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Of the 2 the B6 should dig deeper. I've not personally heard the B6 but I audtioned the Image b15 and rc10 and the t45 vs. the rc30's. The Psb Image sounded veiled in nature not that they were lacking in resolution or detail..just not what I liked. The Rc's OTOH just seemed a tad more defined in the highs and mid range and perhaps why I chose them in the end.

I had my Energies before API was sold to Klipsch...I'm not as high on their products as I once was?

Psb is very well respect and for good reason.

Ps: Now let's just take wait & see approach before commsysman answers the frey and sheds some light on the 2 brands....

He definitely likes my RC-10's and honestly they are near impossible to beat for the price right now. I am honestly not that high on Energy now either, post Klipsch purchase. I think their RC line is great but I don't like how Klipsch has already started tinkering with Energy (new Veritas line). I don't hate Klipsch per say but Energy had a certain sound that I am afraid is going to get changed more and more as Klipsch fully gets involved.

PSB is a great brand and no doubt I am sure the B6 is a great speaker. I have a ton of respect for them. At the same time though I feel that the RC line is very impressive and should (in theory at least) keep up with the Image line. I don't have first hand experience though.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much are those B6 nowadays. If possible get something with ribbons.

They are $550 a pair.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
The Image B6 is a very good speaker, but it has some stiff competition for its price.

I would suggest you consider the KEF iQ30, which may be a better speaker and is $399/pair now at KEF Direct.

Another excellent one you might want to consider is the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2, which is under $500/pair.

To me, the RC-10 is not as good-sounding as any of the above; not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Thanks for the response. I had a good experience with the PSB Alpha B1's I had about a year ago. The RC-10's were better which is why I decided to upgrade. I still feel the B1's are some of the best speakers in their price range. I just wasn't sure if the Image B6's were dramatically better than the RC-10's.

It looks like the PSB's (with the matching center) are around $400 more compared to the RC-10's and RC-LCR. That's a decent amount more so I don't blame him for considering his options.

post #9 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Image B6 is a very good speaker, but it has some stiff competition for its price.

I would suggest you consider the KEF iQ30, which may be a better speaker and is $399/pair now at KEF Direct.

Another excellent one you might want to consider is the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2, which is under $500/pair.

He was also looking at the Monitor Audio BX-2's but is not able to demo them locally. I have heard good things about those also.

I did advise him that he may have to buy the PSB's (or even BX-2's for that matter) and demo them. Then send them back if he is not impressed. He is on a budget but will spend extra if it truly blows away th RC-10's. He has heard mine countless times so he knows exactly what to expect from them.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 465
When someone is use to a certain sound, it is hard to change.
PSB is nice - however, they do not stand out for me. It is also
a matter of preference, choice and taste. Measurements do not
quarantee the overall resolution, for good detail, definition and
depth. I have heard more better definition in the midrange and
a more tight and controlled bass, and an overall better sounding
soundsatage with other speakers.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

When someone is use to a certain sound, it is hard to change.
PSB is nice - however, they do not stand out for me. It is also
a matter of preference, choice and taste. Measurements do not
quarantee the overall resolution, for good detail, definition and
depth. I have heard more better definition in the midrange and
a more tight and controlled bass, and an overall better sounding
soundsatage with other speakers.

Thanks Jim. I always appreciate your comments (you convinced me to get the boston vs 260's). I honestly think he would be happy with the RC-10's and save money at the same time. The reason I upgraded from the B1's over a year ago to the RC-10's was because something was lacking in the mids and highs for me. I don't crank up my stereo loud or anything but I want the option to turn it up if I choose. When I got the RC-10's, I was blown away especially for the price I paid. The RC-10's are not perfect (nothing is) but they are amazing for the closeout price considering the build quality (real wood veneer is unheard of at that price let alone pretty much anything under $700 a pair) and sound they produce.

I think he is still stuck on the closeout price even though he has heard mine many times. He has to make the decision but I personally doubt that the B6's are that much better than the RC-10's. I know they will have a different sound regardless (B1's sound quite a bit different than the RC-10's to me) but I guess he has to decide what sounds good to him.
post #12 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Liked: 10
Dont want to hijack your thread, but are the RC 10 on closeout right now? Where? ... Alao need two in cieling for rears, are the Energy in cieling speakers decent?
post #13 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sexton View Post

Dont want to hijack your thread, but are the RC 10 on closeout right now? Where? ... Alao need two in cieling for rears, are the Energy in cieling speakers decent?

No problem. You can get them for $299 a pair at Vanns.com

I am not sure about the ceiling speakers though.
post #14 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks!
post #15 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

LOL you know that was the first thing I thought of when I read the subject of the thread.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

LOL you know that was the first thing I thought of when I read the subject of the thread.

I hate to admit it but I also thought that. I noticed that he added the extra line about the RC-10's after I already replied to his quoted reply. No offense to commsysman, but I just don't understand how he could think the RC-10's aren't even close sound wise to the PSB's or the other ones he recommended. To be fair I haven't compared the RC-10's to any of those so maybe someone else can chime in.

I know the RC-10's aren't the end all be all audiophile speaker but in my opinion, they can hang with pretty much any speaker pair $500 and under. Maybe I'm wrong or not that picky, lol. Who knows .
post #17 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I doubt he (consisman) has even heard the RC-10s. He has strong opinions about lots of things he hasn't even heard. Basically, if it has been reviewed in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound, he loves it. If it hasn't been reviewed in one or both mags, it's junk (whether he or they have heard them or not).

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #18 of 36 Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I hate to admit it but I also thought that. I noticed that he added the extra line about the RC-10's after I already replied to his quoted reply. No offense to commsysman, but I just don't understand how he could think the RC-10's aren't even close sound wise to the PSB's or the other ones he recommended. To be fair I haven't compared the RC-10's to any of those so maybe someone else can chime in.

I know the RC-10's aren't the end all be all audiophile speaker but in my opinion, they can hang with pretty much any speaker pair $500 and under. Maybe I'm wrong or not that picky, lol. Who knows .

Well, opinions do vary, but I also think the RC-10 competes very well with many speakers under $500... and is a very good speaker for the current price (or even a little higher).

I will say, I have heard the Monitor Audio M-1 commsysman was repeatedly recommending at one point... and I was not all that impressed. So it's clear we have different preferences.
post #19 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Well, opinions do vary, but I also think the RC-10 competes very well with many speakers under $500... and is a very good speaker for the current price (or even a little higher).

I will say, I have heard the Monitor Audio M-1 commsysman was repeatedly recommending at one point... and I was not all that impressed. So it's clear we have different preferences.

I agree. I was trying to think of any of brands he could consider (like the Monitor Audio BX2's, etc) but honestly I don't think he would get that much "bang for your buck" out of those or the PSB's compared to the RC-10's. I know they are both great speakers but we are talking about $200--$250 more for the PSB's compared to the closeout pricing of the RC-10's. I just don't know if he would see that type of return sound wise going to the PSB's. He is going to have a 3.1 setup and it is a small living room. He definitely doesn't want to audition a bunch of speakers because of return shipping costs. He doesn't have upgraditis like a lot of people on these forums (me included) but I think he also doesn't want to have regret down the road or feel like he has to replace the speakers in a year.

I wish someone had experience with both speakers so I could at least point him towards ones (even though I am kind of doing that with the RC-10's, lol).
post #20 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are $550 a pair.

Hmm at that price I'd get an Arx A3 instead. Better highs (ribbon) and being floorstanders lower bass
post #21 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm at that price I'd get an Arx A3 instead. Better highs (ribbon) and being floorstanders lower bass

He wants bookshelfs (WAF). I was trying to steer him to the RC-10's because I thought they were probably close to the PSB's sound wise and literally half price. When you start getting close to the $600 range, I would also start looking at tower speakers. I have heard great things about those Arx speakers though.
post #22 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

He wants bookshelfs (WAF). I was trying to steer him to the RC-10's because I thought they were probably close to the PSB's sound wise and literally half price.

It would be nice it there was a way for him, to audition the Boston
E60 - the resolution, with the detail, definion and depth - is really
an ear opener and enjoyable experience. The measurements from
200hz to 10khz are real good, with -3db at 65hz > and no artificial
bass bump. Use to list for $1200 a pair.
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...6575026&sr=8-1

post #23 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

It would be nice it there was a way for him, to audition the Boston
E60 - the resolution, with the detail, definion and depth - is really
an ear opener and enjoyable experience. The measurements from
200hz to 10khz are real good, with -3db at 65hz > and no artificial
bass bump. Use to list for $1200 a pair.
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...6575026&sr=8-1

After owning Boston speakers now, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them but they are nearly impossible to find now (I actually like the look of those compared to the VS 260's I have). Heck if vanns still had the VS 260's, I would be telling him to buy those now.
post #24 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He wants bookshelfs (WAF). I was trying to steer him to the RC-10's because I thought they were probably close to the PSB's sound wise and literally half price. When you start getting close to the $600 range, I would also start looking at tower speakers. I have heard great things about those Arx speakers though.

Well then how bout the Arx 2? Haven't heard them but looks decent on paper or screen.
post #25 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After owning Boston speakers now, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them but they are nearly impossible to find now (I actually like the look of those compared to the VS 260's I have). Heck if vanns still had the VS 260's, I would be telling him to buy those now.

There are 5 at Amazon site, I understand if one does not want to
purchase that way. They were voiced so one could be turned as a
center channel. They show up from time to time, refurbish at AC4L
however, no guarantee that they will show back up.
LL

post #26 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well then how bout the Arx 2? Haven't heard them but looks decent on paper or screen.

I thought about that to. If you go to audioinsider's site though, they are out of stock and just offering a preorder for the updated 2b sometime in June (it has been pushed back a few times).

He called Vanns a few minutes ago and was offered the RC-10's and RC-LCR for $50 off their current sale price ($50 total, not $50 off each). So now it looks like the PSB's would be about $350 more (DMC electronics offered him a little bit off of MSRP on the PSB's which includes the matching C5 center). If he went with the Monitor Audio BX2 with matching center, it's about $300 more. I told him my preference but again that is subjective. I would want to save the money because I know how good the RC-10's are for the money. Then again maybe he would be less likely to upgrade down the line if he gets what he truly wants.
post #27 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I will start with a caveat - like Jim Z PSB is not my cup of tea.

I auditioned both (although for nearfield, music only purposes), and owned the RC-10 for about a month and have to agree, for their price it presents an excellent value. If he likes the RC-10 then it's a no-brainer.

Quote:

Then again maybe he would be less likely to upgrade down the line if he gets what he truly wants.

Oh yes he will, it's the nature of the beast. But then, nothing is said of room size, purpose, subs used, etc. The longevity of his speaker enjoyment is tied to more variables than just the need to have speakers. It's best to look at purchases from the perspective of putting together a system rather than piecing together components.

post #28 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I auditioned both (although for nearfield, music only purposes), and owned the RC-10 for about a month and have to agree, for their price it presents an excellent value. If he likes the RC-10 then it's a no-brainer.

Although I use my RC-10s as rears I have to agree that at their current price there is no equal from fit to finish to sound quality. Plus I love the way they look on Sanus NF stands. There are a lot of great speakers out there, but without a place to audition them it makes the decision pretty tough.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #29 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Oh yes he will, it's the nature of the beast. But then, nothing is said of room size, purpose, subs used, etc. The longevity of his speaker enjoyment is tied to more variables than just the need to have speakers. It's best to look at purchases from the perspective of putting together a system rather than piecing together components.

Yes you are probably right, lol. I was wanting him to maximize his budget as much as possible. He would really have a nice budget system with the RC-10's but without the budget sound in my opinion.
post #30 of 36 Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

Although I use my RC-10s as rears I have to agree that at their current price there is no equal from fit to finish to sound quality. Plus I love the way they look on Sanus NF stands. There are a lot of great speakers out there, but without a place to audition them it makes the decision pretty tough.

That's what I was trying to tell him. Finish honestly doesn't matter to me as long as they sound good. With the RC-10's though, you are getting an amazing finish, build quality, and they sound great. Plus they are an absolute steal at this price. He actually has a pair of Sanus NF30 stands so he is good there. He was going to swap those out also for the SF ones but I admit I really like those stands. I might even get a pair for my RC-10's. He got the 30" size because the 24" was way to low. The 30" are a few inches taller than his listening level but I think he will be fine.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page