New speaker advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am working on upgrading my home theatre system and currently just have a yamaha all-in-one system. I am looking at the Klipsch reference series speakers and I'm wondering if I buy the 2 front speakers first and use my yamaha speakers as sattelites if everything will work fine while I wait for each paycheck to buy a new piece of the Klipsch reference series speakers. I also think 5.1 will be fine but do you know if I can use 5.1 speakers on a 7.1 receiver? Also what do I need to look for on a receiver to make sure it has the quality to make the speakers sound their best? Thank you for all advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Klipsch reference series II RF-52 x2, RC-52 is what I'm planning on buying for starts and then probably RS-42 to go with it for surround and the 12" klipsch sub. I'm looking at some Yamaha receivers currently to go with them and probably 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire with banana plugs. I don't really know anything about "bi-amp" it seems like I would plug 2x speaker wires into the speaker itself but please enlighten me if you have the time. What are your thoughts on speaker wire brands? Copper is copper and just gauge and sheath matter? Thanks again, sorry my posts are so long but I need some good advice from expert audiophiles like you guys!
post #3 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Shoot us an email and we can help you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 243
For the kind of money you are talking about spending, around $1000 for the front 3, there are much better-sounding speakers IMO than those.

For that same money, you could buy a pair of PSB Alpha T1 speakers and an PSB Image C4 center speaker.

You could also buy a set of KEF iQ70 speakers and a T101c center speaker.

Either one of those will give you much better sound quality IMO than the Klipsch speakers.

Forget about bi-amping and bi-wiring; that does not come into play until you have speakers that are going to cost several thousand dollars each.

14 gauge is heavy enough for any speaker wire run up to 30 feet or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerusalem View Post

Klipsch reference series II RF-52 x2, RC-52 is what I'm planning on buying for starts and then probably RS-42 to go with it for surround and the 12" klipsch sub. I'm looking at some Yamaha receivers currently to go with them and probably 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire with banana plugs. I don't really know anything about "bi-amp" it seems like I would plug 2x speaker wires into the speaker itself but please enlighten me if you have the time. What are your thoughts on speaker wire brands? Copper is copper and just gauge and sheath matter? Thanks again, sorry my posts are so long but I need some good advice from expert audiophiles like you guys!

post #5 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

I am working on upgrading my home theatre system and currently just have a yamaha all-in-one system. I am looking at the Klipsch reference series speakers and I'm wondering if I buy the 2 front speakers first and use my yamaha speakers as sattelites if everything will work fine while I wait for each paycheck to buy a new piece of the Klipsch reference series speakers. I also think 5.1 will be fine but do you know if I can use 5.1 speakers on a 7.1 receiver? Also what do I need to look for on a receiver to make sure it has the quality to make the speakers sound their best? Thank you for all advice!

For mainly HT the Klipsch speakers are great. Very dynamic and detailed. IMO they can be a little bright for music at moderate and up volume.

Sounds like it would be a nice system, skip bi wiring/amping etc.... and skip the Klipsch sub unless you can get it REALLY cheap.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

So a couple newb questions:

1) Everyone says don't worry about bi-amp, if I have a 7.1 receiver can I set it up for 5 speakers instead of 7 and not worry about back channel surround?

2) If the receiver I buy has 100w/channel but I have front speakers that say 125w will that receiver still power those speakers or do I need to look at that when deciding on a receiver?
post #7 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

1) Everyone says don't worry about bi-amp, if I have a 7.1 receiver can I set it up for 5 speakers instead of 7 and not worry about back channel surround?

2) If the receiver I buy has 100w/channel but I have front speakers that say 125w will that receiver still power those speakers or do I need to look at that when deciding on a receiver?

yes a 7.1 AVR can run in 5.1 just fine. I do that myself using a 9.2 channel AVR to run a 5.1 speaker system at present.

two things to remember about power ratings:
1. the power output rating of an amplifier is rated at full volume to a resistive load with a white noise tone generator. You listen to audio at a fraction of full volume, on a reactive load (speakers) with a dynamic audio source, meaning in short, that you typically won't be using more than about 20 watts of power on average, with only brief momentary peaks drawing more power (which is why the reserve power in an amplifier, determined by the quality of it's power supply and design, are far more important than the "RMS power output" specs manufacturers always quote to draw people in.)

2. power handling specs on a speaker are a thermal rating of how much heat the voice coils can handle without physical damage. These numbers have absolutely nothing to do with how much power a speaker needs to "get loud" or reach full excursion. Since you won't typically be feeding the speaker more than a few watts during normal use anyway, even at loud volumes in most situations, it's not really a hugely important factor. Typically due to the first point I mentioned above, you can go a good 20% above the speaker's power handling spec with the amp size without causing any damage to the speaker... ever.

Long story short; I wouldn't worry about power output or handling specs.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #8 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Also those KEF speakers seem like there are some really good prices on Newegg and such. I have never heard of them but I have never gotten this deep into home audio before. Are they of higher quality than Klipsch (Klipsch are the best I've heard but that's only because of places like best buy where I have listened to expensive audio equipment). Are Klipsch just better marketed? They look really fancy too lol. Thank you.
post #9 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome thank you for that info Glasswolf! I'm pretty sure I understand it, in short the receivers I'm looking at will work just fine with the speakers I'm looking at.
post #10 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 06:55 AM

KEF are great if you go with their higher end stuff at least. I own at least 7 KEF Reference speakers at present. Their speakers range anywhere from the $300 region up to their flagship Muon speakers at $198,000/pair. They are made in Maidstone, England, and Raymond Cooke, who founded KEF, did so in the 1970s, and passed away in the 1990s.
Great company.

Klipsch is OK, though not a personal favorite of mine for the most part. MartinLogan is another outstanding speaker company, as is Definitive Technologies (DefTech) and B&W (Bower & Wilkins) if you want to listen to some really quality speakers.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #11 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Awesome thank you for that info Glasswolf! I'm pretty sure I understand it, in short the receivers I'm looking at will work just fine with the speakers I'm looking at.

couldn't have said it better myself

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #12 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Most people find that 7.1 does not add much over 5.1. Some disagree. I advise people to put more money into 5 speakers of better quality rather then 7 of lesser quality.

The power rating of a speaker is the maximum power you can apply to it before it is damaged. It will usually be much higher than the amplifier power rating, and that is the way it should be.

It is like a tire; you car doesn't have to be capable of 130 MPH because you buy a tire that is rated for 130 MPH.

The SENSITIVITY rating of the speaker determines whether your power amplifier is large enough. It is usually a non-issue unless you get speakers with a very low sensitivity (lower than 87 db/watt), or an amplifier rated for less than 40 watts per channel.

Quote:

post #13 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

At commsysman's suggestion I am looking at the KEF iq70 fronts now and iq30 bookshelf backs (I am finding a lot of argument on here between bookshelf and "surround" speakers). I will be doing a lot of gaming and blu ray movies on here but also vinyl and music when I have parties (not that most people care what it sounds like) but I also like to listen to music. I do most of this on my computer speakers right now which are great (for computer speakers) but nothing compared to these bad boys. I'm looking at having most of this stuff bought before I get back from Afghanistan (should be in a couple weeks, pretty exciting). You think I should go ahead and buy the KEF iq70s now? There is a good deal on them and if they are better than the Klipsch (for a touch cheaper) I will go ahead and buy them right now. Will they sound great for movies and games?
post #14 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for my long posts and rants I'm doing all this in the time I have the internet which sometimes isn't available. I need more subwoofer suggestions.
post #15 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

You think I should go ahead and buy the KEF iq70s now? There is a good deal on them and if they are better than the Klipsch (for a touch cheaper) I will go ahead and buy them right now. Will they sound great for movies and games?
I need more subwoofer suggestions.

Be sure or comfortable with your purchase before you buy. KEF is
good and makes some good stuff - however, the IQ70 tends to be
somewhat of a mix bag, on the music side - lacking in the overall
balance and cohesive sound. For party's this may not be a big deal.
If you do buy them, and are coming back within 2 weeks - this will
give you time to audition, inside your return window. They may be
the ones for you.

Subwoofer reccomendations will depend on room size and budget.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #16 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 AM

If you want more info on KEF, there is a KEF owners' thread here in the speaker section. It's a very good thread, and there are a lot of KEF owners who frequent that thread and can offer very good advice on which KEFs to choose.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #17 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:

At commsysman's suggestion I am looking at the KEF iq70 fronts now and iq30 bookshelf backs (I am finding a lot of argument on here between bookshelf and "surround" speakers).

I would be tempted to get the iQ70s and the iQ60 now, and hold off on the iQ30s until last. The iQ series appears to be discontinued, and they are getting harder to find. It's much, much more important to match the front three speakers in the same speaker line than the rears to the rest of the set. If the iQ30s became unavailable for a reasonable price, you could always use a different set of rear speakers. But you definitely need the iQ60.

And I agree with GlassWolf. The AVS KEF owners thread might be a lot of help.

post #18 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I think Klipsch will be just fine for most, as will DefTech.

But if you can KEF for the same price, that would be the way to go IMO.
post #19 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I did not see a budget, but if you in the 1K range, Monitor Audio RX6's are a good choice, they are $1250. I have the RX8's which are almost the same and I love em! Klipsh are great for HT, but I would not say the same for music.
post #20 of 50 Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to stay around $2k-$3k for the entire system, My current system is about a $500 system so this will be a big upgrade. I want quality for my money and hope I get good stuff.
post #21 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Can we get a bookshelf vs surround speakers conversation going without argument?

Also what do you guys recommend for speaker wire? (I have seen varying opinions) Monoprice has really good prices on all cables. Also HDMI cables opinions and banana plugs opinions would be helpful. Thank you.
post #22 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What are you using the surround system for? Music or movies? what ratio of music or movies?

If it's mostly movies, I would gear towards the Klipsch for their higher output and sensitivity. They will give you more impact when watching movies.
For a sub, I would look in the subwoofer forum for suggestions. There are several good subwoofers to be had for under $800
post #23 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I wouldn't worry too much about the high frequencies of the Klipsch, todays receivers have many ways to control this.
post #24 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Can we get a bookshelf vs surround speakers conversation going without argument?

Also what do you guys recommend for speaker wire? (I have seen varying opinions) Monoprice has really good prices on all cables. Also HDMI cables opinions and banana plugs opinions would be helpful. Thank you.

I use 12ga speaker wire from I get my HDMI 1.4 cables from them as well. Great products for the money.
post #25 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Probably 75% movies/video games and 25% music or less, I generally listen to music on my computer and hoping this new surround system makes me listen to music on the new speakers more often.
post #26 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Also this seems to be an important factor - my living rooms size where the surround sound will be. I am not in a position to measure my living room currently but I looked up a plat diagram of the property and it is about 18' x 20'-25' Guessing the 18' is for sure but the other portion I am not sure about. The TV is on the 20'-25' wall and the couches against the other 20'-25' wall directly in front. The TV is around 12' from the couches I would estimate. Hopefully this helps otherwise I will have to bust out the tape measure when I get home. I've never been THIS into my home theatre before and don't want to get TOO crazy with is as I probably won't be able to tell a huge difference overall but I do want quality and something that will work for this size room. Thank you.
post #27 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think Klipsch will be just fine for most, as will DefTech.

But if you can KEF for the same price, that would be the way to go IMO.

Klipsch makes great high efficiency speakers that work well with HT......but what are you doing recommending Deftech? I thought you have standards?
post #28 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Liked: 13
The Klipsch line is somewhat controversial with audiophiles. While it is undebatable they offer outstanding dynamics and efficiency, some of the other sonic qualities are more open to discussion. As previously mentioned, B&W, KEF, PSB & DefTec are some of the more conventional speaker lines that you might consider.

I don't think I saw what AVR you plan to use - many of these speakers present impedance loads to the amp that inexpensive AVR's struggle with.
post #29 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Probably 75% movies/video games and 25% music or less, I generally listen to music on my computer and hoping this new surround system makes me listen to music on the new speakers more often.

OK, so the majority of this system's use is HT......with a little for games and music.

So question on the music end of it: Are you the type of listener who is critical(sits in the sweetspot and listens deeply to what is presented by the speakers)of what is played, or are you the type who is doing other things while music plays in the background? This is an important question. Im a big Kef guy/fan, but Klipsch makes a few products that IMO sound like they would be much better suited for you in this case.
post #30 of 50 Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Looking at the Onkyo TX-NR809 currently it seems to be good bang for the buck.

Generally I listen to music while doing other things I guess I'm just from an overstimulated generation (27 years old) and I'm very busy when I'm in the states usually getting as much done before my next trip. I think with higher quality audio I would sit and just listen from time to time but I am not yet an audiophile, I can appreciate good sound but don't know how big of a difference I could tell between high-end system X vs high-end system Y honestly. I am trying to put this system together knowing almost anything I do will be an upgrade to what I have now but I'm hoping it will give me the ability to appreciate the high quality sound more as I don't have enough experience with it currently. I definitely noticed the difference between cheap headphones and high quality headphones about 2 years ago though and it took trying the high quality ones to truly appreciate and understand the cost difference. Trying to get an "entry-level" but high-end system out of this lol, i don't think i'll ever tell a difference between the $500 and $5000 speaker at least not $4500 worth but I know the system I put together here will be awesome enough to notice for starts. Thanks sorry for the long reply again.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page