Onkyo 809 and Bose 901 w/ EQ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Are these at all compatable? If so, how do I hook it all up? I read a thread here where someone suggested all I needed was a center front sub. That is great but I'd like to utilize the 7.2 AND my Bose wqith EQ. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SChuntsman View Post

Hello all,

Are these at all compatable? If so, how do I hook it all up? I read a thread here where someone suggested all I needed was a center front sub. That is great but I'd like to utilize the 7.2 AND my Bose wqith EQ. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Sorry but what do you mean "center front sub"?
I have a pair of the Bose 901 Concerto's. They have been packed away for a few years because I don't have additional space for a TWO CHANNEL system. That is what the 901's are, two channel, and a fun stereo pair of speakers. I read the same thread that you refer to. There is a way to use the 901's as left and right front speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1. Timber matching is going to be your problem. What do you plan on using for the rest of the speakers? IMO, you will not be happy with the 901's mixed in with other speakers in a home theater setting. Eight of the nine drivers fire out the rear of the speaker. You have a nice receiver with all of the newest features. Find a speaker package that is "up to date", and one that will incorporate itself into your system without rigging and modifying. If you didn't have to use the EQ that has to be used with the 901's, it would be a lot easier. Do you already own the
901's? What are the other speakers.

Espo77
post #3 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I agree with Espo77 - the 901s are not suitable for an HT system. That's because of their extremely wide soundstage which will not match up at all with the onscreen action.

Also, after a brief look at the TX-NR809, unfortunately it doesn't look like it has a tape monitor loop or preamp in/outs so the 901's mandatory active EQ system can be connected.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

You would need to find a receiver with a tape loop and I'm just not familiar with any. Your best bet might be a less expensive 709 and an external amp. The 709 is the least expensive receiver with preamp out jacks and a subwoofer out jack that I'm aware of. Honestly if you're going for home theater I'd move your current setup to a new location as a dedicated music system and start from scratch because I just can't picture the 901s doing movie dialog.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan View Post

That's because of their extremely wide soundstage which will not match up at all with the onscreen action.

WOW! Really??

I'd advise against the sale of any Bose speaker. Much better can be had for far cheaper. Just look at some measurements. I can post some if you'd like.

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #6 of 14 Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

WOW! Really??

I'd advise against the sale of any Bose speaker. Much better can be had for far cheaper. Just look at some measurements. I can post some if you'd like.

Like for $300.00 more per speaker, the Magnepan 1.7...$2000.00/pair..."the greatest bargain in high end speakers"...and Magnepan post's the specs!

Espo77
post #7 of 14 Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Like for $300.00 more per speaker, the Magnepan 1.7...$2000.00/pair..."the greatest bargain in high end speakers"...and Magnepan post's the specs!

EDIT: Sorry I was being a little stupid. Disregard this post.

I'm not a big fan of Magnepan personally, but the OP should check them out. For 2K I'd go for the Philharmonic 2's!

OTOH, while the Phils would be a MAJOR upgrade, the OP can still get something much better than the bose within his original budget.

HAVE:

post #8 of 14 Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

EDIT: Sorry I was being a little stupid. Disregard this post.

I'm not a big fan of Magnepan personally, but the OP should check them out. For 2K I'd go for the Philharmonic 2's!

OTOH, while the Phils would be a MAJOR upgrade, the OP can still get something much better than the bose within his original budget.

Everybody knows Bose is the best. Why do you think all the good cars have Bose installed?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveletnik View Post

Everybody knows Bose is the best. Why do you think all the good cars have Bose installed?

Bahahahaha Oh yeah!!

HAVE:

post #10 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I'm sorry to reply so late but I'm a trucker and am gone alot.
Anyway, it sounds like I've wasted my money on this rec. being that I really want to utilize my Bose 901's for music listening purposes. I had an Onkyo TX 870 that pushed them nicely but crapped about six months ago. The 809 was its replacement so I guess I really goofed since I won't be able to utilize the Bose.

Can anyone recommend a decent comparable rec. that would be equal or better that the TX 870?

Also, I may have a 809 never used reciever for sale for the right price. I guess I'm willing to eat a few to get what I want/need.

Thanks again everyone.

Andy
post #11 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChuntsman View Post

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I'm sorry to reply so late but I'm a trucker and am gone alot.
Anyway, it sounds like I've wasted my money on this rec. being that I really want to utilize my Bose 901's for music listening purposes. I had an Onkyo TX 870 that pushed them nicely but crapped about six months ago. The 809 was its replacement so I guess I really goofed since I won't be able to utilize the Bose.

Can anyone recommend a decent comparable rec. that would be equal or better that the TX 870?

Also, I may have a 809 never used reciever for sale for the right price. I guess I'm willing to eat a few to get what I want/need.

Thanks again everyone.

Andy

The receiver is fine (Although i'm not a huge fan of Onkyo. I personally believe better can be had for the money.) It's the speakers that need changing! :P

HAVE:

post #12 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
SChuntsman: to many people that have actually heard them configured properly, the 901s are fine for a music-only system, so no need to get too bummed out.

If you really want to stick to Bose gear, personally I would use their 201 or 301 models. To me their 6.5" and 8" woofers (respectively) make it easy to blend with a sub plus can easily handle the recommended 80Hz crossover point vs. some tiny fashionable satellite with a single dinky 4 inch "woofer".

Otherwise you have a lot of looking, websurfing and listening to do! (personally I like, among others: Boston Acoustics, NHT, Dynaudio, JBL, Infinity, Definitive Technology, B&W, certain Cerwin-Vegas)
post #13 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan View Post

Otherwise you have a lot of looking, websurfing and listening to do! (personally I like, among others: Boston Acoustics, NHT, Dynaudio, JBL, Infinity, Definitive Technology, B&W, certain Cerwin-Vegas)

B&W and Cerwin-Vega! are trash. The others are definitely worth looking into depending on your budget.

HAVE:

post #14 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM

If you really want to keep the Bose 901. Harman Kardon 3390 or 3490 both models come with the traditional Tape Monitor Loop features that you need for your 901.http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...7229113&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...7229113&sr=8-2

The 3390 currently on sale for $229 that is the lowest you could get. The 3490 could have for $279 sometimes (Check J&R).

I was in your situatuion 6 months ago and almost get the 3490 to go stereo for music only. But I ended up sold my 901 and moved on with my HT setup( HK 7550HD, Energy RC70 for front, RCLCR for center, Polk rti4-existing- for suround, Klipsch vs14-again existing- for rear and Klipsch RW-12D sub).
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page