Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerusalem View Post

Looking at the Onkyo TX-NR809 currently it seems to be good bang for the buck.

Generally I listen to music while doing other things I guess I'm just from an overstimulated generation (27 years old) and I'm very busy when I'm in the states usually getting as much done before my next trip. I think with higher quality audio I would sit and just listen from time to time but I am not yet an audiophile, I can appreciate good sound but don't know how big of a difference I could tell between high-end system X vs high-end system Y honestly. I am trying to put this system together knowing almost anything I do will be an upgrade to what I have now but I'm hoping it will give me the ability to appreciate the high quality sound more as I don't have enough experience with it currently. I definitely noticed the difference between cheap headphones and high quality headphones about 2 years ago though and it took trying the high quality ones to truly appreciate and understand the cost difference. Trying to get an "entry-level" but high-end system out of this lol, i don't think i'll ever tell a difference between the $500 and $5000 speaker at least not $4500 worth but I know the system I put together here will be awesome enough to notice for starts. Thanks sorry for the long reply again.

OK, great....knowing that.....my honest recommendation would be to go with 2 pairs of Klipsch RB81's and an RC-62 center channel. $1500 retail right there(and you can probably find them alot cheaper too.

Truth of the matter is, these will be superior for HT for your type of usage. They are efficient(in other words dont need alot of power to get LOUD), they sound darn good for music as well, especially with a good sub, and are very dynamic. Take the money saved and get yourself a great subwoofer or pair, or get a better AVR and you will be more than happy. I love Kef speakers but they are a more laid back refined sound, and need 4 times the power for the same output volume levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Liked: 15
And then with the money saved(RB-81's can be had for around $400 shipped per pair online and the RC 62 for $375)pick up the Onkyo 3007.......it has a pretty good manual EQ/xover built in and its a better choice over the 809: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
post #33 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You may want to hold out for the NR818 which is about to be released from Onkyo. It's the replacement for the NR809, and provides Audyssey XT32/SubEQ, which is a huge advancement over the 809. I believe the amplifier stage in the 818 is also of a monoblock design which is another improvement to note.

I'm a KEF fan, but to be honest, I've only really owned their Reference line of speakers, which are nearly all 4 ohm speakers, and a nearly flat, resistive load, so they are very efficient, easy to drive even with an AV receiver, and tend to have a sensitivity in the 90-92dB range, at 1W/m. I respect Klipsch as well, I just don't find them as desireable to my ear.

-GlassWolf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Also if I DID go Klipsch I was looking at RF-52 IIs up front RC-52 II center and RS-42 IIs in the back and RW-12d sub on an Onkyo TX-NR 809. What do you think about these? especially vs KEF IQ70s up front, IQ60c center and IQ30s in the back w/ unknown sub. For my purposes?
post #35 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

I was considering waiting for the 818 but I worry about firmware upgrades and all for a new gen of products. Do you think Onkyo will have these problems with this year's models (I know impossible to predict but..)

Also on Newegg the RF-52II is listed Klipsch Reference RF-52 II B Floorstanding Speaker like this, the B after it does this mean B stock because it makes no reference to it in the info whatsoever. Also Any online retailers you guys recommend? There are no high quality audio stores until you get about 150 miles from where I live so I will probably end up getting things online. Thanks!
post #36 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quick question about subwoofers. Some of the subwoofers I'm looking at have high level in inputs (left and right and sometimes 2x left and right) and then line in inputs (left and right) if using a subwoofer cable do you just plug into the left or right line in? Or is there some other way you connect these subwoofers to your system? Thank you, I'm a newb with high quality stuff lol)
post #37 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I would look at maybe the Epik Legend subwoofer instead of the Klipsch unit. But I haven't heard the Klipsch lately but from what I remember, they don't really put out a lot of sound.

You connect the subwoofer with a RCA cable from the LFE output from the receiver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was considering waiting for the 818 but I worry about firmware upgrades and all for a new gen of products. Do you think Onkyo will have these problems with this year's models (I know impossible to predict but..)

Also on Newegg the RF-52II is listed Klipsch Reference RF-52 II B Floorstanding Speaker like this, the B after it does this mean B stock because it makes no reference to it in the info whatsoever. Also Any online retailers you guys recommend? There are no high quality audio stores until you get about 150 miles from where I live so I will probably end up getting things online. Thanks!

The "B" usually stands for black.

post #39 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't worry too much about firmware for receivers.

post #40 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 AM

Seems like there are always a few kinks with new hardware releases for AVRs, but Onkyo typically fixes the problems with updates. I wouldn't worry about it. The 809 had it's share of issues, too. The 818 is well worth the wait and price difference over the 809, seriously. The XT32 alone makes it worth the difference.

Yeah as noted, "B" typically means "Black" B-stock isn't noted in the serial number or model number. That's typically a sticker slapped on the box, itself when it's denoted.

If your sub has L and R line level inputs, use the left input for your LFE feed, usually.
If you're really worried about it, just get a 2M-1F Y-splitter RCA cable, and feed signal to both L and R inputs.

-GlassWolf

post #41 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

Klipsch makes great high efficiency speakers that work well with HT......but what are you doing recommending Deftech? I thought you have standards?

I auditioned the Klipsch RF-83 & DefTech BP7001SC in the same room. I thought the BP7001SC sounded better - more 3-dimensional, larger soundstage. Both measure +/- 3 to 4 dB from 100Hz-10kHz.

I used to own the BP7000SC & BP7001SC. I could listen all day long without any fatigue. Clear sound, large soundstage, lifelike. They may lack few detail/resolution compare to the more accurate speakers. But they sound very exciting and lively.

But I did say to go with KEF, right?
post #42 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

The Klipsch line is somewhat controversial with audiophiles. While it is undebatable they offer outstanding dynamics and efficiency, some of the other sonic qualities are more open to discussion. As previously mentioned, B&W, KEF, PSB & DefTec are some of the more conventional speaker lines that you might consider.

I don't think I saw what AVR you plan to use - many of these speakers present impedance loads to the amp that inexpensive AVR's struggle with.

Based on my auditions of the B&W 800D, 802D, & 803D, I would dare say (& apologize in advance ) I preferred the SQ of KEF, PSB, DefTech, & Klipsch above B&W. But every room is different.
post #43 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Based on my auditions of the B&W 800D, 802D, & 803D, I would dare say (& apologize in advance ) I preferred the SQ of KEF, PSB, DefTech, & Klipsch above B&W. But every room is different.

+1. B&W has never sounded good in any room I've heard them in...well, until you get to the 802D, which is the only speaker from them that I like. It's way overpriced, though, and the Kef Reference, Revel and Salk speakers in that price range put it to shame.

I recommend Salk SongTowers, Ascend Sierra Towers, the already mentioned Kef's, Monitor Audio RX6's and the PSB Image series. Start with a great 3.1 system if you can and add the rear channels later. A great 2.1 or 3.1 system with sound better than a mediocre 5.1 system every time.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #44 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about the high frequencies of the Klipsch, todays receivers have many ways to control this.

Although they can help, these processes can't change everything about the sound of speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Start with a great 3.1 system if you can and add the rear channels later. A great 2.1 or 3.1 system with sound better than a mediocre 5.1 system every time.

And as a stopgap, you could always use the best speakers that you already have for surrounds.
post #45 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

And as a stopgap, you could always use the best speakers that you already have for surrounds.

Right on -that's what I would do.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #46 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I recommend Salk SongTowers, Ascend Sierra Towers, the already mentioned Kef's, Monitor Audio RX6's and the PSB Image series. Start with a great 3.1 system if you can and add the rear channels later. A great 2.1 or 3.1 system with sound better than a mediocre 5.1 system every time.

I'll recommend anything ID that has ribbon or planar tweeter on it
post #47 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 463
The Klipsch can perform well for movies - for movies and music, I prefer
the likes of the current KEF Q series, Focal Chorus, PSB Image series >>
and do not be surprised what the Monitor Audio RX6 can do - they are a
real good all around performer - and I would pick them over the RX8.

Looking at ID brands, is also reccomended.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #48 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM

true enough on 3.1
For what it's worth, I'm doing that now in a system in a different bedroom than my own. I have a 36" tube TV with an older Integra AVR, and some really nice bookshelf speakers with a Polk sub and a KEF reference 100 center, and no surrounds as of now. I have the matching bookshelf speakers for the back, but I need to drill some holes in the floor and run the cables under the room across the ceiling of the garage to do this (bedroom is over the 2 car garage, like a FROG) and I just haven't talked myself into doing it yet. Honestly? I barely notice the lack of rear channels.

-GlassWolf

post #49 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
1K would get you a 5.1 of Ascend CBM-170 right? It's for HT so he doesn't need towers up front.
post #50 of 50 Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM

If all you want is a sat/sub setup, take a look at the Energy Take 5 setup, or if you have more to spend, a used Energy Encore setup. Both are very good, and affordable, and easily driven with an AV receiver.

-GlassWolf

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page