Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Looks decent... I would maybe move the rears inward about 1 foot out of the corner. And also for me I prefer higher surrounds and rears, you may wanna try like 2 or 3 feet above seated ear level.

Yeah, I would love to move the rear surrounds in closer, I agree, I'll see what I can do with that.

As for the Side surrounds and rears, higher would be better, as they are a little more out of the way, so it would benefit me for placement, but any reason you like them that high?

I read that people put them 2 feet higher then listening level, but what's the main reason?

You'd think closer to ear level would actually be "better".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you are not a gamer then put them anywhere you want. If you are a gamer that depends on positional sound to stay alive then there is an exact location for each speaker. I gave a friend a 5.1 amp and he put his speakers all in the front plane and guess what, it sounds pretty good!
post #33 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

If you are not a gamer then put them anywhere you want. If you are a gamer that depends on positional sound to stay alive then there is an exact location for each speaker. I gave a friend a 5.1 amp and he put his speakers all in the front plane and guess what, it sounds pretty good!

Yes, well, I'm sure it sounds "good", but I think everyone's quest for good "surround sound" lies more in the Experience.

Sounds quality remains "good", but the positional effects, and the experience will change dramatically.
post #34 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Then follow Dolby's directions to the letter, no exceptions.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/...ide/index.html
post #35 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Then follow Dolby's directions to the letter, no exceptions.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/...ide/index.html

Well.. I think there's reasonable middle ground between putting ALL of your speakers in the front and following the Dolby specs by the exact degree.

There are some minor changes you can make to the official Dolby setup, that can affect sound in a minimal way, and that's why I'm here to ask the opinion of those that have played around with their home setup.
post #36 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by master0068 View Post

Yeah, I would love to move the rear surrounds in closer, I agree, I'll see what I can do with that.

As for the Side surrounds and rears, higher would be better, as they are a little more out of the way, so it would benefit me for placement, but any reason you like them that high?

I read that people put them 2 feet higher then listening level, but what's the main reason?

You'd think closer to ear level would actually be "better".

For me higher is better because you can hear them no matter if your near the rear of the room or up front. Too low and the front of the room won't hear the surrounds.

Also having them higher allows you to have the trim level of the surrounds higher without them being annoying or overpowering. Having them high for me provides great ambience but still offers pin point accuracy when needed.

And yes I did experiment with all 4 surrounds at ear level, 1ft above, 2ft above, and 3 ft above and I like higher. Mine are actually about 30 to 32 inches above seated ear level and 3ft above reclined ear level.

Shawn
post #37 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Seeing the pics has been helpful, and your room has the potential to be really nice. If it were me I would somehow find a way (if at all possible) to keep the Pioneers together as a proper 5.0 setup, and use the satellites as back speakers 6 & 7. I know you're concerned that the Pioneers are too big for surrounds but if they're up high enough on the wall you should be fine. Using the mounts I linked earlier each of my surrounds have 6'5" clearance underneath, as they're both above high traffic walkways (and I have no friends over 6'4" ).

I've attached a pic of my recently mounted surrounds and BTW I'm a huge MMA fan as well (I actually met Bas Rutten a few months ago, which was really cool).

What speakers are those?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #38 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Seeing the pics has been helpful, and your room has the potential to be really nice. If it were me I would somehow find a way (if at all possible) to keep the Pioneers together as a proper 5.0 setup, and use the satellites as back speakers 6 & 7. I know you're concerned that the Pioneers are too big for surrounds but if they're up high enough on the wall you should be fine. Using the mounts I linked earlier each of my surrounds have 6'5" clearance underneath, as they're both above high traffic walkways (and I have no friends over 6'4" ).

I've attached a pic of my recently mounted surrounds and BTW I'm a huge MMA fan as well (I actually met Bas Rutten a few months ago, which was really cool).

Attachment 246144

Thanks Man. Nice, he's an icon in the sport, a true vet.

Yeah, I agree with you, I REALLY wanted to keep the Pioneers as a 5.1 set, but there's 2 reasons why I'm not overly concered anymore.

1) I will NEVER be running 5.1 ever again (Dolby IIx)
2) Every thing I read about timbre matching surrounds, says it really doesn't matter...
post #39 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Kev-same brand as my towers & center--Monitor Audio RS. I mounted them a few days after you guys came over, so need you to come back and dial things again .

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #40 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

If I mount my Side Surrounds about 1-2 feet higher than ear height, do you guys think it's important/essential that they point down towards the listener?
post #41 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:

If I mount my Side Surrounds about 1-2 feet higher than ear height, do you guys think it's important/essential that they point down towards the listener?

I would mount them at least 2-3 feet above ear level and point them to the person on the opposite side of the couch. This way, the person on either end of the couch (or row) is not overwhelmed by the nearby surround speaker.

Sanjay
post #42 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I would mount them at least 2-3 feet above ear level and point them to the person on the opposite side of the couch. This way, the person on either end of the couch (or row) is not overwhelmed by the nearby surround speaker.

Makes sense, as they will be fairly close to the people on the edges.

Do you think it'd be bad if I just set them up 2 feet or so above ear level and had them point Straight ahead?
post #43 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Kev-same brand as my towers & center--Monitor Audio RS. I mounted them a few days after you guys came over, so need you to come back and dial things again .

Sounds good!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #44 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:

Do you think it'd be bad if I just set them up 2 feet or so above ear level and had them point Straight ahead?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Sanjay
post #45 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:

Makes sense, as they will be fairly close to the people on the edges.

Mine are placed facing straight (no downward tilt) and I'm happy with mine. If you wanna see how mine are mounted look at this link. Its about half way down the page.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...90726&page=111

Shawn
post #46 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

So, I'm taking your advice folks (that's why I'm here),

I ran my wiring last night for the Rear Right, and Surround Right, what a pain that was.. I had to run it up inside the drywall, and it's an outside wall, so it's insulated... was working on it until midnight...

Anyways, I setup the speakers at 6' height, as recommended, which is about 3' above listener ear level.

They are going to be pointed straight out, which people seem to think is fine.

Luckily my 4th wall isn't in yet (the left wall, I've attached a picture), so wiring all that will be easy.

Based on my room dimensions and the height of the speakers, let me know what everyone thinks.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...metheater.jpg/
post #47 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Mine are placed facing straight (no downward tilt) and I'm happy with mine. If you wanna see how mine are mounted look at this link. Its about half way down the page.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...90726&page=111

Thanks for the pics.

Seems about the height that everyone is recommending, and the height that ended up with. I really wanted them closer to eye level, but really, they are more out of the way when they are high, and it looks better (in my opinion) and in the theaters, the speakers are above ear level...
post #48 of 50 Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

So, just thought I'd give everyone an update.

I got my Surround speakers about 1 foot (flush mounted on the wall) above ear level (I like to be able to hear the surrounds)

And I installed my rear Surrounds about 2 feet above ear level, tilted downwards (BT77/AM40 mounts).

I have little satellite speakers for the surrounds which can just be hung off a screw, and since the side walls have more traffic I wanted smaller speakers there (and had them lying around).

For the rears I got big beefy Bookshelves on the BT77 mounts, so I'm able to tilt those down. I got a pretty good setup (better than I expected) the back wall is 12', and I have the rears 2 feet off the walls, so about 7 feet between them, tilted slightly inwards. Much better than my original Corner shelf idea.

Tested it out in 7.1 yesterday, sounds awesome.
post #49 of 50 Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely an improvement over 5.1, the rear positioning adds a ton of depth, but obviously, this will differ based on the Soundtrack.

God of War 3 (a PS3 game which supports 7.1) sounded amazing, and added a ton of depth.

Initially I only got sound of the front soundstage, but just like Blu ray movies, the soundtrack doesn't default to 7.1, and was only set to stereo.

I'm going to run a few tests with 5.1 DTS MA tracks with Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing, to see how much of an improvement, and how well IIx uses the rears.

I'll keep you guys posted in case anyone is interested.
post #50 of 50 Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I've been messing around with the Dolby Pro Logic IIx (5.1 to 7.1) and I'm highly impressed.

Defintely adds to the experience, and sometimes exceeds the results from studio 7.1 tracks.

I may be biased (and I realize this isn't "true" to the vision of the producer) but I love surround immersion, and this does a great job with the tracks I've tested.

My opinion

5.1 vs 7.1 - Definitely go 7.1, without a doubt. My room is only 12'x17', which most would say is too "small" for a 7.1, but the rear speakers have added a TON of depth.
5.1 vs 5.1 with Dolby Pro Logic IIx (upmixed to 7.1) - Definitely 7.1 again. It does a great job of increasing immersion, and the way most tracks are mixed, the surrounds aren't really used for positioning, but rather ambient sounds etc., so exact studio duplication isn't as much of a factor (again, in my opinion).

To those curious, I hope this helps.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page