Do I want a soundbar? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here's my dilemma. I have a beautiful Samsung LED 55in tv.about a year old. Sometimes I just feel like I'm adjusting the volume so much. It's too loud or not loud enough. I know the speakers on these tvs aren't great. I can't get a full on surround sound system because I live in a condo and don't want to blowout the neighbors above me or next to me. So I was thinking of getting a soundbar. I'm not looking to amp the thing up and rattle the walls I'm just looking for something that is going to give me more of a full complete sound. Not having to constantly max the volume out on my TV when there's dialogue in a movie and then turn it way down during music or explosion type scenes. Any thoughts on what I should get? Do u think a soundbar would solve my problem? Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
IMO a soundbar is the next worst thing to internal TV speakers. As far as the neighbors are concerned you can get complaints with any system if you play it too loud. Don't play it too loud, they won't complain.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You may want to review threads and post your questions in the Soundbar Forum. The effectiveness of soundbars varies greatly depending on placement, proximity to walls, and the bar itself. Most will provide a noticeable improvement over TV speakers though.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therucc View Post

So here's my dilemma. I have a beautiful Samsung LED 55in tv.about a year old. Sometimes I just feel like I'm adjusting the volume so much. It's too loud or not loud enough. I know the speakers on these tvs aren't great. I can't get a full on surround sound system because I live in a condo and don't want to blowout the neighbors above me or next to me. So I was thinking of getting a soundbar. I'm not looking to amp the thing up and rattle the walls I'm just looking for something that is going to give me more of a full complete sound. Not having to constantly max the volume out on my TV when there's dialogue in a movie and then turn it way down during music or explosion type scenes. Any thoughts on what I should get? Do u think a soundbar would solve my problem? Thanx

I think you have to ask yourself how much you value sound quality. I think soundbars have their place but I would never consider one as I value sound quality over the form factor of a sound bar.

I did see an ad for a Harman Kardon unit that probably wouldn't be too bad. It did even include a small subwoofer.

Here you go: http://www.sb16.harmankardon.com/ or http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...px?PID=SB%2030

However, I would still much rather piece together a very basic speaker/subwoofer setup. Something like the Energy Take Classic 5.1 combo with a basic Denon receiver would be much better then any soundbar. And as stated above, you always have volume control to keep things in check and not bother the neighbors.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page