Front setup around $1000 - AVS Forum
Speakers > Front setup around $1000
lite2's Avatar lite2 07:52 PM 05-08-2012
Recommendations for front/l/r bookshelf speakers and matching center for a $1000 or so? So far have tried Energy RC-10's. For the price great but want something a bit better. Considering Aperion Verus Grands with matching Verus Grand center channel. Anything better for the price? Thanks.

JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 01:09 PM 05-09-2012
The Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE might work. Crystal Acoustics TX-B1 and THX-CT-BLA are another combo to consider. There's also the XTZ 95.24 and 95.33, or even 3 of the 93.22's (which work horizontally and vertically).
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 01:14 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE might work. Crystal Acoustics TX-B1 and THX-CT-BLA are another combo to consider. There's also the XTZ 95.24 and 95.33, or even 3 of the 93.22's (which work horizontally and vertically).

Is XTZ really carrying stuff in stock - how do they operate?
I have tried to put different speakers and a sub in the cart.
When you go to check out, it reads in stock - No.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 01:16 PM 05-09-2012
Should be well under $1k if you don't need the sub. Great speakers, love mine!

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 01:29 PM 05-09-2012
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 01:48 PM 05-09-2012
Several good choices. Are these mainly for HT or for music?
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 02:09 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Interesting - I get the same result.

When I did the review on the W10.16 sub last year they hadn't officially opened the Chicago distribution center yet, but that's where mine came from anyway. When I swapped that for the W12.16 it also came from Chicago. I know the US wasn't going to get the entire product line right off the bat, but it was supposed to get everything within a short period of time. The Swedish site still shows more product though.

The only guy I've ever dealt with is the CEO, because at the time he was very involved in getting the Chicago facility up and running. He keeps asking me if I want to review anything else they sell, but if there's no stock I'm not sure how that would work. I'll reach out to him and see what the deal is. Were you interested in anything specific?
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 02:12 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The only guy I've ever dealt with is the CEO, because at the time he was very involved in getting the Chicago facility up and running. He keeps asking me if I want to review anything else they sell, but if there's no stock I'm not sure how that would work. I'll reach out to him and see what the deal is. Were you interested in anything specific?

Thanks for checking
I have my eye on a couple of speakers, nothing specific - no rush.
lite2's Avatar lite2 08:32 PM 05-09-2012
Mainly HT but some music.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 02:18 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:

Thanks for checking
I have my eye on a couple of speakers, nothing specific - no rush.

PM sent.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 10:56 AM 05-21-2012
Quote:

The out-of-stock issue XTZ was having with their website has been fixed. I just tried it again this morning and it's working properly now.
Rysh's Avatar Rysh 12:10 PM 05-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lite2 View Post

Considering Aperion Verus Grands with matching Verus Grand center channel. Anything better for the price? Thanks.

I have the Grand towers as fronts, with the bookshelves as rears. However I have the Forte center (WAF space issues). I don't think you can go wrong with the Verus line, especially since you can return them for free for a full refund. I love the sound from my Aperion speakers. I am filling a 3800 cf greatroom quite well. I do have a sub. Movies, music, tv, it is all good.
Hope that helps!
echen1024's Avatar echen1024 04:39 PM 05-21-2012
If you have a Magnepan dealer in your area, I suggest you go try out the Mini Maggie system. It includes to l/r speakers and a woofer to help bass extension. It can be had for $1000
sethk's Avatar sethk 09:37 PM 08-29-2012
Do most dealers carry Mini Maggies? I had the sense that these were offered as a 30 day trial from the factory, and that dealers didn't carry these?
Ryansboston's Avatar Ryansboston 10:14 AM 08-30-2012
Want the best bang for your buck? I highly recommend the Arx A5s paired with an Arx A2b. I've only had the Arx A5s, A1bs, and A2 for a few days now but they have already exceeded my high expectations for them. I've been putting off a more thorough review until I've had time to break them in but I just wanted to at least get these bad boys on your radar for consideration.

Although you likely haven't heard too much about them, you will soon enough as they just came out and already starting to get rave reviews.. you can read all about how they came to be and what makes them such a great value over at the Audio Insider forums: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?24-Arx-Speakers

I will warn you though, the only issue is that they sold out of the A2s and you will need to wait a bit for the A2bs to actually become available (pre-order only right now)

Here are A5 and A2b pics from their website: Arx A5.jpg 19k .jpg file Arx A2b.JPG 36k .JPG file
Attached: Arx A5.jpg (19.2 KB)  Arx A2b.JPG (36.1 KB) 
Up
Mobile  Desktop